type diagnosis

aard

After reading some posts just realised I have never been told what type of diabetes I have. I was just told my hb1 was too high and I had diabetes.

I just assumed it was type 2 (from symptoms).

Is this normal?

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
After reading some posts just realised I have never been told what type of diabetes I have. I was just told my hb1 was too high and I had diabetes.

Is this normal?
If you're not on insulin, but on medication like metformin or another tablet, diet-controlled or some such, it's pretty safe to say you're a T2. Some turn out to be a T1, LADA, Mody much later on, but this is the basic assumption made. The tests to determine type are expensive, so they usually go with an educated guess based on age, symptoms and weight. If things go from bad to worse the additional testing can be done though.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Totally abnormal. When were you tested, what was the reading ?

Highly unlikely you'd be T1 otherwise you'd be speaking to us from the other side

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Is this normal?

Hi,

You have a topic posted 11 months ago suggesting you were "pre-D for 10 years?" Then had an A1c of "6.7."

(If was attempting to find out what meds you're prescribed.)

We can't diagnose you on the forum.

What is your latest HbA1c? Are you prescribed any medication regarding your diabetes.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Totally abnormal. When were you tested, what was the reading ?

Highly unlikely you'd be T1 otherwise you'd be speaking to us from the other side
If you are LADA (late onset T1) then you will be deteriorating over many months or years which confuses many GPs. If you have continued high BS despite low-carbing then LADA becomes possible as a diagnosis