Injections Next Week

CrankyKat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi everyone,

Firstly I know there are other discussions on this so please excuse that x

I have my first lot of steroid injections next week and I’m having a very hard time processing it all.

Does it hurt? Do you see it? Do you feel it? What’s it like after?

I have a very supportive boyfriend but I feel like as he doesn’t have diabetes and hasn’t been through any of this it doesn’t exactly help me.

Any help on this would be appreciated.

Art Of Flowers

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had HA and Kenalog injections in my knees. The steroids did raise my blood glucose levels over the next few days, so you need to be aware of that.

Fruitella

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, sounds worse than it is. You will probably meet others who have had multiple injections - they seem keen to let you know how many (and their age)! You don't see anything apart from a few bubble like things in the second or so after. With mine, a nurse wipes around the area, then they put some drops including yellow ones and a gizmo to keep the eye open. All over very quickly. The bit I don't like is about 20 mins after you can get the taste of the various meds for a few seconds - usually on the bus home by this time.
No real after effects, I just go home and sit for a bit if the sight is a bit fuzzy. Sometimes the eye may feel a teeny bit tender for a while but nothing really.

PS I presume you do mean eye treatment ;).

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Editing my post to remove the original text. I made the mistake of not checking what sub-forum this was posted in, thus did not realize the steroid treatment was for retinopathy. Big mistake, and I apologize for that.

Best wishes, as always. Some more knowledgeable people will probably be "here" shortly.

Second edit: I see @Fruitella has provided useful info already, we posted almost simultaneously.

Last edited:

CrankyKat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi, sounds worse than it is. You will probably meet others who have had multiple injections - they seem keen to let you know how many (and their age)! You don't see anything apart from a few bubble like things in the second or so after. With mine, a nurse wipes around the area, then they put some drops including yellow ones and a gizmo to keep the eye open. All over very quickly. The bit I don't like is about 20 mins after you can get the taste of the various meds for a few seconds - usually on the bus home by this time.
No real after effects, I just go home and sit for a bit if the sight is a bit fuzzy. Sometimes the eye may feel a teeny bit tender for a while but nothing really.

PS I presume you do mean eye treatment ;).

Hi fruitella! Yeah I do mean eye treatment.

I have got anxiety issues and so I cannot help but panic about everything :(

It’s nice to know there is not a great amount of after effect as I was planning to go out the next day!

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi fruitella! Yeah I do mean eye treatment.

I have got anxiety issues and so I cannot help but panic about everything :(

It’s nice to know there is not a great amount of after effect as I was planning to go out the next day!

I do seem to recall @Jaylee has had some treatment on his eyes. He might be able to comment at some point.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @CrankyKat ,

Do you have a name for the drug being used for your eye treatment?
Should be mentioned in your apointment letter. Mine has a sort of "treatment code" right at the top of the letter sent for the out patient appointment?

Looking at the letters, you might see something like "Eyes DMO Lucentis F/Up," or "Eyes Eylea DMO F/Up." Right at the top? Depending on how the admin department deal with it in your hospital...

mr_cat

I had eylea into both eyes on Saturday.
the procedure was relatively comfortable , though was pretty tense about the whole thing.
what no one emphasised to me was the level of blurred vision ten mins after.
thought i would get a bus home, manged it but vision so bluured i could not make out my feet plus it was dark so lights were just a big glare. just about blind really. felt very hazardous do make sure you have a lift.
the thing is investigate pain killers, when my anaesthetic wore of it was very uncomfortable indeed.
not everyone experiences discomfort but be prepared.[this may depend on the drug being administered.]
its now Monday and my eyes still feel stratchy and teared up with test needing to be enlarged on screen.
From what i can read on the data sheets my reaction might be a bit rare on the aftereffects but worth being prepared.
good luck dont stress [easily said than done, i know]

m

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had eylea into both eyes on Saturday.
the procedure was relatively comfortable , though was pretty tense about the whole thing.
what no one emphasised to me was the level of blurred vision ten mins after.
thought i would get a bus home, manged it but vision so bluured i could not make out my feet plus it was dark so lights were just a big glare. just about blind really. felt very hazardous do make sure you have a lift.
the thing is investigate pain killers, when my anaesthetic wore of it was very uncomfortable indeed.
not everyone experiences discomfort but be prepared.[this may depend on the drug being administered.]
its now Monday and my eyes still feel stratchy and teared up with test needing to be enlarged on screen.
From what i can read on the data sheets my reaction might be a bit rare on the aftereffects but worth being prepared.
good luck dont stress [easily said than done, i know]

m

I've had Lucentis & Eylea on seperate eyes for a Macula oedema.. The Eylea wears off quicker in my view.. (Which is what they switched to & the treatment has been successful.)
Yeah, even in daylight the LED on the front of busses look like a glare..
A little bit of itch on the eye lids from the antiseptic eye stuff they use to clean the area.
If I get an apointment in the morning? By the evening I'm all good to go!

mr_cat

Hi Jaylee
glad you had a nicer time of it,this was the first of a course of treatment for both eyes.
very glad to hear its working for you too.

CrankyKat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi everyone I thought I would just give everyone an update.

Had the injections today and they didn’t hurt one bit! It felt weird when the injection was in my eye but it just felt like a pressure test.

Pretty sore now and been sleeping most of the day - more due to the fact I take diazepam for stressful situations which helped!

Now sitting in a dark room whilst watching some films and being waited on hand and foot by my amazing fiancé.

Just wanted to thank everyone for there advice and information. I know it’s not the end of god chapter but at least I have got this ball rolling :) x

3dfca73ac98014d7d152ea1654f46009.jpg