Low Carb, Low Fat Confusion!

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Yes, I am sorry to throw my own spanner in the gallbladder works discussion. But I am with @Resurgam on this one (and @Sani Thomas above), and that it is the low-fat nonsense that caused the problems, not too much fat, as that is how the gallbladder functions, and well. And supported by a gallbladder-expert surgeon, when I had the wonderful opportunity to discuss this issue fully with her.

I eat lots of healthy fat on a keto-LCHF fluctuating diet, and I live with a fair sized gallstone, formed in the bad old high carb low fat days along with my malfunctioning blood glucose system. I chose to continue living with it, and my gallbladder, as my healthy fat consumption is such a big part of my satiating low carb way of eating. All discussed and approved by the surgeon.

And yes, the logical line is in fact that it is the low-fat way of eating we were told to eat for health, for me from late 70s, that destroys gallbladders. If I don't eat enough fat, that gallstone can land on the bile duct and cause the pain described above, for sure. It is eating all the cream and butter that keeps it all functioning nicely. And, I am deeply grateful for the internet and knowing that malic and acetic acid (commonly called - apples! And Apple Cider Vinegar) deals to that pain and the stone in the event of an attack when the gallbladder has been emptied for too long.

But an inflamed gallbladder, from my understanding of discussions with said surgeon, is the next stage along of seriousness, after gallstone attacks, or problems in a gallbladder, so, yes. That's when the gallbladder really does need to come out. So yeah, lower fat in prep for it being taken out? Makes sense.

I have forum-read plenty of folks on keto and low carb ways of eating post the op that continue just producing bile from the liver and eating high-ish healthy fat perfectly successfully.

lindisfel

Expert
It is the size of the gall stones. The large ones are no problem. I have three very large ones filling my gall bladder and found out when the endo showed me my adrenal tumour.
It's the smaller ones that get into the common bile duct that cause the problem, particularly if they get stuck. We cannot live with the duct from the liver to the gut blocked.

Yes, one can live quite well without a gall bladder. It means our bile is not concentrated for a lot of fat.
Thankfully they don't have to virtually cut one in half now there is key hole surgery. It was a big cut they made when my wife had it done in the mid 1970s!
D.

Last edited:

Catlady19

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ok, so an update:- saw my GP for routine Diabates clinic and was told that my Liver Function test is slightly high (60) and he mentioned Steatosis and NAFLD which is all linked with my gall bladder problems.

I had a scan done when I was admitted and they didn't find any actual gall stones, so they referred me for an MRI. Today I have finally received a date to see the consultant for week after next, so will see what they say then.

junemc153

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I sympathise with you completely. Sounds like what happened to me and I ended up in hospital for two and a bit weeks at the end of May while they tried to get the infection in my gallbladder under control. I had a couple of scans and there are also gallstones there too. I have been on a low fat diet since then and have had to make a conscious decision to eat for my gallbladder pain rather than my diabetes. I am on Jardiance so am taking the view that that will help until I get things sorted out. Whilst I was in hospital they were checking my bs 3-4 times a day and it was always ok. Its a nightmare finding things to eat and I struggle to make things interesting.

On the plus side I have lost nearly four stone since then! Got a HA1BC check in a couple of weeks so might have a better idea then as to how things are going.

I had originally decided not to have the op and they wouldn't do it at the time because the infection was so bad that they were worried about it spreading. If they had done it as an emergency they would also have had to do it without the option of keyhole so hopefully the weight loss will make things easier for recovery.

From the research I have done there seems to be a link between T2 and gallbladder problems so another diabetes related issue probably

mrsspenny

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I see that this thread is older but it is so timely for me that I had to join in! I spent yesterday in hospital with pain in my chest caused by gallstones. I am home and feeling better but am told I will have to have the gall bladder removed and need to be careful with my fat intake, which messes up my low carb diet no end. My mother had her gall bladder removed, and one of my brothers has cancer which doctors believe started in that region so I am aware of a genetic link also. I am feeling a bit frustrated

librarising

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Reactions: mrsspenny

sarah_chadwick

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all,
Last week I was taken into hospital with an inflamed gallbladder (so painful!!). I have had an MRI scan done today to take a further look as they didn't find any stones on the initial scan.

They released me and told me to stick to a low fat diet. I am now floundering having been on the LCHF and cannot now have the cheese and cream, etc to help fill me up.

Anyone else on low carb low fat and have you got any tips on how to bulk up meals? (I am beginning to feel quite hungry now I am feeling a little better).

Many thanks.
I too had been following a LCHF diet and now suffer with gallstones (waiting for an op to remove gallbladder) and so have now got to eat low fat too, I have upped my protein intake but also had to re-introduce some carbs (brown bread and brown pasta) only slightly, becasue they don't aggrevate and cause any pain, it seems you can't do right for doing wrong! Good luck and hope you feel better soon x

Reactions: mrsspenny

mrsspenny

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I too had been following a LCHF diet and now suffer with gallstones (waiting for an op to remove gallbladder) and so have now got to eat low fat too, I have upped my protein intake but also had to re-introduce some carbs (brown bread and brown pasta) only slightly, becasue they don't aggrevate and cause any pain, it seems you can't do right for doing wrong! Good luck and hope you feel better soon x

Thankyou Sarah_chadwick, I hope your op date comes through soon