What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you, I'm sure it will all settle soon. It can just be disappointing when I've been so good with low carb, but as I'm only in my 1st week and I have NAFLD I'm sure there is plenty to get rid of....
There's no exact science to it Angi...I rarely had breakfast & found my BG's spiked so now I make sure I eat something which does the trick...I have a moderate carb intake which works better for me...some do better on lower carbs...it's very much an individual thing...what works for me may not work for you...that's the benefit of testing our BG's...we will be able to see how our food affects us...you seem to be doing fine so far.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
There's no exact science to it Angi...I rarely had breakfast & found my BG's spiked so now I make sure I eat something which does the trick...I have a moderate carb intake which works better for me...some do better on lower carbs...it's very much an individual thing...what works for me may not work for you...that's the benefit of testing our BG's...we will be able to see how our food affects us...you seem to be doing fine so far.
Couldn't agree more with @Bubbsie on the highly individual point @AngiH. Read what others do by all means but it is all too easy to get sucked in to copying something highly wrong for you. I also second the encouragement - you are doing fine.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi , many thanks for your thoughts. I'm glad to hear you are getting the support you need from your doctor. Mine is less forthcoming and I've reviewed the other practices in the area and it seems that they seem of a similar quality. Re heart issues :My dad died of a heart attack and my mum had a pacemaker due to heart issues . On my last diabetic review it was suggested I went onto statins and now having done the research I would like to actually know , rather than suspect or guess that I may have an issue. This to me is important due to the known side effects of statins.

Hi @OrsonKartt

NO expert here, and i understand your concerns, particularly in light of family connections.

I have little basis for this, but i do concur with @Charis1213 theory.

I also question that IF the general medical authorities poo-poo the LCHF,
(and as i see it they generally seem to miss the entire point of what LOW CARB is, imho.)
then the data they use, would i imagine be based around those who have NOT managed their Blood Glucose levels that well over many years.

I mean how could they, when they are told not to test, taught to eat the wrong food & simply rely on the medication doled out..?

So ...
* Get an illness/disease that makes you allergic/intolerant of many foods..
* Fail to manage your blood sugars,
* Eat inappropriate food that SPIKES YOU as an individual,
* Take little action on the steps you CAN take to limit the effects of the disease..
* Just keep taking the meds and hope they work ok

Seems a recipe for illness and an earlier death, to me

I like to think of us on here, as something the X-men would search for.
Superhumans, doing the impossible, proving impervious to Nuclear radiation, kryptonite.& carbohydrates.
the real axis of evil..:D

But we all know it is something many 'normal' people can achieve, if ONLY they knew how.

So my point is, that the records will show a disproportionate amount of data, re complications, etc simply because so many previously had no other way of living but accepting the slow degeneration of their bodies.

While you are right to be cautious, i do believe we have, as group collective, imbued ourselves by OUR own actions, through a better way of living and eating, some measure of improvement, over previous diabetic generations, that has ramification far beyond those simple numbers we loving cherish and garner each morning.

best regards, my friend.
and good luck with the testing you require.

Reactions: Prem51

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you. I'm testing every time I have something new so I can see how it affects me..
Angi testing is so useful...I did on occasion eat then test one hour after eating...that should give you the optimum spike in your BG's (although some times can vary)...then tested after another hour to see how I had coped with the rise...if you want to know more I'd suggest having a look at Gretchen Becker's book ...Prediabetes: What You Need to Know to Keep Diabetes Away...she gives an excellent insight into dealing with pre-diabetes...you can preview the book on Amazon before deciding whether to buy it or borrow from your library...I read her book Type 2 Diabetes The First Year shortly after my diagnosis...it proved invaluable for me.

OrsonKartt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
over selling.... oh so many things are enthusiastically oversold
Hi @OrsonKartt

NO expert here, and i understand your concerns, particularly in light of family connections.

(and as i see it they generally seem to miss the entire point of what LOW CARB is, imho.)
then the data they use, would i imagine be based around those who have NOT managed their Blood Glucose levels that well over many years.

I mean how could they, when they are told not to test, taught to eat the wrong food & simply rely on the medication doled out..?

So ...
* Take little action on the steps you CAN take to limit the effects of the disease..

Superhumans, doing the impossible, proving impervious to Nuclear radiation, kryptonite.& carbohydrates.

But we all know it is something many 'normal' people can achieve, if ONLY they knew how.

So my point is, that the records will show a disproportionate amount of data, re complications, etc simply because so many previously had no other way of living but accepting the slow degeneration of their bodies.

While you are right to be cautious, i do believe we have, as group collective, imbued ourselves by OUR own actions, through a better way of living and eating, some measure of improvement, over previous diabetic generations, that has ramification far beyond those simple numbers we loving cherish and garner each morning.

best regards, my friend.
.. many thanks for your thoughts .... as for me my thinking runs like this. Ours is a post truth age but I am in the pivalidged situation of being able to verify the state of my heart with an actual test . ie direct unfiltered science . If this costs in the region of £250 for I will find a way of getting that money, not everyone can do that I know. I'm one of the lucky ones.... Best thoughts and thank you all for your input and info....

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Today i will be mostly......DANNO.

........cue the music....

5...POINT 4..get in.:D

Please note, while the music is playing i AM doing the finger wave AND the john travolta dance from pulp fiction in joy
while i'm waiting for the kettle to boil.

...best score to date..:headphone:

Charis1213

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @OrsonKartt

So ...

best regards, my friend.
Awesome post :)

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you. I'm testing every time I have something new so I can see how it affects me..
Good move but don't be surprised if you find variations in readings for the same meal. We don't eat them under lab conditions - exercise, fluid intake, levels of stress and sleep will all vary. You need as full a picture as possible to work out the impact of some meals. All good fun though:angelic:

Last edited:

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Quote for today
FB_IMG_1546373550885.jpg