Concern Over GlucoMen Blood Tests - Giving High Results

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Earlier this year I was issued with a GlucoMen blood testing kit (manufactured by Menorini) by my local medical practice.
This was to replace a Bayer Contour blood testing kit.
I was informed that the local Health Authority were switching to the Glucomen kits (in the interests of economy).
Immediately on using the Glucomen kit I found that blood sugar readings were higher than expected.
After expressing my concern to my local medical practice, I was asked to compare test results using both the GlucMen and Contour test kits.
This I did over a period of several weeks, and meticulously recorded the two sets of results.
The result was that the GlucoMen kit gave results that were consistently 20% higher than the Bayer Contour kit.
Additionally, some of the GlucoMen readings were ludicrously high.
I reported this in detail to my local medical practice, who returned the Glucomen kit to Menorini, with a covering letter.
When I enquired of the practice as to what Memorini findings were about the results and the returned test kit, I was informed that Memorini had replied they HAD NEVER RECEIVED the letter or kit.
This, of course, may be a neat way of Menorini not wanting to have anything further to do with the "complaint".
So we are now back to square one. Or square -1, as I don't have the use of any test kit at the moment.
My local medical practice is no further forward in finding out anything as regards the reliability of Memorini GlucoMen test kits.
They have been issued to a number of patients in the area, and, at the moment, there is no feedback as to whether these kits can be relied upon, - OR NOT.
Does anybody else have any experience as regards Menorini Glucomen test kits which might support my concerns?

Alanp35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cricket, golf
Could also be the practice not wanting anything interfering with their budget control. May not even have been sent off as glucomen could also be providing mates rates on the meters.

Late onset T1, several auto immune issues.
Humalogmix25 twice a day, Methotrexate 25mg once per week, FolicAcid 5mg once per week, prednisolone 5mg daily, Allopurinol 300mg, Calcichew-D3 800iu, Levothyroxine 50mcg, Atenolol 50mg, Losarten 100mg, Aspirin 75mg, Nicorandil 20mg, Nitrolingual GTN spray, Metformin 2000mg, Allimemazine 10mg, Lanzoprazole 30mg, Atorvastatin 20mg, Co Codamol 8/500mg, Depo Medrone (Methylprednisolone) or double Prednisolone for 7 days in case of RA flare.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm confident that the local medical practice DID send the test kit to Menorini. I have spoken to the Chief Pharmacist at the practice and she isn't a happy bunny at the moment regarding this business.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
I use the Glucomen LX Plus, is this having the same problems ? I've not heard anything regarding high readings but hopefully someone else can off some more info.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The kit that I was supplied with was probably the Glucomen GM. I say, probably, as returned the whole lot to the medical practice (box, test strips, needles - the lot) and am only going by what I recognise on the Glucomen website.
Some of the readings I obtained were so ridiculous that I would hate to have to rely on it for, say, injecting insulin.
As far as I am concerned, the kit that I was issued with wasn't much better than a toy.

Jacksdad287

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have just been issued with a Glucomen GM. I agree, I am not overly impressed. It has got to be the cheapest, nastiest meter I have ever used in my 14 years as an inulin dependant diabetic. If it doesn't do the job it will be going back and I will be reverting to my Freestyle Insulux.
Which health authority issued the meter? I got mine from Medway, Kent.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
If you have complaints of inaccurate readings from equipment then you should be reporting to MHRA. Well, actually your Practice staff should have done this.

If equipment is faulty, you should not send it back to a manufacturer before a replacement is sent to you.

All manufacturers HAVE to ensure with blood test meters that they are cleaned properly from your blood before returning to them... They should provide you with alcholic wipes to cleanthemachines AND a returns bag.

NEVER send any equipment to a manufacturer without getting a replacement first and them sending you packaging etc to return it.

You should never send any meter etc back in the post without being properly cleaned first...

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Many thanks for the above comments. I shall let my local medical practice see them.
As regards returning the kit, I don't believe that there is any risk of blood contamination on the kit. However, I am only a layman in this respect.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
From returning cams, meters, pumps all the manufacturers have sent me specific envelopes, with their returns dept details on and all have included alcohol wipes and clear instructions of what todo to clean up machines before subjecting any post office worker that may accidentally open,or their staff to any microscopic contamination...I'm not an expert on blood,just returning faulty equipment that may have a microscopic on them! -lol

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App