cauliflower mash

aqualung

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
do you add anything to the cauliflower or not? Has anyone made this with frozen cauliflower? Does it work?

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
do you add anything to the cauliflower or not? Has anyone made this with frozen cauliflower? Does it work?

Haven't tried it with frozen cauliflower but it should be fine- I simply add butter and salt and black pepper to mine.:)

Reactions: 3 people

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
boil the cauliflower until its just starting to go soft, pour it from pan into a collinder then squeeze as much water out as possible, i use a cereal bowl in a big round collinder, then put it in the blender, some say add cream at this stage but i dont, then put it back in the pot on a lo heat, add butter and cream cheese, and grated cheese of your choice and warm through

Reactions: 5 people

aqualung

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
thank you for your replies. My husband made it the other day but just mashed it, I wasn't keen on the bits. I will suggest he blends it next time and make it smoother

chubbyian

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Arrogance
I grate the cauliflower before cooking, I do one or two a week and freeze it :angelic:

WhitbyJet

I use frozen cauli all the time; place in microwavable bowl, dont add water, cover and cook until stems are tender, pour off any liquid, add salt and either half a Kallo chicken stock cube or a good pinch of ground nutmeg, decent knob of butter, use stick blender to puree, stir in a handful of grated cheese.

Also try cabbage mash;
Cut out the stalk from a white cabbage, tear or cut leaves, use about half a cabbage. Place in microwavable bowl, add about four or five tbsps of single cream, half a Kallo chicken stock cube or good pinch of ground nutmeg, cover and cook until cabbage is tender, puree with stick blender, season with salt and a huge knob of butter.

Top with crispy fried smokey bacon if liked, its divine. I was sceptical at first, couldnt imagine cabbage mash, but seriously it tastes close to mashed potatoes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 5 people

luceeloo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
oooh Cabbage mash. I do love cabbage, and will try this for tea tonight!

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Prefer celeriac mash, is womderful stuff. Tried cauli mash and rice and hated it to be hones, just cant seem to get rid of the cauli flavour which I detest

chubbyian

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Arrogance
so do you boil it afterwards?
Hy Andy I either boil or fry it, It is well good fried with some onions, bacon bits, mushrooms and 2 fried eggs, a bit like bubble and squeak I used to have as a kid :smug:

Reactions: 2 people

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
I never boil it beforehand for cauli 'rice' consistency but I would for cauli mash. Haven't used frozen cauli but I can see it working just as well. For cauli rice I just process in food processor and then stir fry with a little olive oil for about 6-7 mins. I try adding a lot of different spices - paprika, curry powder, cumin etc. I also have added fennel seeds, sesame seeds and caraway seeds which are all nice

aqualung

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
thank you for all your replies, lots of different new things to try! I bought some frozen cauliflower today so will give it try,