Should I come off metformin?

CIarebear

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Started on standard Met, then got put onto slow release due to stomach issues, been on S for nearly 2 months now and still having issues, my dr said if it persisted we could change the medication entirely. Just wondered what some of the alternative meds might be? If its anything with worse side effects I'd rather stick with this. Are other meds as effective at controlling blood sugar?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I started on Metformin 3 months ago and luckily I got over the side effects quite quickly. However Metformin only does a little to reduce Blood sugars. Do you know you're HbA1c result? Are you on a low carb diet? Are you monitoring your blood sugar levels? The reason I ask all these questions is to ascertain if it would be possible to control your diabetes on diet alone.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Started on standard Met, then got put onto slow release due to stomach issues, been on S for nearly 2 months now and still having issues, my dr said if it persisted we could change the medication entirely. Just wondered what some of the alternative meds might be? If its anything with worse side effects I'd rather stick with this. Are other meds as effective at controlling blood sugar?

ClareBear - There are lots of diabetes medications around these days, and like all medications, they all have their potential side effects. Of course, not everyone will suffer side effects from any given drug, but you seem to have drawn the short straw on Metformin.

If you are still suffering after all that time, it could be worthwhile trying something else. It'd only be once you know what your Doc would prescribe can you look into it's specifics.

Why not ask your Doc what he/she would recommend, then do your research into it. Whilst there would almost certainly be members here who will have taken or be taking the meds, only when you try will you know whether x, y or z affects you.

I appreciate it's a tricky one. Fingers crossed for whichever route you choose.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Have you tried reducing the medication to just 2 standard tablets a day to get rid of side affect and then build up again slowly?

I was told to stop metformin in bouts of sickness and diarrhea. Everytime I do I have to build up slowly to 2000mgs of slow release.
I start with one 500mg tablet daily then 1 twice a day on the next day and do that for a week to 2wks. Then I add the 3rd and 4th 500mg to my existing twice a day routine to prevent upset tum.