Carb counting

JennieS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Having been newly diagnosed - should Carb counting be this stressful?

Reactions: Freema

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
hi @JennieS
what is it you are finding stressful ??

I agree it is not much fun to have to continually count everything we eat while the rest of the world gorges themselves willy nilly

have you got the book carbs and cals ?
or the same as an app on your phone.

carb counting is sort of one of those things we just gotta sort of take in our stride -- not a lot of fun but helps keep our sugars in check
xx

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey @JennieS:)

Take a deep breath and relax, it'll all come in good time.

@himtoo has suggested carbs and cals which is excellent. The book (IMO) tends to be more comprehensive than the app is. Although it's a fair weight to carry around!

Google searching "carb content in_____" is also handy - but bear in mind that some entries may be US ones where the fibre is yet to be deducted from the total carbs.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
It gets easier as time passes. I just found the carb value of Daddies Sauce last night. It surprised me but, hey, no biggy. The carb and cal book has been a godsend for me, it was just a case of taking the guesswork out of carb counting.

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It gets easier as time passes. I just found the carb value of Daddies Sauce last night. It surprised me but, hey, no biggy. The carb and cal book has been a godsend for me, it was just a case of taking the guesswork out of carb counting.
Have you tried the app @Guzzler? I was discussing my issues with the dietician on my carb counting course today. I'm still to ascertain whether it's just me having the issues or whether the app isn't getting the upkeep it needs.

Basically, there is more food items in the book.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Have you tried the app @Guzzler? I was discussing my issues with the dietician on my carb counting course today. I'm still to ascertain whether it's just me having the issues or whether the app isn't getting the upkeep it needs.

Basically, there is more food items in the book.

No, have not tried the app as my phone still runs on steam and my tablet is full to bursting with apps that my family have put on it. I love the book as it has pictures of the (metric) servings. Does the app have those?

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No, have not tried the app as my phone still runs on steam and my tablet is full to bursting with apps that my family have put on it. I love the book as it has pictures of the (metric) servings. Does the app have those?
Is your tablet made from sugar as well @Tipetoo?;)

The app is 'meant' to have everything the book does and more via regular updates. There is also the option to personalise the weight of your chosen food type; if you were to know it/have scales.

But I find that there are few/no updates and there are loads of food types missing. It's a real shame as it could be amazing, but it just isn't.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Is your tablet made from sugar as well @Tipetoo?;)

The app is 'meant' to have everything the book does and more via regular updates. There is also the option to personalise the weight of your chosen food type; if you were to know it/have scales.

But I find that there are few/no updates and there are loads of food types missing. It's a real shame as it could be amazing, but it just isn't.

Hah! My tablet is App Resistant.

Reactions: Butterfly1960

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am not T1, but it's near enough for me as it sort of matches the labels on tins and packets.
Regardless, if it matches what's on the tins (or at least a good average across common brands) then it's a **** sight better than a kick in the teeth.

Sure, a T1's carb counting has to be spot on as much as possible - and nutritional labelling is key for that. But in the instances that it's not possible to have access to the nutritional label, a good alternative (to the poor carbs and cals app) would be a much welcomed resource:)

D

Deleted member 308541

a good alternative (to the poor carbs and cals app) would be a much welcomed resource:)
I have the FatSecret app on my android phone, but it has the US nutrition info as default and you have to dig deep to find relevant info,

So I have a link to the FatSecret Australian website with the app in a folder.

Edit: Re the Carbs and Cals app, that has not been updated since February 6, 2014, you would think that paying $6.00 for it that it would be updated regularly.

Reactions: GrantGam

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

It is most "stressful" initially , when you after a while know what is in the most eaten foods you"ll not find it as stressful and of course if you look on it in a positive way you will also not find it as terrible to do ... try to be curious and make it a hobby don't only see it as an evil duty

I use the APP "Lifesum"

Last edited:

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It is most "stressful" initially , when you after a while knows what is in the most eaten foods you"ll not find it as stressful and of course if you look on it in a positive way you will also not find it as terrible to do ... try to be curious and make it a hobby don't only see it as an evil duty
@Freema, so beautifully said:) You are a great forum member, I do hope this place experiences many more years of your input and experience. All the best x

Butterfly1960

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi!
I was diagnosed type2 in March and I think I was in denial!!
Luckily got appt with my DN in April (she's type 1 20 years)
I got lots if useful advice but didn't realise how good til joined this forum! Also as she advised! But I was still in denial til I booked an acupuncture session....big believer in complementary therapies
My therapist also have me nutrition advice which I've followed faithfully! Just the odd slipup !!
My BG tests down from 16s in July to regular 6s to date by following low carb dairy free and GF. No meat but I eat fish sometimes as a personal choice for 40ish years
But my best choice was to follow this forum... So many threads and posts to choose from.... And all helpful support/advice since July joined up

Butterfly1960

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi!
I was diagnosed type2 in March and I think I was in denial!!
Luckily got appt with my DN in April (she's type 1 20 years)
I got lots if useful advice but didn't realise how good til joined this forum! Also as she advised! But I was still in denial til I booked an acupuncture session....big believer in complementary therapies
My therapist also have me nutrition advice which I've followed faithfully! Just the odd slipup !!
My BG tests down from 16s in July to regular 6s to date by following low carb dairy free and GF. No meat but I eat fish sometimes as a personal choice for 40ish years
But my best choice was to follow this forum... So many threads and posts to choose from.... And all helpful support/advice since July joined up

D

Deleted Account

Carb counting is a pest and definitely something I wish I could ignore.
However, it is a necessity that I have found my way around through practice.
- I started by learning what has lots of carbs (bread, pasta, cake, ...), what has no carbs (cheese, fish, meat, ...), what has a few carbs which when injecting can be ignored (most vegetables) and a few things in between such as fruit.
- I read food packaging ... when it has some. I am a big fan of cooking from scratch and avoiding cellophane wrapped apples (and the like) so much of what I eat is not labelled.
- I don't use carbs and cals because I was famished by the time I found the food I was about to eat in the book/app. I use Google "carbs in..." (and remember @GrantGam's comment about US sites including fibre ... which we don't digest)
- I do not try to be overly precise. The only way to accurately measure how many carbs are in a meal is to burn it and weigh the remaining carbon. Everything else is a good approximation: carbs in fruit and veg vary according to how ripe they are, how much sun they got, what the soil was like; sandwiches vary according to how much filling someone put in them; even packaged stuff varies as you may have the slice of cake with more fruit in or how the lasagne was may not be thoroughly mixed before it was poured into the packet.
- I accept I will get it wrong some times so I test and correct.

It definitely gets better over time.

Key_master_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Regardless, if it matches what's on the tins (or at least a good average across common brands) then it's a **** sight better than a kick in the teeth.

Sure, a T1's carb counting has to be spot on as much as possible - and nutritional labelling is key for that. But in the instances that it's not possible to have access to the nutritional label, a good alternative (to the poor carbs and cals app) would be a much welcomed resource:)

My fitness pal has a pretty good nutritional info on it. When you add your food enteriez. You can also scan the barcode of your items if they have one and it saves them for quick access and calculations later. Brings up supermarket own brand items too. Very handy source if you don't want to use the book.

Reactions: Fairygodmother

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I've never found carb-counting stressful or a problem other than when eating at restaurant. What do you find stressful about it?