What do I do now?

Spy184

Hi @Spy184 and welcome to the forum. Sorry I didn’t reply yesterday, had a busy day! You’ve certainly come to the right place by joining this forum. I unfortunately didn’t get diagnosed til I was full blown diabetic, however with the help of this forum I have got my blood sugar levels back to normal. As @Bluetit1802 says it would be really useful to know your HbA1c number so you know if you are just into the prediabetic range or at the top, just about to tip into the diabetic range. Low carb eating and the use of a blood glucose meter are definitely your tools to reverse this.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you. I’m sure it will take a while to get my head around the information. In the meantime how many grammes of carbs should I aim for a day (or rather not go over)?
When I was first diagnosed for the first few weeks I aimed to keep under 100g carbs per day, after around six weeks my blood sugars had come down but plateaued so I reduced to 50 - 70g per day. Then once again after a while I dropped to 30 - 50g/day. That is where I have remained which keeps my blood sugars and HbA1cs at non diabetic levels.
I reduced gradually and so avoided low carb flu which is flu like symptoms which some people suffer if they drop carbs very quickly.

Spy184

I’m following a low carb programme but I’m not overweight but losing weight as the menus seem to be aimed at weight loss as well as reducing carb intake. What can I do to stop weight loss?

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m following a low carb programme but I’m not overweight but losing weight as the menus seem to be aimed at weight loss as well as reducing carb intake. What can I do to stop weight loss?

Add in more fats - nuts (macadamias, Brazil’s, walnuts, almonds all good), cream, cheese, extra eggs. I’ll tag in a couple of others that might be able to help @shelley262 @DCUKMod @Bluetit1802

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Hello Spy .

When low carbing, i initially lost some weight, but got to the point I would be much too thin if I lost any more. I've managed to stabilise things now and have run in a range of +\-2kg for a number of years. To be fair, it's usually less than 2kg either way, but that's what I allow myself.

I don't know what rate you have been losing weight, or where you,are on the BMI range. Whilst BMI is a very blunt tool, it's a rough gauge to help.

What I did, initially was,just up my portions of everything I ate, a bit. Don't ask me to define a bit, because it was by eye on my plate. For me, that wasn't quite enough, so I added more fat, in a measured way - measured by Baby Bell cheese and sherry glass sized portions of nuts.

Now, now, be kind to me, but they were just easy measures. To be fair, you can use any measure, but best if it's consistent. That allows you to gauge reliably, whether the approach is working.

Once my weight stabilised, I then sort of knew what I'd got to add in, and worked on variations to get that sort of calorie and nutrient mix.

I'm afraid it does involve a fair amount of experimenting, and measuring of your food intake, weight and blood glucose. That allows you to look back and decide on any next steps.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

I lost all my excess weight following low carb, and once I'd reached my goal weight I kept losing. I did what @DCUKMod did. I increased my fats bit by bit, carefully measuring them and keeping records alongside regular weighing sessions until I found the right balance. It took several weeks to find this balance but find it I did. That was November 2014. I have maintained that weight since then. My additions were from extra eggs, the introduction of cheese that I hadn't eaten whilst losing weight, more full fat yogurt and cream.

Reactions: Lotties

Spy184

Hello Spy .

When low carbing, i initially lost some weight, but got to the point I would be much too thin if I lost any more. I've managed to stabilise things now and have run in a range of +\-2kg for a number of years. To be fair, it's usually less than 2kg either way, but that's what I allow myself.

I don't know what rate you have been losing weight, or where you,are on the BMI range. Whilst BMI is a very blunt tool, it's a rough gauge to help.

What I did, initially was,just up my portions of everything I ate, a bit. Don't ask me to define a bit, because it was by eye on my plate. For me, that wasn't quite enough, so I added more fat, in a measured way - measured by Baby Bell cheese and sherry glass sized portions of nuts.

Now, now, be kind to me, but they were just easy measures. To be fair, you can use any measure, but best if it's consistent. That allows you to gauge reliably, whether the approach is working.

Once my weight stabilised, I then sort of knew what I'd got to add in, and worked on variations to get that sort of calorie and nutrient mix.

I'm afraid it does involve a fair amount of experimenting, and measuring of your food intake, weight and blood glucose. That allows you to look back and decide on any next steps.

Will the extra fat affect cholesterol?

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
The extra fats should be fine if you are still low carb, as unprocessed fats don't usually cause any issues.
I had raised triglycerides when I was diagnosed but by my first 3 month test they had fell into the normal range.
On cheese, full fat greek yogurt and cheese, plus a little more meat and more eggs then I used to eat.

Spy184

Hello Spy .

Thanks

Spy184

The extra fats should be fine if you are still low carb, as unprocessed fats don't usually cause any issues.
I had raised triglycerides when I was diagnosed but by my first 3 month test they had fell into the normal range.
On cheese, full fat greek yogurt and cheese, plus a little more meat and more eggs then I used to eat.

Great and thanks!

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The usual effect is for an improvement in ratios and levels - but I have yet to find any information which shows a correlation between lower cholesterol and an improvement in life expectancy.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Will the extra fat affect cholesterol?

Most find it doesn't, and it didn't in my own case.

In lots of these things, it's important you know the breakdown of your cholesterol, because, if like me, the total didn't change much, the constituent parts did, in a positive way.

Sadly, in my view, total cholesterol is just that. It's the sum of some numbers. My total in concenviently high, but the breakdown is excellent.

Edited - I detest auto-correct/predictive text. Apologies.

Last edited:

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks. As I’ve responded to others I’m concerned this might raise cholesterol levels...

On LCHF my weight and BP went down but my LDL cholesterol was high. My doctor told me not to continue LCHF. She also told me that for some people high cholesterol is hereditary.
I try to keep my carbs low, but I also try not to eat fats such as eggs and red meat and full-fat dairy. I do eat nuts and fish, and occasionally use olive oil when I need a cooking oil.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks. As I’ve responded to others I’m concerned this might raise cholesterol levels...

With cholesterol it’s important to understand the breakdown, not just look at the total number. Eating this way my triglycerides have dropped significantly, which I believe to be the most important marker. There is a lot of discussion and debate about cholesterol and I’d advise taking time to understand it. This thread provides a wealth of resources to get you started: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/cholesterol-and-statins.156985/