Vegetarians: What have you eaten today?

Ledzeptt

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Liquorice and aniseed (especially the tracer I have to drink in hospital before a CT scan - yuk!)
B: Poached egg on Livlife toast

L: Cheese & onion toastie (more Livlife) & salad

D: Nut Roast, couple of potatoes & veg

Snack: Peanut butter on oat cakes

S

Sable_Jan

Sugar puffs & cream
Chip butties on white bread
Saving grace, leeks in cheese sauce but 'erm boiled New potatoes (well buttered of course)
Although home-based it's been a bit of a holidayish week (that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it )

Reactions: Ledzeptt

Art Of Flowers

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast - a piece of carrot with some hummus dip
Snacks when I got to work - baby bell, mixed nuts
Lunch - cheese salad with mayonnaise
Dinner - asparagus with butter followed by strawberries and a little cream

Ledzeptt

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Liquorice and aniseed (especially the tracer I have to drink in hospital before a CT scan - yuk!)
@Sable_Jan Chip butties on white bread is the correct way: you'd be lynched for anything else round here (Manchester). Enjoy your "break".

@Art Of Flowers I'm practically addicted to hummus, but can't start the day with it :)

Talking of "unusual" breakfasts, I've been experimenting with chocolate chia pudding recently and had good results (low impact on BG). I got the idea from https://diatribe.org/three-minute-diabetes-breakfast-changes-lives

I make my version with two teaspoons of Green & Blacks cocoa powder and flavour it with orange or vanilla essence, then add some frozen berries and leave it overnight to absorb the water (I use double recommended i.e. a full cup). I don't have time to mess about in the morning; it's quick, but takes time for the seeds to absorb the water (plus I have digestion problems so it's safer to give the chia time to soften).

With my ingredients it's 34g carbs, but only 7g net carbs, 15g protein, 28g fat, so 444kcal. This makes a filling breakfast, equivalent to a large bowl of porridge.

Reactions: Sable_Jan
S

Sable_Jan

@Sable_Jan Chip butties on white bread is the correct way: you'd be lynched for anything else round here (Manchester). Enjoy your "break".

@Art Of Flowers I'm practically addicted to hummus, but can't start the day with it :)

Talking of "unusual" breakfasts, I've been experimenting with chocolate chia pudding recently and had good results (low impact on BG). I got the idea from https://diatribe.org/three-minute-diabetes-breakfast-changes-lives

I make my version with two teaspoons of Green & Blacks cocoa powder and flavour it with orange or vanilla essence, then add some frozen berries and leave it overnight to absorb the water (I use double recommended i.e. a full cup). I don't have time to mess about in the morning; it's quick, but takes time for the seeds to absorb the water (plus I have digestion problems so it's safer to give the chia time to soften).

With my ingredients it's 34g carbs, but only 7g net carbs, 15g protein, 28g fat, so 444kcal. This makes a filling breakfast, equivalent to a large bowl of porridge.

Well defo a northern thing. Preston isn't all THAT far from Preston

Now I love chia seed pudding and don't know if your version same as mine but couldn't eat it for breakfast. It's lovely with thick whipped (or squirty) cream ... hot or cold.... never tried it with fruit...

S

Sable_Jan

Nothing yesterday and just some homemade "green" soup out of the freezer today and a few Mentos mint crumbles. Figured I could indulge AND help settle my tum at same time..... might have some Burgen toast.....feeling pecks....

Ledzeptt

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
B: Egg on toast (low carb)

L: Veg burger & chips (at ‘Spoons) - ate half the bun/chips, so not quite as “bad”. I think the menu’s carb estimate is too high at 129g anyway (they weren’t that generous with the chips). I enjoyed it: not had chips for a while!

D: planning to eat Carrot & coriander soup later.

Ledzeptt

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
B: Muesli

L: Tofu sausage, egg & few beans

D: Butternut squash, sage & potato “pie” with Veg & a dab of chutney

Snack: Chocolate digestives to stave off a near hypo - good excuse :)

c69e152a41346f5f4b2a4fbd3d1286ce.jpg

Ledzeptt

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
B: Weetabix

L: Butternut squash soup (I think). Egg salad with coleslaw. Mandarins in a pot.

D: Same peachy coloured soup: perhaps it is peach soup :) M&S avocado, feta & grain salad

I’m back in hospital, hence guess the tasteless soup with only the colour to go by. Mrs LZ bought the M&S salad as I couldn’t face the options available; this is only day 2, but I’m probably here at least a week (not Diabetes related).

Reactions: willieandersen

Ledzeptt

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
No squashes were harmed on Weds: apparently it was creamy vegetable soup!

The next day it was obviously mushroom soup and quite tasty. I had egg salad again too; not much choice (with Weetabix for Breakfast).

Thereafter, more mushroom soup and hummus sandwich on low carb bread from home.

I managed to escape late yesterday (Friday). Final chance at “guess the soup” for lunch; the prize being a second bowl of same soup for later. It seemed to be a slightly different coloured veg soup. I stuck with the egg salad for lunch.

I did have the soup before leaving, but left the sandwich I ordered for my bed’s replacement. Later, I ate a “Mediterranean halloumi & bean” ready meal we picked up on the drive home.

I’m moaning over nothing; felt lousy when I arrived and feel much better now!

Reactions: willieandersen
Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Other
B: banana and oatmeal.
L: Wholemeal toast, scrambled eggs, beans
D: Big salad, cheese & tomato quiche
S: Stewed plums, banana & yogurt

Scimama

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Thought I would start to post on this link again so hopefully anyone wanting to try a few veggie dishes may get some ideas.
B: full fat yogurt and flax (usual quick and easy breakfast)
L: slice of protein bread (lower carb) with butter and marmite :)
D: baked mushrooms (large mushrooms stuffed with sprinkle of almond flour absorbs the mushroom juices, garlic, herbs cheese and baked)

Scimama

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
B: full fat yogurt, flaxseed and chia seeds
L: veg soup and low carb cheesy muffin/scone
D: veggie kebab with halloumi

Reactions: eggs11

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I hope I'm allowed to answer even though I'm not a vegetarian, I just didn't eat meat today. Late breakfast was a thin slice of bread with butter and a lot of goats' cheese. That tastes so well that lunch was the same. Dinner was a lot of string beans with sharp blue cheese and celeriac cut in thick slices and put in the oven for 25 minutes, covered with cheese slices for the last couple of minutes. Seasoned with black pepper and smoked paprika. Tasted great, so probably will eat the same dinner tomorrow. I guess I'll eat some nuts before bed.

eggs11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast - green smoothie made of veg and raspberries
Lunch - big pot of alpro plain soya yogurt with almond
tea - 2 M&S salads - greek salad and supergreen salad
snack - 2 squares 85% dark chocolate

Scimama

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@Antje77 and @eggs11 I am happy to see more people on the thread, Its always great to see what others are eating so I can mix up my own menus :) Blue cheese and celeriac sounds yummy,

B: black coffee
L: spicy veg soup
D: cauliflower cheese (homemade with lots of garlic, cream and cheese)

eggs11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B - green smoothie; kale, spinach, avocado, almond milk, raspberries
L - 1 x oatcake, houmous and 2 sun-dried tomatoes, plus more houmous with carrot sticks
D - pesto crusted salmon and salad (mainly veggie but since dx eat a bit of fish twice a week - purely to add variety to protein sources as my usual favourites, lentils and beans, are spiking my bs)
snack - tesco natural soya yogurt

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Well today 'lunch' was a very copious fest to celebrate my aunts' 90'th birthday. Served as breakfast for me too, as I rightly figured it would be a waste to eat breakfast only to be full when getting party food from 12 to 4 PM. It involved all sort of things not to be mentioned in either a vegetarian nor a diabetes thread, so dinner was a thin slice of bread with a lot (read as much as you can fit without everything falling off) of grated raw celeriac with mayonaise, black pepper and a bit of salt. I managed to get my blood sugar back to normal by now as well, despite the icecream this afternoon :)

Scimama

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
B: full fat yogurt and flaxseed
L: cauliflower cheese (leftovers from yesterday)
D: tofu with courgetti and broccoli/kale/seaweed "rice"

(microwave steam bag of broccoli / kale / seaweed "rice" was from Iceland - recommended by member on here- @Key_master _ Thankyou - it is yummy and change to caulirice)

Last edited: