Importance?

paulliljeros

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
They both have their own roles, and so are both required for their own reasons. Should you miss either, than it is possible to work around it. I.e. if you were to miss basal, then you can just micro-dose with bolus throughout the day, or if you reduce carbs significantly, you can technical miss or at least reduce bolus, but neither is an ideal option. In a sense, pump therapy technically removes the slow acting basal insulin, and replaces it with a constant "drip feed"/micro-dose of bolus 24/7.

Reactions: Dodo

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Both really, but why do you ask? (why would you plan on not taking one or the other?! :wideyed:)

nessals946

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Both really, but why do you ask? (why would you plan on not taking one or the other?! :wideyed:)
Im running short of novorapid.My prescription isnt due til weds afternoon and i dont think i'll have enough.My gp surgery do not give emergency scripts.My bad planning so all my own fault.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hi @nessals946 as a Diabetic, there's no such thing as being allowed to run out. Go and see your pharmacy and explain the situation. They will almost certainly provide you with at least one pen/cartridge of Novorapid until your prescription comes in. Get them to call your docs if necessary. As a T1, you shouldn't be on a "schedule" for insulin. It should be requestable when you need it.

Reactions: Diabeticliberty

nessals946

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi @nessals946 as a Diabetic, there's no such thing as being allowed to run out. Go and see your pharmacy and explain the situation. They will almost certainly provide you with at least one pen/cartridge of Novorapid until your prescription comes in. Get them to call your docs if necessary. As a T1, you shouldn't be on a "schedule" for insulin. It should be requestable when you need it.
Thats a great idea.Thank you for that,i was panicking a little!

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Tim beat me to it, go to your usual pharmacy and they will give you an emergency supply - even if it's your **** up they can't let you go with out.

Glad I asked why you were even contemplating not taking either!

You could go low carb though..............:arghh:

D

Deleted Account

If you eat very low carb for a few days, can you eek your NovoRapid out?

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'll try but im going to see the pharmacist first,hope they will take pity on me
hi nessals946 your pharmacy should lend you the insulin till your prescription is ready they would never leave you without let us know how you get on xx

Reactions: Dodo

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How did it go at the pharmacy?

BTW nice dog!

rockape37

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Over the top political correctness
Basal is the one you should take but obviously both. You could go carb free and do a basal test while you are waiting, just a thought if you end up being stuck.

As the others have said your pharmacy will help you out. I've been offered insulin before.

Regards

Martin