Libre Question

AlexMagd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hiya,

Have been thinking about getting the Freestyle Libre, mainly because the data I think would be really interesting (and of course would be good to avoid pricking my fingers all the time) and I had a quick question: do you need the reader as well as the sensors? The website implies that you can use the app to scan the sensors, rather than the reader, so obviously if I can save some money by not being the reader that would be great!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hiya,

Have been thinking about getting the Freestyle Libre, mainly because the data I think would be really interesting (and of course would be good to avoid pricking my fingers all the time) and I had a quick question: do you need the reader as well as the sensors? The website implies that you can use the app to scan the sensors, rather than the reader, so obviously if I can save some money by not being the reader that would be great!

You can use a phone instead of the reader but it has to be a certain type of phone. They don't all work, and I'm afraid I don't know which type. However, I find the reader excellent. It gives more information that the phone app as you can download (export) all the 15 minute readings it does between your own scans so you get a better idea of the actual levels every 15 minutes rather than estimating them from a graph. If you have a PC the graphs are excellent to view on a big screen. Go for it!

charliebarker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The app on my android blackberry is great. Saves having to carry yet another device (that presumably needs charging or batteries). if you sign up for librelink you can get ALL the data that the reader gives you, including graphs and the 15 minutes levels on a spreadsheet for the nerds amongst us. I have found it very useful and not that far off in terms of levels versus finger prick. My only problem is they seem to fall off after a week - but as long as your not intolerant of tape or plasters, there's lots of advice on the forum as to how to keep it attached!

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The phone has to have the Near Field Communication facility (NFC) which is the bit that works like credit card that goes beep.
It is a desirable facility for a number of reasons and so the manufacturer is bound to mention it in his advertising literature.

Mad@cow

Hey just piggybacking on here. When I first got the libre I used it with my phone (Samsung J3) and I had the sensors fail after one or two days. I wondered if my phone was the issue and after some online research I discovered others were having the same issue. So I went back to solely using the reader and I haven't had any issues since. I've changed phones now to the Samsung A5 but I'm a bit nervous to use it as a scanner even though it is much more convienient. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with using this phone as their scanner. Thanks!

barrym

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
The phone has to have the Near Field Communication facility (NFC) which is the bit that works like credit card that goes beep.
It is a desirable facility for a number of reasons and so the manufacturer is bound to mention it in his advertising literature.
I'm not sure that all NFC chips are equal! There is talk of another app, Glimp, blowing up sensors. This struck me as unlikely, and the Glimp web site claims that there app is not the cause, but that it is the NFC chips in certain phones. No evidence I can find on which phones if any that is, or even that any sensors have been blown by the app itself, rather than them just failing.

As a first stop, if the play store says compatible, I guess that it probably is. And I'm sure that Abbott would look favourably on replacing a sensor if there were any problems.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm not sure that all NFC chips are equal! There is talk of another app, Glimp, blowing up sensors. This struck me as unlikely, and the Glimp web site claims that there app is not the cause, but that it is the NFC chips in certain phones. No evidence I can find on which phones if any that is, or even that any sensors have been blown by the app itself, rather than them just failing.

As a first stop, if the play store says compatible, I guess that it probably is. And I'm sure that Abbott would look favourably on replacing a sensor if there were any problems.
Thank goodness I own a scanner then. Any evidence anyone has on which phones do what would be useful.

barrym

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I have a scanner too, and as a matter of interest when doing comparisons I've never had a difference between scanner and app on my phone. If you think about it, it's no surprise. Once the sensor has sensed, it's all digital regardless of what reads it, and as the LibreLink app is Abbott approved, I can only assume it has the same code as the scanner. Glimp however can do what it wants and seems it gives a very 'raw' view of the numbers whilst the Abbott reporting is smoothed or manipulated to give more meaningful information. I think!

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't have the scanner and only use my phone. Works perfect. I used a samsung s3 mini first and recently I switched to samsung j3. Wasn't even a problem to switch halfway through the sensor.

AlexMagd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That's great, thanks guys. I think I will probably give it a go using my phone as it seems to be supported (Samsung A3). I'm about to go on a three week holiday and am concerned about managing testing when I'm out and about. Seems like the Libre would be a good solution!

Got to be honest though, I don't know if I will ever stop giggling whenever the promotional videos ask me "why prick?"

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
That's great, thanks guys. I think I will probably give it a go using my phone as it seems to be supported (Samsung A3). I'm about to go on a three week holiday and am concerned about managing testing when I'm out and about. Seems like the Libre would be a good solution!

Got to be honest though, I don't know if I will ever stop giggling whenever the promotional videos ask me "why prick?"

Best gadget there is for us T2s when on holiday - but you need to cross check it with several finger pricks at different time (high and low ones) to work out how much it differs from your meter (on average). Good luck!

AlexMagd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Best gadget there is for us T2s when on holiday - but you need to cross check it with several finger pricks at different time (high and low ones) to work out how much it differs from your meter (on average). Good luck!

Thanks @Bluetit1802 - I'm just reading the rather lengthy "life with Libre" thread at the moment to get a sense of what to expect (and also how to make sure it stays on for the full two weeks!) and your contributions have already been invaluable :)

Reactions: Bluetit1802

dazwalshe

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Be careful with the app.. lots of reports of it killing the sensor... and Samsung s7 does not work with the app... some people have done some magic on there phones to get it to work.. but I wouldn't risk it personally. As for the libre.. do it.. I cannot praise it enough.. 17 years I've had hba of 77 plus... been using libre since beginning of this year... hba are now 56..53...60.. massive improvement... no looking back... do it.. you will not regret it... good luck

AlexMagd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well, just applied my first sensor. Couldn't believe how painless it was. Currently sitting on the back of my arm under a transparent dressing plaster to keep it secure. Have decided to wait about 24 hours as has been recommended elsewhere but it was such a smooth process I can't imagine there's much inflammation to worry about at the application site.

Only downside is I work in a building full of beeping noises - doors opened by keycards everywhere! - so now I'm paranoid that the beep I heard when I left the bathroom was something from the office accidentally triggering the sensor lol. Guess I'll find out when I activate it tomorrow.

AlexMagd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The app on my android blackberry is great. Saves having to carry yet another device (that presumably needs charging or batteries). if you sign up for librelink you can get ALL the data that the reader gives you, including graphs and the 15 minutes levels on a spreadsheet for the nerds amongst us. I have found it very useful and not that far off in terms of levels versus finger prick. My only problem is they seem to fall off after a week - but as long as your not intolerant of tape or plasters, there's lots of advice on the forum as to how to keep it attached!

@charliebarker how do you export the 15 minute levels from the app? Share the Daily Graph to an email account? I, too, am a spreadsheet nerd!

charliebarker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@charliebarker how do you export the 15 minute levels from the app? Share the Daily Graph to an email account? I, too, am a spreadsheet nerd!
I do it from the website. The app automatically uploads the info - and then once on the libreview website you 'export patient's glucose data' from the link below the graphs on the dashboard page. It downloads ALL the historical data every time, which is a tad annoying, but I just copy and paste the relevent day onto my own spreadsheet and voila!

AlexMagd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I do it from the website. The app automatically uploads the info - and then once on the libreview website you 'export patient's glucose data' from the link below the graphs on the dashboard page. It downloads ALL the historical data every time, which is a tad annoying, but I just copy and paste the relevent day onto my own spreadsheet and voila!

Did you have to link the app to the website somehow? At the moment logged into LibreView I only see the option to link a reader via USB, not the app ("connect reader to computer"). Sorry for denseness...

charliebarker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think it did it automatically - as long as you've registered with the same details on both the librelink app and the libreview site. I certainly didn't have to connect a reader, as I don't have one. I've looked on the reader tab and it looks like I have a reader, but its named 'blackberry' (my phone) so I know it's linked.

Have you registered with both ??