Low carbs not that easy is it?

turvell

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
been type 2 and the fact i get no sodding help from the NHS at all
hi guys

what do you guys for lunch at work. i really struggle to know what to eat. i hate fish and dont want to eat salad every day. when im at home its easier to do as i can cook etc.
any ideas would be so helpful

steve

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Buy a wide mouthed flask, take soups, chicken soup etc. Boiled eggs and cheese, and don't just stick to cheddar, Italian meats etc are great. Make a sugar free jelly pop it in a small Tupperware or buy the little tubs from Morrisons etc.
It just takes a bit of planning that's all.

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Narcissistic forum members
At work I take a packed lunch for both breakfast and lunch. Lunch is chicken strips/turkey strips or boiled chicken with raw broccoli and other salad type things. Breakfast is Sardines. Simple and easy. Been doing the lunch menu for ~ 1.5 years now since diagnosis

WhitbyJet

Its not that difficult if you plan ahead a little, sandwich made with low carb bread and a flask or container full of soup, or yesterday I had home made Scotch eggs (I used low carb sauasage meat and crushed cashew nuts mixed with parmesan and chilli flaxes as coating) and coleslaw, today its a slice of quiche, made with peppers, red onion and goats cheese and salad stuff.

Monday I took with me the leftovers from the chicken and chorizo stew and a slice of low carb bread, and Tuesday was prosciutto muffins, see here, http://nomnompaleo.com/post/7486819479/ ... ta-muffins, although I made them with 1 small onion, 2 cloves of garlic, 200g mushrooms, 100g spinach, all finely chopped, 100g Greek full fat yogurt, salt, pepper, chilli powder and pinch of turmeric.

turvell

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
hi guys dawnmc

do you mean tinned soups or home made. are tinned soups ok? i do love soup. eggs i like to but i think are limited because of high cholesterol. and i guess cheese to a degree. is it safe to eat very little? i need to loose a lot of weight anyway. so maybe i can just nibble on odd bit here and there. cb i hate fish wich is a total knightmare really as its so good for me

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
eggs shouldnt be limited - its a myth they are 'bad' cholestorol they are actually 'good' cholestorol and contain loads of vitamins

turvell

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
WhitbyJet sounds like you have it down to a T. i always struggle with this stuff as i get bored and then feel like slipping back to bad food. what is low carb bread. do you make it or buy it

is that your cat :) very cute

WhitbyJet

turvell said:
WhitbyJet sounds like you have it down to a T. i always struggle with this stuff as i get bored and then feel like slipping back to bad food. what is low carb bread. do you make it or buy it

is that your cat :) very cute

Oh how I wish that I could take you to work with me for a week and feed you, then you could see for yourself that low carb isnt that difficult at all. Start off by cooking things in double quantity, then take left overs to work with you, soups are always good, esp in winter when you want, very something comforting, tinned soups are not for me, I like to know what I am eating, so just throw together whatever I have at home, meat/poultry/sliced sausages with loads of low carb veggies, add stock and seasoning, herbs/spices, let your imagination run riot. Finish it off with a good glug of double cream to thicken it, it will also help to keep you full for longer.
If its veggie soup you can puree it, or try a caulflower cheese soup, very quick and easy to make and filling.
I bake my own bread, sometimes I use Sukrin bread mix, but some people buy LivLife bread, its under 4 carbs a slice, you buy it in Waitrose, we dont have a Waitrose near us so I havent tried it yet, but I hear its very nice.

Yes thats one of our cats, he is a mischievous, adorable little fella :)

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Homemade soups turvell. Just fry some onions, leeks add stock and chicken chunks.
As engineer says eggs are your friends, we get very little cholesterol from our food, and if we don't get it from that the body makes more to compensate.
You may well find a low carb diet very suitable for reducing weight, try it for a couple of weeks what have you got to lose (weight).
Reducing carbs you need to eat more fat for energy. Fat doesn't make you fat it fills you up. Olive oil, avocados, olives, butter, cream in your coffee - all good.
I'm not good at breakfast but a cup of coffee with coconut oil in satiates me until I'm ready for bacon and eggs.
Look at Eric Westman, and Dana Carpender through Google.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I am retired, but usually eat main meal at midday. thursday is the exception. It's the dai I collect grandaughter from school and take to ballet. I get home later and Husband loves to cook stirfry. Today for lunch Ihave had an avocado with a dash of fruit vinegar. I make the fruit vinegar myself. I bottle wine or cider vinegar poured over frozen berries and xylitol adeded to taste after about 2 days. then puree the fruit, strain and bottle. A tasty salad dressing.
Hana

turvell

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
thanks guys for all your amazing ideas :) really thank you

turvell

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
i was just looking at a mushroom soup recipe and it says serves 6 and the carb info is per serving of 20.4g and 9% is that high carb. are we supposed tio look for carbs under a certain amount

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Cream of mushroom soup, fry a small onion till soft (about 7g of carbs) add your mushrooms chopped up, (carbs negligible) oh alright then about 3 ish in 8 ounces. Add your stock veg/chicken. Salt, pepper, when its cooked about 20 mins, you can add a splosh of cream. Cool it reheat the next morning and pop in the flask.

WhitbyJet

turvell said:
i was just looking at a mushroom soup recipe and it says serves 6 and the carb info is per serving of 20.4g and 9% is that high carb. are we supposed tio look for carbs under a certain amount

I just sent you my recipe for wonderfully creamy, tasty mushroom soup, check your PM x

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Be careful when looking at recipes on US sites, they give total carbs including fibre, you don't need to worry about fibre, we use net carbs in the UK.

dlmoak

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Over the long term (years, not months), many people find it difficult to maintain a low carb eating plan. Jenny Ruhl has a book on the subject. There is a lot of good information about diabetes on her website: http://diabetesupdate.blogspot.com/ One thing you can try to make your lunch decisions easier is to not eat lunch :) . Seriously, if your carb load is low enough, you won't necessarily feel hungry at lunch time. The extra time for your body to deal with whatever your blood sugars are after breakfast is also beneficial.

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Dana Carpender has been low carbing for 17 years, she has some great recipe books out.