Dry Skin

gillianre

Just a little question as I'm a bit worried and my Dr doesn't seem to be interested, for the past few months I've had really dry skin on my legs and stomach, so much so that I itch all the time and started to get infections - I've done a bit of online reading and this may be down to my diabetes but was wondering if anyone else suffers the same?

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
I have problems with skin infections on my legs sometimes, following cellulitis a number of years ago; I use Fucibet cream for this.

For dry skin, I use Diprobase emollient cream, which is very good, rather than E45 which I've never liked.

I get both on prescription (having a very understanding GP!). The Diprobase may be available over the counter; I don't think the Fucibet is.

In my case neither of these is associated with diabetes; I've had them well before diagnosis.

Hope this helps :D

Viv 8)

blackie2711

I found on diagnosis and for about a month after my hands and feet broke out really bad with dry itchy skin the Gp presciped cream which cleared it up. I also think it was related to my diabetes but when i suggested this to my Gp he said no wouldnt be anything to do with it :) funny i never had any skin problems before!

Fallenstar

I have dry skin due to Hypo thyroid mainly I think....Oh no, I'm going to look like I'm really flogging the stuff now :lol: but Coconut oil, Organic ,the stuff you can eat is FANTASTIC for a body moisturiser.
Also Avocado oil...and if you don't fancy using one you can also eat. Then Bio oil is good but not as cheap and as good as the other two. And I have used the lot in the over the counter stuff.

Hope this might help :D

gillianre

It seems to have been for a few months now and getting worse as I itch and spread the infection - tried Diprobase (my mums) last night and the itching did stop for an hour or so. Will speak to the nurse on Wednesday - my first review eeeek

Thank you all

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
You'll probably get a lot more sense out of the nurse :wink:

Let us know how you get on.

Viv 8)

Edit: Fallenstar, I had forgotten about dry skin and under-active thyroid - thank-you for the reminder.

Gillianre, it could be worth mentioning to the nurse. I'm twice your age; I have sub-clinical hypothyroidism (means my tests have always shown in the 'normal' range) but I had a lot of symptoms - eg lethargy, thinning hair, depression, fat, dry skin - and eventually persuaded my GP to treat the symptoms. I now take 100g of levothyroxine daily, feel much better - and my tests still show in the normal range!

iHs

Aqueous Cream is very good for dry itchy skin. It can be bought very cheaply by the tub in many pharmacies. Hospitals often use it.

peecee

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Have a word with your nurse, i get dry itchy skin on my legs and suffer infections when i scratch too hard ( yes i know i shouldnt scratch, but its almost impossible not to) :( was prescribed E45 cream , no more dry itchy skin to scratch :D :D :D

Pipsqueak

I've had dry/itchy hands for months, mentioned it to my GP who didn't seem that interested. Before that I had dry itchy armpits for weeks as well. Use emollients and medicated talk for a while, but then stopped suddenly which I put down to being stress related.

How would I know if I had a thyroid problem? I've been incredibly tired, have slowly been putting in weight and have been a little down but thought all of these things were because I've had a very stressful year or so...

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
It's a simple blood test. Ask your GP/nurse if you can have one next time you're in the surgery.

Have a look at the Thyroid UK website for some good info and a long list of symptoms.

Viv 8)

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I tend to itchy skin and simply moisturise with Body Shop products. I find I'm better if I keep my fat intake up.
Hana

Defren

I have a little dry skin here and there. Aveeno cream is brilliant on my hands, and the podiatrist last week recommended E45 for legs and feet. I do have a little dry skin around my ankles and one heel. The E45 cleared it up in around 3 days. I did pumice my heel very gently then apply the cream.

Hana, I read something in the last couple of days about fat and moisturised skin. My skin is in superb condition since I upped my fat when I dropped the carbs, so it does work - mainly. I know where I read it - The Atkins diet revolution book.

foreverdelayed

Hello, help needed.
I've had problems with my skin on thighs, back, bum cheeks and feet. I'm a bit embarrassed about it and I'm wondering if anyone could tell me if its serious enough to go to docs or if its nothing to worry about. It does seem to be getting worse. It starts as a wee red spot with white centre then it just kicks off and goes really itchy and scabby and can take months to heal. It never used to hurt but it seems to now. Pics attached. Any advice welcome.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Attachments

• 1362993273414.jpg
    1362993273414.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 1,394
  • 1362993290013.jpg
    1362993290013.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 1,407
  • 1362993305200.jpg
    1362993305200.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 1,493

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Foreverdelayed, go to your GP and get it looked at. There's no need for you to be embarrassed - GPs have seen everything - and anyway, how much more embarrassing would it be in a social situation? eg those hot days when we wear shorts ( :lol: :lol: there's 2 inches of snow outside!)

I couldn't really see your pics and anyway, none of us is qualified to diagnose or give advice - except - go to the doctor!

Let us know how you get on. :D

Viv 8)

Epaderm ointment is very good for dry skin. It can be used as a skin cleanser, bath additive, or just rubbed on. Make sure you get the ointment (in a tub) as opposed to the cream, which comes in. pump dispenser. The cream is only really for applying directly to the skin. Hope this helps.

Valeris

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
Heavy exercise.Salt Vegetables without spices
For a natural cure nip down to Holland & Barrett and get some rosehip oil with vitamin E and eat plenty of veggies with vitamin E

Tweetypie

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Spiders, control freaks, untidiness, ignorance.
I use Aveeno body lotion - it is very good. I use Flexitol for feet - completeyl cleared cracked heels! Apply both once a day every morning after shower.

Calomine lotion is also very soothing for temporary relief

Hope this helps

peecee

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
It does look nasty and being diabetics we are prone to skin infections amongst other things, so dont delay , see your doctor or even a nurse, any infection is bad for a diabetic so dont feel bad about seeking medical advice as soon as you can :)

foreverdelayed

Just to follow up cos hardly anyone does. The doc reckons its a bacterial infection and has given me anti biotics. He also advised me to use dettol on the areas twice a day to stop infection. Hopefully it works!!!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App