At a Crossroads

christysth

Hello all, I'm a 21 year old Type 1 sufferer. If I remember correctly I was diagnosed in 2010 or 2011. In this time my journey has been super rocky, I went into DKA in January this year (that's a long story) and at some point I'm going to be referred for a CGM (when I get it all depends on whether my team at home will refer me and if not I have to wait until I go back to uni where my team there will definitely refer me).

I'm considering whether to go back on a pump, around 5/6 years ago I was on the omnipod but I'm super skinny and struggle to gain weight so the pod was constantly hitting muscle and bleeding. Would a different kind of pump (the wired ones) work for me? I'm currently 6st 7lb, I know a pump would benefit me a lot as I struggle with finding the motivation to do my injections, its just my weight issues that I'm worried about.

Thank you!

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'd agree with Helen that the pump is no magic bullet and requires lots of work to get the dosing right.
You've had diabetes foisted upon you and at some point you will need to knuckle down and get into regular good habits re testing/injecting etc. Pump and cgm would help with that of course but you do need to show some commitment by using the tools you already have.
I don't know any type 1 o here or in real life who hasn't found it hard at some point to get motivated but nobody can give you motivation other than gaining confidence (and pride) that you can look after yourself.
Incidentally as you know you may well find you gain a little weight and give you an appetite just by having better control which my help you feel better in yourself (I am assuming you are not very short and are therefore underweight).

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello, I'd say talk with your team and they might be able to refer you to see someone to help with your motivation and out look on diabetes. If it's the libre you are talking about, it might help you understand your levels with additional information but in conjunction with your injections and possibly motivate you. I agree you need to speak with your team about the pump, you might need to be re-educated for it, 5-6 years is a huge difference and a lot has changed. You have to show you're capable of carb counting, adjusting levels and insulin and understand correction doses and hypo treatments. I know you're aware you can run the risk of going into DKA on a pump. If you can tackle your struggles and high readings, I'd say it'll be smooth sailing from there.
If I am honest I think I am getting more support now compared to 18 years ago. I've been prescribed the libre on 10th June, I did DAFNE in Nov 2018 and there are bumps on the road. But I am learning a lot from my insulin and levels and adjust where possible.

Reactions: christysth

christysth

I'd agree with Helen that the pump is no magic bullet and requires lots of work to get the dosing right.
You've had diabetes foisted upon you and at some point you will need to knuckle down and get into regular good habits re testing/injecting etc. Pump and cgm would help with that of course but you do need to show some commitment by using the tools you already have.
I don't know any type 1 o here or in real life who hasn't found it hard at some point to get motivated but nobody can give you motivation other than gaining confidence (and pride) that you can look after yourself.
Incidentally as you know you may well find you gain a little weight and give you an appetite just by having better control which my help you feel better in yourself (I am assuming you are not very short and are therefore underweight).

Thank you for the reply (to you and everyone else), I'm getting a lot better at testing and doing my insulin again after my DKA scare but I still find doing injection after injection so tiring.

Also I am quite short (5'2) but still classed as underweight sadly

mentat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ask yourself this.

What is harder for you, being disciplined, carb counting, and watching what you eat and do? Or the physical tedium of pulling out your needles/fingersticks and pricking yourself?

If the first one is a problem for you, getting a CGM, and even moreso a pump, will not help. Instead you need to change your approach. A counselor can help you put things in perspective and help you maintain a great attitude. Or you can get support from others, even on these forums.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I have similar problems. Pump worked well for me for 5 years but then hit problems with the cannulas and acceptance by my skin... and also hitting blood/muscles....

2 hospitals put me back on pump and both admit that the cannulas and my body do not work together. My pumps were wired. Didn’t matter if they were plastic or stainless steel.

I now have two background insulin’s and also a fast acting for getting up. So without eating my night time and morning doses alone add to 5 injections without eating!!!!

I was very lean. I have more weight on me now but it hasn’t made the slightest bit of difference to the cannulas not working.

It may be different for you..if they and you want to give it a go again with pump, there isn’t anything to lose...

Regina12

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
I have similar problems. Pump worked well for me for 5 years but then hit problems with the cannulas and acceptance by my skin... and also hitting blood/muscles....

2 hospitals put me back on pump and both admit that the cannulas and my body do not work together. My pumps were wired. Didn’t matter if they were plastic or stainless steel.

I now have two background insulin’s and also a fast acting for getting up. So without eating my night time and morning doses alone add to 5 injections without eating!!!!

I was very lean. I have more weight on me now but it hasn’t made the slightest bit of difference to the cannulas not working.

It may be different for you..if they and you want to give it a go again with pump, there isn’t anything to lose...

If it's the libre you are talking about, it might help you understand your levels with additional information but in conjunction with your injections and possibly motivate you. I agree you need to speak with your team about the pump, you might need to be re-educated for it, 5-6 years is a huge difference and a lot has changed.

caius2x8

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've a 640g and their 6mm plastic cannulas.
I,ve no fat on arms on legs and a cannula their hurts really badly. However i circulate spare tyre, back fat, upr outer quarter backside. By doing this left and r sides of the body and giving a cannula 3 days in each site, its 15 days between the end of using a cannula in one area and seeing a new cannula in the same region.
I havent notice any great insulin absorption problems yet though have put on a couple of stone in weight since starting the pump around the back of spare tyre. I think the pump forces you to account for practically everything as there's little spare capacity in a basal set to allow me a choice of eating (with a bolus) or not( without a bolus). So i've been gaining weight through fewer high sugars. I-ve cutting back on nosh :'-( and trying to verge towards ketogenic.