Hello

dighicks

Newly registered here, but a long time (and grateful) visitor. Recently diagnosed with LADA following the (seemingly usual) initial diagnosis of T2. At the time of diagnosis, my sugars were in the 18-29 range. I went from 230 lbs to 180 in a few months, and couldn’t keep weight on—and peed gallons a day. My greatly weakened system resulted in a bout of shingles on my scalp, which led to viral meningitis, near death, and 7 days in a hospital isolation room. That was my introduction to the wonderful world of diabetes and it’s associated adventures. Having been through the wringer (take a number, I know...), and realizing how much I’ve benefitted from this forum and those who participate, I’ve decided to get on board and help add to this ever expanding (and invaluable) resource as/when I can. Given the range of individual experiences diabetes entails, these sort of collective endeavours seem to provide the sort of insight that even the medical system cannot. I’m a 48 year old male, BTW, and being active and engaged in highly physical work, the diagnosis of diabetes came as a surprise. On Metformin and Lantus most recently, and getting things under control as I figure out the complicated machine that is the human body, which most of us are lucky enough to have run on auto pilot. I look on the bright side though: For the first time, I’m aware of everything I eat. I fit into pants I wore when I was 16, and I get a daily dose of Metformin which is life prolonging, and helps prevent certain cancers. No more donuts is a steep price to pay for all that, however.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
You can still have doughnuts lol as a type 1, you just have to bolus for it. It's another story if a doughnut is healthy for anyone though!

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome,

It is great when people come onboard and share their experiences. We have such a range of people and the way that diabetes has effected them. The more that join the more we can help each other (and hopefully one day the medical profession).

Welcome.

Reactions: Marie 2

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello and welcome @dighicks :)

It’s a steep learning curve but based on your experience with this already your on the right path now to feeling much better. We’re a friendly bunch here so anything we can do to help support you, let us know :)

Reactions: Marie 2

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
You can still have doughnuts lol as a type 1, you just have to bolus for it. It's another story if a doughnut is healthy for anyone though!
But and it's a big but you may gain weight with insulin if you have too many carbs as the role of insulin is to metabolise carbs. I have to be fairly careful with the carbs I eat otherwise my BS goes way out of control and no amount of insulin will manage it. I also gain weight of course.