LCHF: Eating saturated fat may not cause high cholesterol but......

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Why do some people eat carbs, have higher levels of insulin and not get fat?
Why do some eat carbs, get diabetes and not get fat?

Both of these follow on questions are explained by the idea that fat is first deposited in the liver, where you can't really see it (without an MRI), and there is an individual genetic trigger for each individual for how much liver fat they can tolerate before they get T2D.

But that's more recent research and I suppose it does not yet have a consensus, mainly just because not all the doctors have heard of the research yet. To me the research is totally convincing: a close and reversible correlation between liver fat and T2D.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Both of these follow on questions are explained by the idea that fat is first deposited in the liver, where you can't really see it (without an MRI), and there is an individual genetic trigger for each individual for how much liver fat they can tolerate before they get T2D.

But that's more recent research and I suppose it does not yet have a consensus, mainly just because not all the doctors have heard of the research yet. To me the research is totally convincing: a close and reversible correlation between liver fat and T2D.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

This comment comes closer to addressing what I was trying to say than any of your other comments. And it is news to me, so thank you. Apologies if I expressed myself so badly that you spent all those words not addressing what I thought I had said.

However, I will cheerfully continue to speculate that modern science has not yet plumbed the full depths of carb/fat interaction within the human body.

Reactions: 2 people

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
However, I will cheerfully continue to speculate that modern science has not yet plumbed the full depths of carb/fat interaction within the human body.

Well I have no doubt you are right about that! :)

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Reactions: 2 people

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Last night I watched Dr Robert Lustig's YouTube video 'Sugar: The Bitter Truth' again, which has had some 3.9 million more views since I first watched it. Obviously, it's centered on sugar and fructose rather than fat, but Dr Lustig, a professor of paediatric endocrinologist at UCSF and director of a child obesity clinic at UCSF Benioff Hospital does explain how the liver gets to be fat from sugary stuff and sodas. He also explains how fructose ups VLDL and what to look for in your cholesterol results.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Cod and bean stew

Ingredients

1 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, chopped
small rosemary sprig, leaves finely chopped
25g chorizo or other spicy sausage, chopped
2 fat garlic cloves, crushed
700g bottle passata
410g can cannellini beans in water, drained
200g shredded green cabbage
4 skinless chunky fillets haddock or cod

Method

Heat the oil in a large frying pan, then soften the onion for 5 mins. Add the rosemary, chorizo and garlic, then fry for 2 mins more until the chorizo is starting to crisp. Tip in the passata, beans, cabbage and sugar, season, then simmer for 5 mins.
Add the fish to the pan, leaving the tops of the fillets peeking out of the sauce, then cover with a lid and leave to cook for 5-8 mins or until the flesh flakes easily.
Cheat: use garlic butter and dried rosemary instead of fresh rosemary and garlic cloves.
That sounds good but although I love fish I have never been able to get my head around a fish stew somehow I always associate stew as being meat but maybe it is time to try a fish version. I love watching Rick Stein and the countries he visits and he often has a fish stew which looks lovely

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We still do not really know much about fat/carbs and if they are good or bad and I agree with Brunneria that science has much more to do yet about their interaction with the whole of the human body not just for diabetes