Diabetics R Us

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
When I was training to be a teacher, a lifetime ago, we were advised to lose our local accents and especially dialects. It was seen as bad form. I didn't take that advice. My lovely grandma was born in Walsden (Lancashire), then a small village in a deep valley. Her dialect never left her, even after 50 years of living in Blackpool. She lived with us for several years. It wasn't so much words as phrases with her. When asked where she was going, she would reply "up suff and rowt back o' Jossies". Asking someone to close the door it was always "put wood in th'oil". She had a few Lancashire dialect poetry books.

Ay, dear-ra-me, what talk is this?
Aw'm powfagged wi' all these
Aw'm beawnt ta stick tut dialect,
Which seldom fails to please;
For when all neaw is said and done.
In language, prose or rhyme,
You'll find a true Lancastrian
Spayks gradely evry time.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I lost my Scouser accent not long after moving down to Plymouth when a lad it was either that or be constantly fighting with the local lads because they did not like the way I spoke when I say constantly it was virtually every day.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When I was training to be a teacher, a lifetime ago, we were advised to lose our local accents and especially dialects. It was seen as bad form. I didn't take that advice. My lovely grandma was born in Walsden (Lancashire), then a small village in a deep valley. Her dialect never left her, even after 50 years of living in Blackpool. She lived with us for several years. It wasn't so much words as phrases with her. When asked where she was going, she would reply "up suff and rowt back o' Jossies". Asking someone to close the door it was always "put wood in th'oil". She had a few Lancashire dialect poetry books.

Ay, dear-ra-me, what talk is this?
Aw'm powfagged wi' all these
Aw'm beawnt ta stick tut dialect,
Which seldom fails to please;
For when all neaw is said and done.
In language, prose or rhyme,
You'll find a true Lancastrian
Spayks gradely evry time.

Thank you for posting that. I clicked Like but I also wanted to be able to click Informative, and Winner for keeping your accent.
I've heard of that before, of people in the UK losing their local accents when moving through the ranks of academia; here in the US I have known lots of PhD professors who lecture in the same accents their parents and probably grandparents, et al., used in the small towns they never left.
I've heard of "received pronunciation" and just watching TV I can hear that Queen Elizabeth doesn't speak as her father did; Prince Charles doesn't speak like she does; William and Harry don't speak like Prince Charles (they're the only multi-generational UK family I get to hear! :) ).
I also know that if I do move to the mountain town a couple of hours from where I now live it will take me awhile to understand everything said by the people who have lived there all their lives, especially over the phone. People tend to keep a lot of local dialect words in their vocabularies ... even as TV and the Internet are throwing new slang words at people who are picking them up and using them as if they'd grown up doing so.

I wonder if other languages get the same usage. ...

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I lost my Scouser accent not long after moving down to Plymouth when a lad it was either that or be constantly fighting with the local lads because they did not like the way I spoke when I say constantly it was virtually every day.

The Beatles' were first Liverpool accents I ever heard, and even to my American ear there was a distinction between Paul's accent and Ringo's. But of course I couldn't hear all the various intonations of Northern English and Scottish accents -- I once met an Englishwoman and asked if she was from Liverpool -- she was very nice and said "Close -- Manchester" (I don't know what she was actually thinking!) -- I can't tell the difference between, say, Newcastle and Edinburgh accents.

I grew up in Atlanta, and always assumed I had a Southern accent. And then I went to Auburn University, in Alabama ... :confused::eek:o_O:D

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Ringo is from the Dingle Paul from Walton that would explain it me I'm an Evertonian :)

BTW the lady you met probably meant that as Manchester and Liverpool are both cities in Lancashire and quite close to each other geographically when I was living in Wigan part of greater Manchester it would only take me half an hour or so to drive to Liverpool.

Last edited:

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ringo is from the Dingle Paul from Walton that would explain it me I'm an Evertonian :)

BTW the lady you met probably meant that as Manchester and Liverpool are both cities in Lancashire and quite close to each other geographically when I was living in Wigan part of greater Manchester it would only take me half an hour or so to drive to Liverpool.

I was secretly pleased with myself that I had gotten so close -- I may not hear the difference between a Mancunian? accent and a Liverpudlian? one, but I didn't mistake hers for a Northeastern one. ;)

But then, when watching "Blue Bloods" (NY cop show featuring a Brooklyn family) I told a friend that Danny was the only member of the family who had a real Brooklyn accent -- to which my friend replied that Donnie Wahlberg is actually from Boston. lol
But that show is such a comedy of errors in so many ways ... :D

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

You should have been here to watch the Derbies with me and my onetime friend the Liverpool fan! :D

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Hi all for the last week or two I have not been feeling on top form so have not been on line so much. Mainly just posting fbg then going off line for the most part.

Also had a very bad shocking experience last week when I came down stairs in the morning and found my poor old fridge freezer had died in the night. So sad then the washing machine decided to throw a wobbly so had a dead fridge freezer and a flooded kitchen and a washer to fix, all in the one day. Took Judith ages to get it all sorted though I did lend her my tool kit as I'm always willing to be helpful if I can.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
How are you feeling now @JohnEGreen ? Better I hope. Bummer about the fridge/freezer and the flood. I hope you promised Judith a brand new top of the range fridge freezer for all her efforts, although I'm sure you played a part in clearing up the mess, mending the washer, and sorting the food in the freezer. Welcome back.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
@Bluetit1802 Feeling a lot better now so will be back on line a lot more hope fully I won't delve to deeply into the seemingly long list of things that decided to mess me up sufice it to say ended up spending a lot of time in my bed.

We decided that as we already had a chest freezer to get a larder fridge which only took three days to arrive and is now in place in the kitchen the washer was down to blocked a filter and we got that sorted and yes I did my full part I would never really trust Judith with my tool kit.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@JohnEGreen I am glad to see you back here, I'm so sorry you weren't feeling well. I'm glad you are better now.
What a bad time for the fridge and washer to go on the blink! :( I'm glad you and Judith got them both sorted out. That made me laugh about the tools -- I have my very own tool kit but I remember growing up being trusted with more and more of the tools in my father's toolbox as I got older ...
So when I was grown and out on my own I knew exactly what sort of toolbox I wanted and how to fit it out!

Take care of yourself. :)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Tools? Mr Blue has millions of them. Me? I have my own hammer. I have had my own hammer since we were married on the advice of my mum. It is mine, and well hidden so it doesn't get added to Mr. B's tools.

Nicola M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
A rather funny tale. Took my sensor and Miao Miao off. Put it to one side and thought it was secure. SO came over cuddled up then he left to go back home. Once he’d gone I was looking for my Miao and couldn’t find it, queue the panicking. SO texts to say it was stuck to his trousers. We both laughed about it and he’s keeping it safe for me

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
The issue with the tool box bye the way has nothing to do with gender but everything to do with the number of trips to A&E over the years.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
angelheal.jpg

Nicola M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Passed my driving test today 4th attempt, 3 minors. Absolutely thrilled, couldn’t be happier! :)

Reactions: karen8967