What do you use to 'treat' hypos ?

stonyb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
In the early years I used things like Lucozade tabs - but didn't like the taste/feel in the mouth when chewing, not to mention the fact that they would crumble in my pocket and leave a mess.
Eventually came across Maxim Instant Energy Gel - find it very convenient, portable for out and about, and tastes OK - so have now been using this as my emergency pack for at least 10 yrs.

Would be interested to know what other T1's use as for their 'emergencies'

D

Diabeticliberty

For me it used to be orange Lucozade but now the little..........darlings at Smith Klein Beecham have cut the sugar content dramatically. I now use home made lemon barley water which a friend cooks up for me. 60g of sugar in a full bottle. I don't like chewing jelly babies or jelly beans which quite a lot of tyoe 1's that i know rely on. I have been known to make short work of a Mars Bar when the proverbial hits the proverbial fan

shelleyh

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi stonyb
I use jelly beans or jelly babies. 3-5 jellies will usually raise my blood sugar by 1mmol.
They taste much better than Energy Gel and Lucazade tabs

Reactions: James1968

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
In the early years I used things like Lucozade tabs - but didn't like the taste/feel in the mouth when chewing, not to mention the fact that they would crumble in my pocket and leave a mess.
Eventually came across Maxim Instant Energy Gel - find it very convenient, portable for out and about, and tastes OK - so have now been using this as my emergency pack for at least 10 yrs.

Would be interested to know what other T1's use as for their 'emergencies'

Hi @stonyb ,

"Emergencies." That was what I called my "pocket stuffers" as a kid.. :)

Jelly babies. Or if gigging? Any sugared soft drink..

mytype1.life

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I tend to use mini cans of non diet drinks or half a carton of juice - I feel like these are the quickest fix for me

Reactions: himtoo

stonyb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
For me it used to be orange Lucozade but now the little..........darlings at Smith Klein Beecham have cut the sugar content dramatically. I now use home made lemon barley water which a friend cooks up for me. 60g of sugar in a full bottle. I don't like chewing jelly babies or jelly beans which quite a lot of tyoe 1's that i know rely on. I have been known to make short work of a Mars Bar when the proverbial hits the proverbial fan
What do you use when out and about - do you have the bottle with you all the time?

D

Diabeticliberty

What do you use when out and about - do you have the bottle with you all the time?

If I'm in fast flowing water then my hip bag has 2 straps below it which will readily hold a small Lucozade sized bottle. This is useful when teaching or wading through some of the rivers I frequent. In the car I carry 2 x 6 packs of orange Lucozade or lemon barley or a combination of both. If cycling then I have a refill bottle on my bike. If I'm walking my puppy then I will stick a plastic bottles in my back pocket. If I'm in meetings then ill have bottles on the table in front of me ahd on and on it goes. I just don't like chewing jellied sweets on low blood sugar

Reactions: James1968
D

Deleted Account

Glucotabs for me. Easy to measure. Come in a useful plastic tube which avoids the dextrose dust in my pocket.
I buy in bulk and decant into old tubes. Taste ok but not so nice others think they are sweeties for them. No problem flying with them like any drinks.

Cumberland

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Foodwise Nuts & Mushrooms (Vomit)
Lucozade, Dextrose Tabs or Glucogel

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Rowntree's fruit pastilles for me -- 3cho per pastille -- very quick ( and tasty too )

Reactions: GrantGam
D

Deleted member 308541

What's better than a spooky drummer as an avatar:)

What a band!
Mick is the greatest.

Yes they are, I have some cd's with Peter Green in the band still.

I can't help about the shape I'm in
I can't sing, I ain't pretty and my legs are thin
But don't ask me what I think of you
I might not give the answer that you want me to

"Oh well" back on topic...

Reactions: GrantGam

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Mick is the greatest.

Yes they are, I have some cd's with Peter Green in the band still.

"Oh well" back on topic...
Peter Green, some man! John Mayall and the blues breakers are something I wish I was old enough to have experienced.

Last edited:

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Indeed it is Mick Fleetwood.

Rumours are good, but truth is better:) Wait, or am I thinking of another band?
the only band I can think of is kings of convenience.

Grumpy ole thing

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
discovering you cant actually turn the stairs round, or move the roof...
Glucotabs (raspberry flavour), as per @helensaramay above. At home I have M and S mint crumblies...lovely