Metformin withdrawal symptoms?

sugarshy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Walking past cake shops
Within the last few weeks I have started to cut down on Metformin due to the successful control of my blood sugar levels, I was just cutting by missing a dose twice a week but this week I have cut from 500 mg twice a day to 500 mg just once in the morning after breakfast, I started this 7 days ago and at first I was OK. Yesterday and today has seen my health turn to the worst, I have been experiencing nausea and an upset stomach and all the side effects I had 14 months ago when I started taking this drug! But what is really worrying me is the psychological impact it has had on me with the onset of anxiety and depression. Could the 50% cut I have made resulted in this? Has anyone else had this experience? My blood sugar levels continue to be OK (at the moment).

Please forgive me if I don't respond to all responses, I find the site difficult to navigate.

paulus1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
put it back and see if it stops the symptoms. then cut the tablets into 1/4 and reduce one 1/4 per week or so. it thats still too much see your doctor.

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
put it back and see if it stops the symptoms. then cut the tablets into 1/4 and reduce one 1/4 per week or so. it thats still too much see your doctor.
Be careful cutting tablets up if they are modified release ones

Reactions: Ultramum

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have a word with your doctor saying how you feel it may not be Metformin withdrawal could just be a virus. I have never heard of anyone having withdrawal symptoms from not taking it

sugarshy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Walking past cake shops
Hi and thanks for your for the above. I am reinstating to the prescribed dose as I want to be well for Christmas. I have read on similar forums that others have had similar depression and anxiety when stopping Metformin, but it certainly isn't a common side effect. But what I do remember is that when I started taking this drug, apart from the initial gastric problems I very quickly started to feel a much happier person, it was was like the Met lifted me out of a trough and I have been a happy bunny until I cut my dose recently.

When I googled "What are side effects of stopping metformin"? I got this result :

• diarrhea.
  • vomiting.
  • nausea.
  • heartburn.
  • abdominal cramps.
  • constipation.
  • gas, or flatulence.
Didn't mention anxiety or depression but gut and brain are supposedly connected. I don't feel like I've got a virus. I went into town this afternoon and felt like I was on a bad trip, had to make a hasty retreat home.

I will let you know how things go :)

Reactions: Ultramum

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
To be honest I stopped taking metformin over a week ago with no adverse affects. Though I have decided to restart it from tomorrow for other reasons.

As has been said it may be better for you to discuss this with your doctor.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Hi and thanks for your for the above. I am reinstating to the prescribed dose as I want to be well for Christmas. I have read on similar forums that others have had similar depression and anxiety when stopping Metformin, but it certainly isn't a common side effect. But what I do remember is that when I started taking this drug, apart from the initial gastric problems I very quickly started to feel a much happier person, it was was like the Met lifted me out of a trough and I have been a happy bunny until I cut my dose recently.

When I googled "What are side effects of stopping metformin"? I got this result :

• diarrhea.
  • vomiting.
  • nausea.
  • heartburn.
  • abdominal cramps.
  • constipation.
  • gas, or flatulence.
Didn't mention anxiety or depression but gut and brain are supposedly connected. I don't feel like I've got a virus. I went into town this afternoon and felt like I was on a bad trip, had to make a hasty retreat home.

I will let you know how things go :)

Are you sure those are the symptoms for stopping?
They look more like the symptoms for starting taking Metformin.
I tried Google and a search result gave the results you posted.
It linked to:
https://www.healthline.com/health/stopping-metformin#what-you-can-do
However if you look at the article the side effects are from taking Metformin, not from stopping it.

I can't immediately find another post which gives any major side effects, although some people think they may have had minor ones (but possibly from other things like infections).

If you feel better on Metformin then it may be good to stay on it. It is one of the drugs supposed to do more good than harm.

sugarshy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Walking past cake shops
To be honest I stopped taking metformin over a week ago with no adverse affects. Though I have decided to restart it from tomorrow for other reasons.

As has been said it may be better for you to discuss this with your doctor.

Thanks John and LittleGreyCat, I'm going to see the doc after Xmas. There seems to be a dispute between HCP's. The diabetes nurse says I can cut down to 500 mg and then stop altogether, but the last time I spoke to the doctor two months ago when my HbA1c was 35 and he praised me for bringing it down from 88 he said to stay on! I'm not sure whether he is just covering his own backside in case something goes wrong. I have gone back on 1000 mg again till the new year. John, what were the other reasons you decided to reinstate? If you would rather not say then I totally understand.

sugarshy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Walking past cake shops

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
John, what were the other reasons you decided to reinstate? If you would rather not say then I totally understand.
Well basically it has been reported to have benefits for the heart, it can act as an apatite suppressant helps in a small way to control weight and recent reports have proposed that it can help protect against cancer slowing down the growth of tumors and of no direct benefit to me it has been shown to be of benefit to women under going chemo for breast cancer.

So if you don't have the bad side effects it I think is worth continuing. My doctor definitely agrees with me on the apatite side but was a bit iffy on the other benefits.

Reactions: Gannet and Ultramum

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Interesting. I was on metformin (2 x 500mg twice daily) for nearly 3 years as part of a double blind trial (so neither I nor my study nurse knew whether I was taking the drug or a placebo), and when the study finished I was just told to stop taking it, no need to taper off.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I get very hormonal and my periods mess about. I cry at nothing when I mess with my 2000mg of metformin. Obviously if I'm having a tummy bug I have to stop it but until back on full 2000mg I'm as sensitive as a baby.
I've taken metformin for decades firstly for polycystic ovary syndrome but for diabetes off and on for nearly 16yrs.
My hormones are settled on metformin. Unsettled without!

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Given that Metformin feeds gut bugs and the side effects on starting can be due to the balance of the gut bags changing, I have no problem in believing that when the balance of gut bugs change on stopping there will be the same types of side effects.

Saulus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
definitely noticed the same and unfortunately ruined a relationshio through this. also my sleep duration got affected

my blood sugar was fine the whole time

thats why i suspect besides changes in insulin/blood sugar also hormonal reasons to play a role

metformin is known for lowering testosterone, estrogen and raising shgb and progestoron in both men and women

so if you stop talking it testosterone and estrogen is raising while the progestoron lvl - which has a calming effect - declines, sending you into a minipuberty again

Reactions: Dawnicola

Dawnicola

Within the last few weeks I have started to cut down on Metformin due to the successful control of my blood sugar levels, I was just cutting by missing a dose twice a week but this week I have cut from 500 mg twice a day to 500 mg just once in the morning after breakfast, I started this 7 days ago and at first I was OK. Yesterday and today has seen my health turn to the worst, I have been experiencing nausea and an upset stomach and all the side effects I had 14 months ago when I started taking this drug! But what is really worrying me is the psychological impact it has had on me with the onset of anxiety and depression. Could the 50% cut I have made resulted in this? Has anyone else had this experience? My blood sugar levels continue to be OK (at the moment).

Please forgive me if I don't respond to all responses, I find the site difficult to navigate.
I am the next of kin for an 80 year old man who has peripheral neuropathy linked to diabetes. His doctor recently stopped his metformin and he hallucinated for 24 hours and now has anxiety and bi polar which he had before taking metformin. I am awaiting him to have a doctors appointment next Monday.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
To be honest I have stopped and started metformin several times and never had any problems doing that.

D

Deleted member 308541

I cut my Metformin dosage in half, then after another hba1c blood test I stopped taking the the rest of the dosage of Metformin.

I did not have any funny spells, withdrawal symptoms etc.

Reactions: JohnEGreen