Empagliflozin/Jardiance and Metformin

BeeCee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all just had my medication changed to the above. I've been told that Empagliflozin is new and combined with the metformin will be ideal for me. I was previously on metformin and glicazide. Anyone had experience of Empagliflozin? Been told it effectively flushes the Glucose out in the urine.

Reactions: julie56

Emg23

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi,yes I'm on metformin 4x500mg and since the summer had empagliflozin 25mg added in,my recent hb1ac has improved and I've not had any problems with this combination apart from visiting the loo a bit more often.Good luck beecee

julie56

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Angry people and liver!
Hi, I have recently switched from sitagliptin to dapagliflozin (Forxiga) which operates the same way. I am only 3 weeks in and have had no side effects, apart from losing 5lbs! Hope it works well for you.

BeeCee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks, I'm expecting more frequent visits to the loo and hopefully some weight loss. My hb1ac had got to 8 a year ago but my recent one was 6.4.

BeeCee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Also how come the title of this post has changed from what I had typed in? /Jardiance has been added?

Reactions: Keesha
C

catherinecherub

Also how come the title of this post has changed from what I had typed in? /Jardiance has been added?
Jardiance is the trade name for Empaglifozin and other members may know it by that name.

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
@julie56 - Hi :). I too took Dapagliflozin for a year and lost 1st - 4 lbs and my HBA1C was reduced from 82 to 56. But, I had several episodes of burning urine and thrush towards the last 3 months on the drug, and so it was stopped.

Reactions: SimonCrox

BeeCee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've been warned about the possibility of soreness as a side effect. Took my first dose today, when I saw the size of the tablet I did wonder which end I should be putting it in.

BeeCee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ok two days in taking this and I'm developing a backache. Is this a side effect? Called my DN and as I have an appointment with her on 20th Jan she said to try and tolerate until then but if it gets worse then bring the appointment forward. I'm taking paracetamol and codine to try and alleviate it. I'm wondering if I should go back to the glicazide and metformin I was taking before this?

BeeCee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well it seems the backache has now passed, was it just my kidneys getting used to the drug?

mamawoody

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes in August with a hba1c of 92. I was put straight onto Dapagliflozin as I did not tolerate Metformin well when I had gestational diabetes. I also made a few minor changes to my diet. When they redid my hba1c in December it had dropped to 46, which was a fantastic result! I've not really had any side effects so far either. I'm just hoping the results stay good I was hoping I would lose some weight as that seems to be one of its effects but unfortunately no! I'm slightly overweight, but not obese so maybe that's why, still you can't have everything...

brianhypno

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Ok two days in taking this and I'm developing a backache. Is this a side effect? Called my DN and as I have an appointment with her on 20th Jan she said to try and tolerate until then but if it gets worse then bring the appointment forward. I'm taking paracetamol and codine to try and alleviate it. I'm wondering if I should go back to the glicazide and metformin I was taking before this?
I have the back problem as well. Iam on cocodomol and have been for over 2 weeks. Been on insulin for 4 months as well. How did you get on at the doctors? regards

MauzaM

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I've been taking this drug for a couple of months. I also inject with insulin Humulin 1. I came off the Metformin I've been on for 14years because I was getting terrible pains which felt like angina. The Metformin can cause stomach problems such like this as well as B12 deficiency. I've not experienced too much in the way of back pain, just a niggle sometimes, sometimes queasy but not sick. Reduced tolerance to alcohol.

joeynomates1969

I've tried dapagliflozin and ended up with thrush and burning urination but the worst side effect was incredible palpitations. Just wondered if anyone else can share their experience. My GP wants me to use Empagliflozin, but naturally I am reluctant to do so.

I asked my Dr if i could be put on this instead of Glyclozide, his response was he doesn't like it as it can cause penal thrush, has anybody suffered these side effects?

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Also, please be aware of the risk of ketoacidosis when on this group of drugs. There's a thread on this, but can't find it. Perhaps someone else can? Here's a link to an article on SGLT2 inhibitors. https://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-medication/sglt2-inhibitors.html
I should add that I used to be on Jardiance myself, and had no side effects, but thanks to Low Carb I'm now off it.

Reactions: carina62

cott97

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Took forxiga for 18 months. No weight loss but had 4 UTIs including one that ended up in A&E. Never had one before. Symptoms were non existent until it became a kidney infection. I believe that as I was excreting so much glucose it was causing an infection way up and so not causing the usual UTI symptoms if it happened lower down. I am now off it as the risks of continuous UTIs were too high. However I have had to increase my twice a day insulin and will be moving onto basal/ bolus regime shortly.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've been warned about the possibility of soreness as a side effect. Took my first dose today, when I saw the size of the tablet I did wonder which end I should be putting it in.
There is a sticky thread in this section about SGLT-2 Inhibitors which covers these meds. It has some warnings about this family of meds that you should look at,
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/th...-on-the-risk-of-diabetic-ketoacidosis.104325/

My personal experience of this med was short lived, and not very pleasant. I developed a severe case of Candida (thrush) and was on a very strong antibiotic for a long period before it cleared up. I see reports recently that Candida Albicans is now almost totally resistant to antibotics, and is becoming a major threat to mankind.

carina62

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
miserable weather, rude and bad mannered people
I have recently been prescribed Empagliflozin on top of my 2 metformin tablets because my recent Hbaic was at 8.5. I'm not happy about being on this drug (after reading a scaremongering article!) but I need to lose 5 stone in weight which isn't going to happen overnight bearing in mind I've been trying to lose weight all my adult life (I'm now 57) but really hoping that when I have my next diabetic review in 3 months time my numbers will have dropped but I've got to work hard at it I know but it is doable.

Reactions: Keesha