Can keto cause diabetes???

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bulkbiker, I don't have all my books organized and easily accessible at the moment, but a quick online search said that the energy from carbohydrate intake is 5 to 10 percent on keto, so compared to their 37 percent, that's a BIG difference. I listened to the podcast. She clearly has not looked at or followed Volek's, Phinney's, and Hallberg's work, or Westman's, and doesn't understand how the keto diet works, which makes sense, because that would be too confusing. Must maintain one's confimation bias at all times. ;)

I do not understand confirmation bias. When I started the keto diet, I spent six months looking at all the diets, how they worked, and questioned everything. And I never looked back because all my health markers improved so dramatically.

I like what Jenny Ruhl says... Choose a diet, follow it exactly as designed for three months, then decide whether to stay with it or try another diet.

What I love so much about the low carb diet and it's many variations is that the people who promote it don't just refer briefly to a parade of studies that show this or that, they dig into the details of the study's results so you understand why and how the diet works, and how to know when it's not working.

Oldvatr, thanks as always for your explanations. I always strive to understand your posts. I linked to the study's abstract, bulkbiker linked to the study itself. If interested, here's the link to the study again... https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3057550/

Just a quick aside. I miss BLT sandwiches - (bacon, lettuce, and tomato) - and have been experimenting. Today's effort was really yummy... Combine in bowl 1/2 avocado cubed, 4-6 cherry tomatoes cut into fourths or sixths, 2 slices of thick bacon cooked and sliced into 1/2" sections, 1/3 cup raw walnuts, 1 to 1 1/2 tablespoon mayonnaise, 1 teaspoon of bacon drippings from pan (for added flavor). Mix and enjoy with a side of raw veggies. So good.
Jenny Ruhl did it for me. Her book Blood Sugar 101 was an eye opener for me, and I have not looked back since. Very easy read and I recomend it wholeheartedly.

Reactions: Winnie53

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Yes, that's the reference. Whilst any downward change is welcome, looking at "his" published results paints the picture his mantra should be judged on. Frankly his results are not on a par, and keep the cohort in a high risk category for complications, he should retire now, and quietly. He had the gall to recently attempt to have NutriRECS study pulled due to his bias - https://annals.org/aim/fullarticle/...mption-dietary-guideline-recommendations-from

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Jenny Ruhl did it for me. Her book Blood Sugar 101 was an eye opener for me, and I have not looked back since. Very easy read and I recomend it wholeheartedly.

Yes, and almost all the info in her book is freely available on the www.bloodsugar101.com website.

It is a fabulous resource and I often recommend it for people arriving with T2.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I try to think outside the box if I can. Keto that we discuss here is diet induced intentionally. What if it is induced by other means? Many religions practice long fasts and reduced rations as part of their credo. Obviously many in a war torn area or famine hit area will experience famine induced ketosis. So do we see a sudden rise in diabetes being reported among the survivors? Do people rescued from long shipwreck endurance events become diabetic after their experience? We do have documented records from ancient maritime scenarios where the provisions run low and rations were introduced. Did the Mayflower people for instance have a high rate of diabetes reportied in their diaries and journals?

No. as far as I am aware these events of prolonged starvation do not induce diabetes in the survivors.

Reactions: Jaylee
Amusing. I have come off insulin and halved my other medication in 6 months by going on a low carb diet, (as a vegan meat is not an issue). I expect to come off medication totally within the next six months. So the think you will find that this is incorrect. However it is possible that those on such diets may be missing other essential trace minerals/elements etc , and they should ensure they are getting all their requirements in these areas.

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@dennisrichards welcome to the forum, and congratulations on your excellent progress! We do have a community presence here for those living the vegan/vegetarian lifestyle. If you haven't already, I hope you'll drop by there to introduce yourself and get acquainted... https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/category/vegetarian-diet-forum.71/

It's great that you've found the diet that works best for you.

Please understand that the purpose of this thread is to discuss incorrect information given about the keto diet by a vegan doctor and researcher on a recent vegan podcast. For those of us with diabetes who have benefitted from using the keto diet over many, many years, it's very frustrating and upsetting.

This thread isn't intended to argue whether or not the vegan diet works for some people. It can and does for some people. That said, no diet works for everyone, and we each have to find what works best for us. It's a process.

If you're interested in learning more about the keto diet, there is a keto plant based diet.

There is some information online at www.VirtaHealth.com, also at www.DietDoctor.com, the latter however is a member only website. And you'll have to use the search field for vegan or vegetarian information on those two keto/low carb websites.

Additionally, there is a book on the keto plant based diet that is excellent. You can read more about it here on Amazon... https://www.amazon.com/Ketotarian-M...d=1581640624&s=books&sr=1-2#reader_0525537171

When Ketotarian was published in 2018, I bought it and had one of our older, seasoned vegetarian diabetes group members, who has type 1 diabetes and has used the keto/low carb diet for years, read and review it. She gave it an excellent review. I myself found it to be excellent too and regularly use it as a reference.

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Quick update... I met with our diabetes group member who is vegetarian to lay out the changes I'm making to our diabetes group meetings, and my reasoning for each change. It went very well. She's been part of our group for years and fully intends to continue with us. What we eat at meetings isn't a problem for her because she already knows how to prepare and enjoy plant based keto foods, so will continue meeting with us for general support as a person living with type 1 diabetes. Phew. So relieved (and happy). I would have really missed her presence. :)