Puzzled - need advice

Decruz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I started having dinner at 6 pm. Guests came and we had dinner at a chinese restaurant. Ended dinner at about 7.15 pm.

I had:
1. A bit of fried rice, a bit of white rice
2. A bit of crab, one prawn
3. Some chicken meat
4. Thai Coconut drink
5. A bit of yam
6. Some fried fish
7. Alot of veges

Took a test of BG as I suspected that it will shoot up. Took at 9.25 and it was 5.0 mmol/L.

Why?

I did swim a bit this afternoon though and it was 5.7 mmol/L after the swim at 3.30 pm

Hopefully someone can enlighten me on this

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
I have had Chinese before now. I had bean sprouts, beef in garlic and ginger sauce, and crispy salt and pepper chicken. Felt sure that perhaps my blood sugar would rise but when I took the test 5.3. I do not make a habit of having Chinese just once every few weeks with no noodles or rice,but I like you thought I might of had a rise in BG

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I wonder if you missed the spike? I normally test at first bite of a meal and two hours after first bite. So the two hour test in your case should have been at 8pm. It was a long drawn out meal but even if you tested two hours after you'd finished that would have been 9.15 so you were late anyway.

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
My first thought would be to agree with Rachox: maybe you didn't eat an excessive quantity, your levels were ok beforehand, then you spiked reasonably high, but not madly, and it dropped quite rapidly. There's also the thought that fat might have offset the carbs, but it doesn't look like there was that much fat in your meal. I did once see a Japanese theory that eating vegetables first can help keep spikes down too, so possibly if you had plenty of choi sum or similar dark leafy veg, it might have helped.

In any event, you had a good result! Good for you!

Decruz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I wonder if you missed the spike? I normally test at first bite of a meal and two hours after first bite. So the two hour test in your case should have been at 8pm. It was a long drawn out meal but even if you tested two hours after you'd finished that would have been 9.15 so you were late anyway.

So i should take the test 2 hours after the first bite? And not 2 hours after my last bite? Coz i was confused with the "2 hours after meal" definition. I ate for 1 hour anyway.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So i should take the test 2 hours after the first bite? And not 2 hours after my last bite? Coz i was confused with the "2 hours after meal" definition. I ate for 1 hour anyway.
It would normally be 2 hours after first bite, but I'm not really sure how accurate this is with a drawn out meal such as yours was! Someone more experienced may know, I'm only four months into this diabetes lark!

Reactions: dbr10

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes - testing is normally comparing the level before eating and the level two hours after you begin to eat, not after stopping. With easily digested foods - such as white rice, the rise is swift.

Reactions: dbr10

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
The two hour test tells you how well your body has dealt with the spike. It does not tell you how high you actually went. Testing at 1 hour after first bite will give you the spike or close enough.

Decruz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks all for input. Today i tried post meal again. Started eating at 6.10 pm. Took the test at 8.05 pm. 6.6 mmol/L

Wonder if that is good? Or should I aim below 6 mmol/L?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks all for input. Today i tried post meal again. Started eating at 6.10 pm. Took the test at 8.05 pm. 6.6 mmol/L

Wonder if that is good? Or should I aim below 6 mmol/L?

But you didn't test before the meal? You need to do that too so you can see how much your blood sugar has gone up.
6.6 looks ok but if you were for example 3.6 before eating then 6.6 after 2 hours is high.... a spike of 3 mmol/l if however you were at 5.6 before starting to eat then the 1 mmol/l rise is fine.