Fasting levels

Sue 571

hi ..: I’m a type 2 and am confused about my fasting levels.
I range anywhere between 4.5mmol up till 6.7mmol...
I used to be on medication but two years ago took myself off them and since been diet , very strict, alone.
What I don’t understand is one week according to medical research, I’m a non diabetic, then I’m pre diabetic than I might be a diabetic (by some researched sites)
Can someone please explain. I’m mostly in the 5.6mmol , my random tests usually go
Up to around 7.8mmol as due two hours after eating. Any help would be appreciated. Many thanks

fletchweb

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
hi ..: I’m a type 2 and am confused about my fasting levels.
I range anywhere between 4.5mmol up till 6.7mmol...
I used to be on medication but two years ago took myself off them and since been diet , very strict, alone.
What I don’t understand is one week according to medical research, I’m a non diabetic, then I’m pre diabetic than I might be a diabetic (by some researched sites)
Can someone please explain. I’m mostly in the 5.6mmol , my random tests usually go
Up to around 7.8mmol as due two hours after eating. Any help would be appreciated. Many thanks

You should consider who is doing the medical research and who is paying for it. Sadly, from my understanding a lot of research is done by Big Pharma - conflict of interest in my opinion and undermines some of the results from this medical research.

This is rather ironic but my Investment group (we have since disbanded) would evaluate a broad range of medical research on a variety of things and based on the results of that research we would purchase stock in that company - every time we got a hold of a favorable study for a manufacturer who made said product - we would buy shares and 90 percent of the time would make money. Here again - this is my opinion (but I don't think I'm wrong) medical research is not only for one's health but also to boost Business Development with whatever product supports the hypothesis of the study or research.

It doesn't sound like you have diabetes to me but one thing you can do to - collect some good data.Request a Hemoglobin A1C - this provides a measure of BG control over the long range. If that falls within the normal reading it would likely be your strict diet is good enough.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You cannot judge anything at all from fasting blood glucose levels, good or bad. They are too unreliable with too many factors involved over which we have no control. Our livers tend to take control in the early mornings by producing extra glucose to help us wake up and start the day, sometimes more, sometimes less. Even a restless night has a lot of effect. It is better to concentrate on your pre and post meal levels,. Fasting levels can vary depending on stress levels, how well you sleep, what you eat for your last meal the previous day, and many other things.

I am not sure what you are actually asking. Are you asking if you are still diabetic?

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Yes, you need to discount morning fasting sugar levels as they can affected by over-night liver dumps of glucose. Be guided by results 2 hours after eating a meal or, of course, the HBA1C. Your levels sound good and effectively non-diabetic based on the 2 hour results.

Sue 571

Thanks for all your welcome replies , my last A1c taken nearly a year ago was 6 , when I asked the diabetic nurse what this meant she said I was just on the boarder between pre diabetic and diabetic, so I’m still classed as a diabetic , and I left her office with a lot of uncertainty .
My next A1c should be coming up ...
once again thank you all for taking the time to reply .

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
when I asked the diabetic nurse what this meant she said I was just on the boarder between pre diabetic and diabetic

I'm in the UK and 6 I think is just over the border from normal to prediabetic.

This sounds to me like excellent control. Well done and I hope your next test results continue the good trend.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I stopped taking my fbg due to poor sleep, the numbers were all over the shop and a high number, even knowing that sleep can have an 'adverse' effect, would see my mood fall. I'm far happier with taking note of my pre and post prandial readings.

Sue 571

I'm in the UK and 6 I think is just over the border from normal to prediabetic.

This sounds to me like excellent control. Well done and I hope your next test results continue the good trend.
Thank you Alison, I’m in the Uk too and there doesn’t seem to be much help in my area concerning diabetes... according to my “diabetic nurse” just go out there , take the tablets and eat those cakes!!! All she seems to know is that your diabetic, you will get worse , hopefully at my next A1c I can show her it’s not all doom and gloom !
:)

Reactions: Alison Campbell

Sue 571

I stopped taking my fbg due to poor sleep, the numbers were all over the shop and a high number, even knowing that sleep can have an 'adverse' effect, would see my mood fall. I'm far happier with taking note of my pre and post prandial readings.
Hi Maybe then I won’t concentrate too much on my fgl then as I don’t sleep very well ...so thank you for your info!