Type 1 Diabetic Alert Dog (Service Dog)

cberty

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello everyone, I’ve had Type 1 for over 30 years and am pretty well-controlled on CGM and Medtronic 670G pump. I was still having nocturnal severe hypos though, and recently had the good fortune to acquire a Diabetic Alert Dog where I live in the USA at the moment. My dog is amazing and has really helped me. He alerts to lows and highs as they are trending — and usually about 20-40 minutes before my CGM changes. I do travel a lot, and within the USA this has not been a problem as he is a verified Service Dog. However, does anyone know about rules for DADs in the UK? In the USA we are protected by federal law — he can go everywhere with me. What are the rules for service dogs (such as seeing eye dogs) in the UK? And does anyone know the rules for bringing a service dog into the UK from the US? He is fully vaccinated, microchipped, has certificates, tags etc. We will be traveling to the UK in a few weeks. I realise this is a stab in the dark, but I’m hoping to get some expert advice here. I am a UK national. Many thanks!

cberty

Type of diabetes
Type 1
hi and welcome @cberty

Thanks so much for this. I will have a look. In the USA, service dogs are not considered to be pets, however, and have different rules or exceptions. For example, you do not need to pay for them to travel, no extra charges in hotels, etc. They are considered to be a medical device. So, I was wondering if there are any similar rules or exceptions in the UK? Many thanks for the link. Hopefully, it will contain more useful information!

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello everyone, I’ve had Type 1 for over 30 years and am pretty well-controlled on CGM and Medtronic 670G pump. I was still having nocturnal severe hypos though, and recently had the good fortune to acquire a Diabetic Alert Dog where I live in the USA at the moment. My dog is amazing and has really helped me. He alerts to lows and highs as they are trending — and usually about 20-40 minutes before my CGM changes. I do travel a lot, and within the USA this has not been a problem as he is a verified Service Dog. However, does anyone know about rules for DADs in the UK? In the USA we are protected by federal law — he can go everywhere with me. What are the rules for service dogs (such as seeing eye dogs) in the UK? And does anyone know the rules for bringing a service dog into the UK from the US? He is fully vaccinated, microchipped, has certificates, tags etc. We will be traveling to the UK in a few weeks. I realise this is a stab in the dark, but I’m hoping to get some expert advice here. I am a UK national. Many thanks!

Hello there cberty.

I don't know anything of the specifics you enquire about, but the following link might be helpful. Whilst this is not a Diabetic Alert Dog organisation, they are for medical detection dogs of many sorts.

https://www.medicaldetectiondogs.org.uk/

Their contact details are here: https://www.medicaldetectiondogs.org.uk/contact-us/

cberty

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello there cberty.

I don't know anything of the specifics you enquire about, but the following link might be helpful. Whilst this is not a Diabetic Alert Dog organisation, they are for medical detection dogs of many sorts.

Many thanks! I have contacted them as a starting point. Much apppreciated!

Many thanks to you all! I have contacted these as a starting point! Much appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:

Dark Horse

Diabetes is considered to be a disability under UK law.

"It is against the law for service providers to treat people with disabilities less favourably because of their disability, or because they have a guide or assistance dog with them.
Making “reasonable adjustments” might mean giving extra help, such as guiding someone to a restaurant table, or making some changes to the way you provide your services to make it easier for blind and partially-sighted people to use them. It certainly includes allowing guide dogs and assistance dogs into all public places with their owners.

Guide dog and assistance dog owners have important rights under the Equality Act 2010. The EA provides for disabled people to have the same right to services supplied by shops, banks, hotels, libraries, pubs, taxis and restaurants as everyone else." https://www.assistancedogs.org.uk/law/

If you're flying into Heathrow, this might be helpful. (I suggest looking at the link as it contains more information):-

"All assistance dogs travelling to Heathrow must:
We require at least 72 hours notice before your scheduled departure to issue your pre-approval letter.

Dogs which have been trained by an organisation that is a member of International Guide Dog Federation (IGDF) or Assistance Dogs International (ADI) will be recognised as assistance dogs. Dogs which have received equivalent training or testing may also be recognised on a case by case basis, providing that our officers have appropriate evidence of the dog’s safety to travel by air."

Unrecognised assistance animals are those that do not meet the criteria listed above. They are subject to a checking fee of £390 which the owner must pay direct to us." https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/ser...eception-centre/Pages/Assistance-Animals.aspx