New Diagnosis Prediabetes

Tracy71

Hello am new here,

Feel quite shocked today, blood results have come back got Iron Anemia, Low folates, Vit D deficiency.
So tablets for them 3. And also Border Line Diabetes.
This is a mine field, dont know where to start, I have alway been big but never any sign of diabetes, am more shocked as am at Slimming World for last 3 months and here of people reversing the risk yet mine has shot up. Feeling little fed up anyway hopefully will get some help and advice off here and maybe even make some new friends on the way.
Much love
Tracy

Catlady19

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello @Tracy71 and welcome! I have done Slimming World before but if you have pre-diabetes or diabetes the key is to eat low carb. Although SW do have advice for diabetics, they are not geared up to offer low carb advice and their diet is based on low fat and eating carbs like pasta, rice and potatoes - these are exactly the sort of things you should now avoid if you are pre-diabetic.

However, fear not, you have come to the right place - lots of advice on this web site. I am sure @Daisy 1 will be along soon to give you the basic starter advice.

Along with this site, there is another good site called www.dietdoctor.com that helps with low carb information. There is also a book called 'Carbs and Cals' which I have found extremely useful (easily obtainable from Amazon).

It is all a bit of a shock at first but there is loads of help here. Good luck!

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello am new here,

Feel quite shocked today, blood results have come back got Iron Anemia, Low folates, Vit D deficiency.
This is a mine field, dont know where to start, I have alway been big but never any sign of diabetes, am more shocked as am at Slimming World for last 3 months and here of people reversing the risk yet mine has shot up. Feeling little fed up anyway hopefully will get some help and advice off here and maybe even make some new friends on the way.
Much love
Tracy

You will be feeling shell shocked I have no doubt. Your issues re anemia, folate and vitamin d should be sorted quickly. And as you are borderline diabetes you can get out of this zone by making some simple changes to your diet. I would cut right back on carbs especially potatoes, rice, pasta, bread, fruit (berries are ok) fruit juice and cereals. Have a look around the forum, you will gain lots of useful info. Also diet doctor. Ditch the carbs is a brilliant site. I would suggest getting a blood glucose testing kit (very cheap on Ebay but syrips can be expensive). Testing is the only way you know what suits you food wise. Readings can be put into an app called mysugr which will give you an estimated hba1c. That way you know which direction you are going in.

Traceymac23

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Moaner
Hello am new here,

Much love
Tracy
Yaay.....another vTracy on the site.....all we need now is a couple of Sharon's and we can hit the town LOL

Reactions: Krystyna23040