Keto flu/bowel trouble don't read while eating

AngiH

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok this is not a very charming post I've been low carb/keto for about 10 days and when I go to the toilet I bleed quite a lot. I have previously been diagnosed with colitis however, this has been pretty good for over a year. I'm wondering if the lack of bowel movements are causing the bleeding..but they are normal/loose on occasion.
Also I'm today feeling pretty nauseous and tired...a bit shivery and wondered if this is the keto diet causing it.
I thought the flu symptoms hit earlier but maybe not. On the plus side I feel so much better generally and am no longer hungry..I had an 19 hour fast today with no probs. Thanks for reading.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The bleeds started for me when sweeteners killed off my gutbacteria. When I went keto and IF I started drinking loads of tea, with 5 doses of sweetener in, adding up to 30 to 50 doses a day, plus soda's... That was this summer, and I'm still healing. Became completely intolerant of the stuff, can't even have a sip of diet coke now or I'm stuffed up for days again. If you're using products with artificial sweeteners (diet coke, sweet'n'low etc) that might be the problem. I solved it by not having it at all anymore, and having a capsule of gut bacteria a day to keep things running smoothly. BM's are perfect now, but my intestine is a slow healer, and there was a rather long tear. :( It's getting there though, with help from my GP. If your gut's unwell, other stuff might go off too, but from what I understand there's a flu going around as well. Are your bloodsugars going up? Might be a cold or something alongside it all.

Hope you'll feel better soon!

Reactions: AngiH

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Any bleeding from bowel movements is to be taken seriously. If I was in your position I would go and see my Dr, it could be all manner of things.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I agree with @Rachox normal-ish stools accompanied by bleeding equals get it checked out by a professional.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Any bleeding from bowel movements is to be taken seriously. If I was in your position I would go and see my Dr, it could be all manner of things.
...And now I feel like a fool. I've gotten so used to having a bleeding gut over the years (and having multiple colonoscopies just to get "It's IBS/diverticulitis/whatever-just-live-with-it-good-luck-bye") that this didn't register with me at all. Stupid, stupid, stupid...

@AngiH Yes. Get checked out. Usually blood from the bowel is a bit of a red flag. I'm SO sorry, should've thought of that! Let the ball drop here...

AngiH

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My blood sugars are the lowest they've been, around 5.3. I'm used to the bleeding occasionally back when I had colitis, but not everyday like now. I did have a colonoscopy 2 years ago.
Thanks as always

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good advice above.
I agree with everyone who suggests you get checked out by a doc.
Hope it goes OK.

Major Buckmaster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Stuff
My blood sugars are the lowest they've been, around 5.3. I'm used to the bleeding occasionally back when I had colitis, but not everyday like now. I did have a colonoscopy 2 years ago.
Thanks as always
You’re in a flare up no? Don’t you have meds for your colitis?

Major Buckmaster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Stuff
Thanks as always
You don’t get rid of colitis. There’s no cure so surely you need to see a doc and get meds.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I know this sounds strange but please take photos of poo and show the GP.
Anything can change in two years... so an endoscopy may be needed again.

There is differences in bleeds and where they are in poo etc as I guess you may well know but you need to see GP.

Food can have a huge impact on the stomach and colon but it needs to be checked..

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have nothing to add to the thread topic, except to add to that unexpected/unusual blood from anywhere (not just the bowel) should be checked out.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I've never heard of anyone having bleeding solely due to a low carb diet - I would venture that there is something else to blame.

Antechinus

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
What kind of blood are we talking here. Is it clotted blood in/on the stool or do you bleed after passing your motion? Often fresh blood after a stool is a small fissure that gets reinjured during the bowel movement. Concentrating on peroneal contractions after the motion can help there. Clotted on the stool is higher up bleeds. And deeper bleeds such as small bowel will make black stools, unless its a major hemorrhage, which will be obvious something is wrong.
Always, when in doubt seek prpfessional medical help.

AngiH

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You don’t get rid of colitis. There’s no cure so surely you need to see a doc and get meds.
I am ashamed to say I discharged myself from the consultant as he found me a complex case... I was on meds for sometime, but started with severe tinnitus and the meds were the possible cause. Stopped them, still have constant tinnitus, but felt ok off the meds. Consultant requested another colonoscopy and it was right on top of getting married so I cancelled. No excuse I know. And never went back I've always assumed mine was ok as I started to gain weight...which actually could have been the start of my prediabetes. I think I'll make an apt at the doctor just to check. Thanks all for your help.

AngiH

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
What kind of blood are we talking here. Is it clotted blood in/on the stool or do you bleed after passing your motion? Often fresh blood after a stool is a small fissure that gets reinjured during the bowel movement. Concentrating on peroneal contractions after the motion can help there. Clotted on the stool is higher up bleeds. And deeper bleeds such as small bowel will make black stools, unless its a major hemorrhage, which will be obvious something is wrong.
Always, when in doubt seek prpfessional medical help.
It's most likely a tear as it's bright red and loads. Without being too gross, if I just wee and wipe there is still blood....

Charis1213

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's most likely a tear as it's bright red and loads. Without being too gross, if I just wee and wipe there is still blood....
I have a fissure and it has flared up with lchf because of constant constipation , been doing lchf for 2 months now and still constipated and occasionally bleed because of the fissure. I know what mine is so not worried which is amazing as I panic and have severe anxiety .
If you are not happy you should get it checked out at the doctors.

Major Buckmaster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Stuff
I am ashamed to say I discharged myself from the consultant as he found me a complex case... I was on meds for sometime, but started with severe tinnitus and the meds were the possible cause. Stopped them, still have constant tinnitus, but felt ok off the meds. Consultant requested another colonoscopy and it was right on top of getting married so I cancelled. No excuse I know. And never went back I've always assumed mine was ok as I started to gain weight...which actually could have been the start of my prediabetes. I think I'll make an apt at the doctor just to check. Thanks all for your help.

Yeah good idea to get it checked.

With colitis in the lower part of the bowel/anus it can bleed bright red blood and lots of it. The further you go up the bowel the darker it gets.

I suppose you’re having 5 yearly colonoscopies?

Anyway I hope you manage to get it sorted!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

I strongly urge you to google tinnitus and hyperinsulinemia.
There are quite a few links between rising insulin and insulin resistance levels and developing tinnitus.
If this is the case with you, then lowering your insulin resistance may improve your tinnitus. I hope so, for your sake. Tinnitus is a horrible thing.

Antechinus

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
When I finished doing the business the bowel looked like a chainsaw massacre had been through. Was a liitle distressing at first. Found peroneal, clench tight exercises helped significantly. I do them immidiately after and before wiping, and while in the shower while washing my hair (no bowel motion in shower, just clenching, hold for about 5 seconds relax, and do again for a few minutes) Constipation didnt help.
Psillium husks may help with constipation, I'm not sure if they add to carb's though.

AngiH

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

I strongly urge you to google tinnitus and hyperinsulinemia.
There are quite a few links between rising insulin and insulin resistance levels and developing tinnitus.
If this is the case with you, then lowering your insulin resistance may improve your tinnitus. I hope so, for your sake. Tinnitus is a horrible thing.
Ooh thank you, I'm going to do that now. I've had the tinnitus 2 years and it's constant, so maybe this journey started back then without me knowing.