driving stuff

thomasrichmond_16

Type of diabetes
Type 1
hi everyone i’m 16 coming up 17 and am type 1. was wondering what i need to do and if there are any limitations when it comes to driving?

hi everyone i’m 16 coming up 17 and am type 1. was wondering what i need to do and if there are any limitations when it comes to driving?

when driving if symptoms of high or low blood sugar start you must stop the car and check your sugars take something sugary with you such as a sweety or non diet drink of coke no chocolate as it takes along while to raise sugar levels
after eaten or drinking something sweet re test your sugar level eat another sugary snack if low dont drive if your still not well mebe call family member or friend to collect you only drive if your sugar level is beween 5&7

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
what you can only driver between 5 and 7?

Um, @123657 is wrong. The dvla guidance is 5 to drive. There is no upper limit.

So, you will need a provisional driving licence. There will be a bit on the form to fill in for that to complete about your diabetes. Then you will need to tell your driving instructor about your diabetes. And you will need to tell your car insurance about your diabetes - it won't increase the price, they just need to know.

Then you need to test before driving, and every two hours during driving (obvs you'll have to pull over to do the test). You cannot drive if under 4. If you are under 5 you should snack before driving.

When you pass your test and send off for the licence you will need to complete the dab1 form telling DVLA about your diabetes. If you have had more than 1 sever hypo in the last 12 month, no licence. If you don't have adequate hypo awareness, no licence. Otherwise, you will get a 3 year licence (everyone else gets 10 years) so that they can check on your control every 3 years to confirm you're still fine to drive.

Diabetes uk have info on this - https://www.diabetes.org.uk/guide-to-diabetes/teens/me-and-my-diabetes/living-my-life/driving

Reactions: Kittycat_7_

thomasrichmond_16

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Um, @123657 is wrong. The dvla guidance is 5 to drive. There is no upper limit.

So, you will need a provisional driving licence. There will be a bit on the form to fill in for that to complete about your diabetes. Then you will need to tell your driving instructor about your diabetes. And you will need to tell your car insurance about your diabetes - it won't increase the price, they just need to know.

Then you need to test before driving, and every two hours during driving (obvs you'll have to pull over to do the test). You cannot drive if under 4. If you are under 5 you should snack before driving.

When you pass your test and send off for the licence you will need to complete the dab1 form telling DVLA about your diabetes. If you have had more than 1 sever hypo in the last 12 month, no licence. If you don't have adequate hypo awareness, no licence. Otherwise, you will get a 3 year licence (everyone else gets 10 years) so that they can check on your control every 3 years to confirm you're still fine to drive.

Diabetes uk have info on this - https://www.diabetes.org.uk/guide-to-diabetes/teens/me-and-my-diabetes/living-my-life/driving

great thanks a lot! i thought there wasn’t an upper limit. i have really good hypo awareness at the moment so i’m confident i’ll be able to get my license