Type of diabetes
Type 2
Oh my!!! You are my inspiration!!!
Thank you Decruz! I feel that if my results inspire just one other, then I am totally delighted!

How then can we, who are taking positive action to control our condition, encourage others to take up the gauntlet of LCHF? It is daunting but so worth it! Thank heavens for this website and forums. The only downside is that one must be searching for a way to beat diabetes to come across the amazing info that is available on t'interweb. So many of T2s that I know are in denial - I will not criticise as I was for most of my T2 life

I'd like to thank Robert_D for the OP in this thread - it is well worth reminding T2 "old timers" that its never too late to take positive action and it feels so good!

Reactions: wolfie53

Biggles2

Wonderful, inspirational results @Robert_D and @shrinking_violet. Thank you for sharing! @shrinking_violet you could be my twin there are so many similarities between your story and mine! I am off all meds (was on Met 2gm/day), I am now diet controlled, and eat to the meter. My last HbA1c was 29 mmol/mol (4.8%), I have lost 71/2 stone (105lbs). LCHF and eating to my meter has definitely worked for me!

Reactions: Robert_D

marathonmona

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Wonderful, inspirational results @Robert_D and @shrinking_violet. Thank you for sharing! @shrinking_violet you could be my twin there are so many similarities between your story and mine! I am off all meds (was on Met 2gm/day), I am now diet controlled, and eat to the meter. My last HbA1c was 29 mmol/mol (4.8%), I have lost 71/2 stone (105lbs). LCHF and eating to my meter has definitely worked for me!

SEVEN AND A HALF STONE!!!

Reactions: Biggles2

Robert_D

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates and lack of testing strips being supplied due to NICE rules.
@Decruz As you were only recently diagnosed just 9 months ago and your post meal readings are excellent I would suggest that you are ideally placed to take the initiative and take complete control of your lifestyle condition if that is the cause of your diabetes diagnosis and can relatively simply achieve controlled non diabetic Hba1c reading quite quickly.
All being equal you should be able to forget about where you will be in 20 years on your diabetes journey if you take charge now.

B

badcat

I was diagnosed in my late 30's in 1997 and told on diagnosis that Id aredy been diabetic for at least 15-20 years - bit of shock give that I had been tested multiple times as a child and been told I wasnt diabetic
I was started on insulin pump but rejected continuing on insulin but accepted Gliclizide as diet alone didnt work.
Some years prior to diagnosis I was tested for food intolerances and lost 61/2 stone in 6 months during the process which has remained lost with a bit more for good measure
I have aggressivley used dietary changes using my meter in a scentific way and removing / adjusting foods according to the results in order to ensure the predicted "inevitable" progressive worsening of diabetes did not happen and have kept biabetes stable for 20 years. With the Glic my Hba1c is consistently in the 40's - sometimes in the prediabetic level sometimes in the non diabetic area. Stopping meds doesnt work for more than a few days whatever dietary approach Ive followed as both sugars and ketones rise to unacceptable levels but Im happy enough keeping things on a level with a low dose of Glic

Last edited by a moderator:

Robert_D

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Congrats @badcat you are abundantly on top of your game and are proof that taking responsibility for how one lives and what they take dietary wise goes a long way to taking control of one's diabetic condition.
Others may just take their diabetic medication and not bother further but it is clear that your last Hba1c results are testimony to the tight controls you have managed to maintain. Highly commended.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I was diagnosed in my late 30's in 1997 and told on diagnosis that Id aredy been diabetic for at least 15-20 years - bit of shock give that I had been tested multiple times as a child and been told I wasnt diabetic
I was started on insulin pump but rejected continuing on insulin but accepted Gliclizide as diet alone didnt work.
Some years prior to diagnosis I was tested for food intolerances and lost 61/2 stone in 6 months during the process which has remained lost with a bit more for good measure
I have aggressivley used dietary changes using my meter in a scentific way and removing / adjusting foods according to the results in order to ensure the predicted "inevitable" progressive worsening of diabetes did not happen and have kept biabetes stable for 20 years. With the Glic my Hba1c is consistently in the 40's - sometimes in the prediabetic level sometimes in the non diabetic area. Stopping meds doesnt work for more than a few days whatever dietary approach Ive followed as both sugars and ketones rise to unacceptable levels but Im happy enough keeping things on a level with a low dose of Glic
Amazing!! Proof (if any more were actually needed) that our "treatment" is in our own hands. I am convinced that, with a little help and encouragement from our HCPs, we can (and obviously do) triumph!!!!!

Robert_D

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Wow that is great and a real encouragement to anyone who has been type 2 for a long time. I'd love to be a fly on the wall during your next consultation!

Updated original post.after DN appt earlier today

Last edited:

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
I've reversed mine too.
I ate to my meter LCHF.
Porridge every morning come rain or shine.
I'm in the U.K and get free meter and strips.

Robert_D

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I've reversed mine too.
I ate to my meter LCHF.
Porridge every morning come rain or shine.
I'm in the U.K and get free meter and strips.

Interesting @JTL. How do you qualify for free strips under The National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence (NICE) guidelines?

Reactions: wolfie53

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
Interesting @JTL. How do you qualify for free strips under The National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence (NICE) guidelines?
The guidelines say not to give them to people who are showing no improvement.

Robert_D

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The guidelines say not to give them to people who are showing no improvement.

Interestingly this very website Diabetes UK gives the following information;

"NICE recommendations
The National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence (NICE) recommends that self-monitoring should be available for people on diabetes medication to help provide information to avoid hypoglycaemia, to assess fluctuations in blood glucose, to cope with periods of illness and to ensure against accidents during dangerous activities such as driving or operating certain machinery."

"people on diabetes medication"

The reality for most type 2's is if you have had the condition for a number of years not using strips, you are unlikely to benefit from free strips if you are not on insulin and in most cases they are rationed in any event by most trusts (more so) for those just on metformin. (and even more so) and/or just diet interventions.

You appear to have medical conditions outside of just diabetes type 2 and not being on any diabetes medications as you have stated in your signature, may have a bearing on why you personally are treated differently to the bulk of type 2's which don't benefit by getting free test strips in the UK off meds. ....So well done to you sir as you have an understanding NHS Trust.that is open to prescribing free strips for "people on diabetes medication" or not as in your case..............

Last edited:

James2

This is my first post (so excuse the length) but wanted to post my journey of "taking back control" as I never come across postings about long term diabetics of 10 years plus (on meds for years) turning their situations around and becoming med free and if there are any they appear hidden..

congratulations Robert D
sorry i removed most of your amazing experience but it would not let me post a reply. your story prompted me to look about a plant only diet .just one question if you cant use olive oil or coconut oil what do you use to cook?
regards
James2

James2

hi
if we are to start regaining control and have a good idea what may trigger variation in our blood glucose how else can we do it but take readings.the mantra i have got you have type 2 and you dont need it ,well i disagree personally it is about cost and i appreciate the nhs cant fund everything so i feel well i fund it myself and be pro active in doing everything i can to get to gripes with my type 2
james2

Robert_D

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi James2 I only removed Olive Oil as my main aim was to be on a low carb and low fat regime to lose weight quickly. This was achieved and presently I am 11 Stone 8 lbs (73.48 Kilos/ 162 pounds) from 14 stone 9 lbs (93 kilos 205 pounds) and have now incorporated olive oil (spray sparingly) to give my mixed leaves salad some coating and I steam Tender stem broccoli and a few queen olives and mix. I eat to my meter and that meant I dropped porridge and any all starchy veg which caused any BG spikes and am still off all diabetic meds since late July including statins (replaced with Pant sterols).
I am testimony to taking back control after 17 years and however one controls their blood sugars, testing is (always) key to that control being taken back. Believe that and you will make a difference.

dm2-one

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi James2 I only removed Olive Oil as my main aim was to be on a low carb and low fat regime to lose weight quickly. This was achieved and presently I am 11 Stone 8 lbs (73.48 Kilos/ 162 pounds) from 14 stone 9 lbs (93 kilos 205 pounds) and have now incorporated olive oil (spray sparingly) to give my mixed leaves salad some coating and I steam Tender stem broccoli and a few queen olives and mix. I eat to my meter and that meant I dropped porridge and any all starchy veg which caused any BG spikes and am still off all diabetic meds since late July including statins (replaced with Pant sterols).
I am testimony to taking back control after 17 years and however one controls their blood sugars, testing is (always) key to that control being taken back. Believe that and you will make a difference.
Robert, but if you were on low-carb, low-fat, do you mean your diet was high-protein? or you mean it was overall low-calories? is it still the same now that you seem to aim for maintaining the weight and glucose leveles?

Robert_D

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Robert, but if you were on low-carb, low-fat, do you mean your diet was high-protein? or you mean it was overall low-calories? is it still the same now that you seem to aim for maintaining the weight and glucose leveles?
Hi @dm2-one No it isn't high-protein as it is fundamentally still whole plant vegan 6 days a week and raw salmon and soy/wasabi sauce 1 day a week. It is low calorie by default but was not consciously by design set out as a low calorie regime when I first started out in June but it has panned out that way by simply eating to my meter. A few almonds (10) for breakfast and leafy salad with steamed tender stem (dropped in cold water to give it a crunchy texture), a few olives etc for lunch and same for dinner., but I am not as stated earlier, consciously counting calories but it is obvious that it is low fat and very lean.
I have increased my salmon portions.
My whole relationship with food has changed since being on this regime and has evolved and my appetite has materially reduced. A low carb intake seems to encourage that and the regime has become strangely much simpler and easier to adhere too over time. I am not finding it difficult to stick too and am surprised how easy it is to apply after a few weeks. I feel great and will retest my HbA1c again first week in December. Testing BG doesn't seem go any higher than 7.8 on odd occasions but usually averages at 6.8-7.1 after meals. The weight is keeping off (obviously) and I am never hungry. I consider that a success at this time
It won't come as a surprise that the weight loss has slowed over the last 4 weeks and appears to have stabilised @ the 11 stone 8 to 11 stone 9 range, so maintenance appears to have been achieved. I don't feel the need to start adding carbs etc back into my diet and am happy to keep things as is. As the saying goes if it aint broke don't fix it.
I can't lie, I do find it amusing that the psychology of food and how I interact with it has changed quite dramatically for me
I keep away as I have mentioned previously from starch and high carbs and the appetite has remained low.which makes it easier to stick too. Some may think it a mundane regime and my old self would agree but my new self doesn't seem to mind. Hope that helps.

Last edited:

dm2-one

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi @dm2-one No it isn't high-protein as it is fundamentally still whole plant vegan 6 days a week and raw salmon and soy/wasabi sauce 1 day a week. It is low calorie by default but was not consciously by design set out as a low calorie regime when I first started out in June but it has panned out that way by simply eating to my meter. A few almonds (10) for breakfast and leafy salad with steamed tender stem (dropped in cold water to give it a crunchy texture), a few olives etc for lunch and same for dinner., but I am not as stated earlier, consciously counting calories but it is obvious that it is low fat and very lean.
I have increased my salmon portions.
My whole relationship with food has changed since being on this regime and has evolved and my appetite has materially reduced. A low carb intake seems to encourage that and the regime has become strangely much simpler and easier to adhere too over time. I am not finding it difficult to stick too and am surprised how easy it is to apply after a few weeks. I feel great and will retest my HbA1c again first week in December. Testing BG doesn't seem go any higher than 7.8 on odd occasions but usually averages at 6.8-7.1 after meals. The weight is keeping off (obviously) and I am never hungry. I consider that a success at this time
It won't come as a surprise that the weight loss has slowed over the last 4 weeks and appears to have stabilised @ the 11 stone 8 to 11 stone 9 range, so maintenance appears to have been achieved. I don't feel the need to start adding carbs etc back into my diet and am happy to keep things as is. As the saying goes if it aint broke don't fix it.
I can't lie, I do find it amusing that the psychology of food and how I interact with it has changed quite dramatically for me
I keep away as I have mentioned previously from starch and high carbs and the appetite has remained low.which makes it easier to stick too. Some may think it a mundane regime and my old self would agree but my new self doesn't seem to mind. Hope that helps.
Ah, were you tracking your diet with any app or so? I am really curious to know about how much calories from carbs, fat, protein you were getting in general. This is because I have found it is hard to be low in carbs following a vegan/vegetarian diet, in relation to the overall consumption of calories.