Low Carb, Low Fat Confusion!

Catlady19

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all,
Last week I was taken into hospital with an inflamed gallbladder (so painful!!). I have had an MRI scan done today to take a further look as they didn't find any stones on the initial scan.

They released me and told me to stick to a low fat diet. I am now floundering having been on the LCHF and cannot now have the cheese and cream, etc to help fill me up.

Anyone else on low carb low fat and have you got any tips on how to bulk up meals? (I am beginning to feel quite hungry now I am feeling a little better).

Many thanks.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Sorry to hear of your problems, sounds Ouchy! The only thing I can think of is to raise the level of protein in your meals slightly to see if that sates your appetite. Good Luck and get well soon.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I can only cope with moderate fat in my diet, due to having reconfigured innards and no gallbladder.
I fill up on non-starchy veg, and the fat element mainly from olives, avocado, salmon, nuts, small portions of cheese. I can sometimes manage the fat on meat. I have to take it easy with cream and butter, so use minimal amounts.
Have you been told to avoid all fats @Catlady19? Or just the cream, butter and cheese, as nuts could be less of a problem.
Hope you get well soon.

Reactions: Catlady19

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, agree with @Guzzler

are you OK with increasing protein?
and are you OK with increasing fibre?

Both of those will help fill you up.

I do feel for you. Low fat always leaves me wanting to chew the table leg.

How long do they say you need to do this?

bamba

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi all,
Last week I was taken into hospital with an inflamed gallbladder (so painful!!). I have had an MRI scan done today to take a further look as they didn't find any stones on the initial scan.

They released me and told me to stick to a low fat diet. I am now floundering having been on the LCHF and cannot now have the cheese and cream, etc to help fill me up.

Anyone else on low carb low fat and have you got any tips on how to bulk up meals? (I am beginning to feel quite hungry now I am feeling a little better).

Many thanks.
Look as if you need the same diet as your avatar.

Catlady19

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I can only cope with moderate fat in my diet, due to having reconfigured innards and no gallbladder.
I fill up on non-starchy veg, and the fat element mainly from olives, avocado, salmon, nuts, small portions of cheese. I can sometimes manage the fat on meat. I have to take it easy with cream and butter, so use minimal amounts.
Have you been told to avoid all fats @Catlady19? Or just the cream, butter and cheese, as nuts could be less of a problem.
Hope you get well soon.
So far I have only been told to eat a low fat diet. I had a second 'episode' a few days after the first from eating sausage and bacon (I was at a B&B), so now I am paranoid about what I am eating.

Now I have had the MRI scan done I am waiting for the consultant to send me an appointment and will hopefully get more information then.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So far I have only been told to eat a low fat diet. I had a second 'episode' a few days after the first from eating sausage and bacon (I was at a B&B), so now I am paranoid about what I am eating.

Now I have had the MRI scan done I am waiting for the consultant to send me an appointment and will hopefully get more information then.
I can understand your fear of triggering another episode of that gallbladder pain. I only had the one, and thought I would die. I did find avoiding the animal fats helped prior to having gallbadder removed helped as I had no more pain. It is since the removal that I have modified the choice of fats and can tolerate animal fats better, just in moderate amounts, which is why I suggested the avocado, nuts etc. Though you would need to be cautious.
Hope you get sorted soon.

Catlady19

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I can understand your fear of triggering another episode of that gallbladder pain. I only had the one, and thought I would die. I did find avoiding the animal fats helped prior to having gallbadder removed helped as I had no more pain. It is since the removal that I have modified the choice of fats and can tolerate animal fats better, just in moderate amounts, which is why I suggested the avocado, nuts etc. Though you would need to be cautious.
Hope you get sorted soon.
Thanks - it is ridiculously painful! I have bought an avocado today to booster my salad and will cautiously give a few nuts a try. :nailbiting:

Catlady19

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes, agree with @Guzzler

are you OK with increasing protein?
and are you OK with increasing fibre?

Both of those will help fill you up.

I do feel for you. Low fat always leaves me wanting to chew the table leg.

How long do they say you need to do this?

Thanks @Brunneria I will look at extra protein and fibre, ok with both at the moment.
I have got to wait for the Consultant appointment now to see how they want to proceed.

lindisfel

Expert
Fortunately if you have to be operated on its key hole surgery now.
My better half had the problem in her thirties and its the best advice to cut down on fats. The pains of the gall stone going into the bile duct are extreme. I hope they see the problem when they image the g.b., the big stones are no problem and stay put, its the little ones that get stuck.
I have three large stones and their no problem cos they will never go down the bile duct.
If we all had more fat when we were younger the gall bladder would have kept being exercised and emptied, so the stones would not have formed so easily.
D.
Hi all,

Many thanks.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just popped in to sympathise. I had to go through several bouts of biliary colic before I finally got a scan where they saw multiple stones and then swiftly took out my gall bladder and all but one of the stones! (But that’s another story for another day!) Strangely there was no rhyme or reason to when I got the pains, so low fat didn’t help me. I hope you get it sorted soon Catlady x

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
Thanks @Brunneria I will look at extra protein and fibre, ok with both at the moment.
I have got to wait for the Consultant appointment now to see how they want to proceed.
Hi @Catlady19 Firstly you have my complete sympathy - my wife has gallstones and has been advised to keep low fat. I take care of the cookery and therefore have to keep up with fatcontent per 100g. I don't know what your local supermarket is, but for me it is Sainsbury's which has turkey breast steaks at 1.9g/100g, extra lean British beef medallion steak at 2.3g/100g, turkey breast slices at1.4g/100g (chicken is comparable provided no skin) Light Soft Cheese (also with garlic and herbs) 3.3g/100g
Fat free Cottage Cheese, Fabulously Fruity Low Fat Yoghurt (Rhubarb or Black Cherry) has 1.1g/100g but also have carbohydrate. Having said that 13g per 100g in a 450g pot is probably not a huge chunk out of your allowance - I don't know how low carb you are? I wish you luck with your MRI result.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think its better to take healthy fruits and vegetables, specially protein rich foods. It will limit your cravings and satiate you.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Lots of low carb veges - and minimal fats, though perhaps small amounts of fats and oil might at least give the gall bladder a tiny squeeze and keep it from going torpid. The type of fat in the diet would not have much effect - the bile is there to help digest all lipids, and bile is made, in part, from cholesterol so you would not want to be losing a way of removing that from the body.
So many people are suffering from gallstones due to not eating enough fat to empty out the bile and stop it forming stones.

Catlady19

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Why not ask to see a dietician for advice
Yes, good idea, I will mention it when I get to see the Consultant (still waiting!).
I am struggling more and more as I find I am eating higher carbs (mainly more fruit) but that is obviously putting my BGs up - it feels like I do nothing but think about food all the time! o_O
I also feel frustrated that having tried going LCHF (and had good BG result) I have clearly triggered another problem by having too much fat! There never seems to be a happy medium. :oops:

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
The gallstones are not due to too much fat, but too little - the bile has stagnated in the gall bladder and formed stones and when you start to eat properly you find out about them, but the fat was not the cause of the stones, quite the reverse.

lindisfel

Expert
If your gall bladder had been used to emptying on a diet that included fats the bile would not stay put and form stones.
The gall bladder concentrates bile to digest fats.

You have developed a situation now where you could be in considerable pain if your gall bladder tried to put bile in your gut. A stone could get stuck in the common bile duct and the pain is excruciating. I know, my wife had it many years ago.
If it blocks the common duct it causes jaundice.
Low fat is the only way until an operation.
D.

Yes, good idea, I will mention it when I get to see the Consultant (still waiting!).
I am struggling more and more as I find I am eating higher carbs (mainly more fruit) but that is obviously putting my BGs up - it feels like I do nothing but think about food all the time! o_O
I also feel frustrated that having tried going LCHF (and had good BG result) I have clearly triggered another problem by having too much fat! There never seems to be a happy medium. :oops:

S

Sani Thomas

Just popped in to sympathise. I had to go through several bouts of biliary colic before I finally got a scan where they saw multiple stones and then swiftly took out my gall bladder and all but one of the stones! (But that’s another story for another day!) Strangely there was no rhyme or reason to when I got the pains, so low fat didn’t help me. I hope you get it sorted soon Catlady x
I had gall stones about 20 years ago. My most persistent memory was of being in such agony that even breathing was sore. I had to go 2-3 times to AE in a very short span of time. Ended up eating plain rice with a tbsp of yoghurt. Fat free. Even a minute amount of fat caused reaction. Needless to say that in 6 weeks I lost about 6 kg. (around a stone). Eventually I had it out and in the morning after the surgery I had the tastiest breakfast of stone cold scrambled eggs. It was bliss.
I was given the extracted gall stones which were three black paper kernels. I was bewildered. It was hard to believe they gave me such agony. Of course I know that it would've been better if they were big.
Since then I've noticed that if I have a bit too much fats, my bowels become loose, but otherwise I have no problems and have never been told to stop or reduce fats.
I sometimes wonder if diabetes and gall bladder problems are related. How many people with diabetes are also suffering gall stones.
I don't think the formation of gall stones is due to low fat in the diet. When I worked in Northern Africa, we had very high number of gall stone sufferers. If I remember correctly, one patient was 14 yo girl and the stones extracted were almost the size of walnuts. In the country the food traditionally was made with lots of oil. Meat and veg were literally swimming in oil. To me the correlation is very clear.