Holiday's and drinking!

NotSoSweet2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rudeness, tv soaps.
This might seem like a silly question but as summer is almost around the corner my friends have invited me to go on holiday with them, the evenings are obviously going to be a problem as they will all want to go out drinking, dining etc. any suggestions as to what I can drink? I just want to be safe and plan ahead! All answers welcome! Thank You!

wizardo

Drink red wine and dry whites (sauvignon blanc, pinot grigio etc) keep off the sweet whites. Try and keep the carbohydrate intake as low as possible, eat loads of eggs, meat, vegetables, cheese. Enjoy the odd ice cream or dessert, but don't pig out on them. Cappacinos and any coffee, great and tea. Keep off the fruit juices.

Indiana91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Drink red wine and dry whites (sauvignon blanc, pinot grigio etc) keep off the sweet whites. Try and keep the carbohydrate intake as low as possible, eat loads of eggs, meat, vegetables, cheese. Enjoy the odd ice cream or dessert, but don't pig out on them. Cappacinos and any coffee, great and tea. Keep off the fruit juices.

Remember that alcohol can drop your blood sugars a few hours after drinking.

I've always been advised to eat a carb meal before going out drinking and to eat a snack with carbs in before going to bed.

Don't know if you're type 1 or type 2 but I'm type 1 and this is what I was told.

Wine causes me to hypo for the whole of the following day.

Doctors recommend drinking spirits instead.

Also remember that you're more prone to hypos in the heat.

Above all, have a really good time!

Indiana x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 4 people

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
As Indiana says, wine does have a tendency to cause delayed hypos overnight and the following day. Stick to a couple of glasses a night if you can. Make every other drink water. If having soft drinks, make sure they're from cans or bottles so you know they're sugar free. Have a small amount of carb before bed. I tend to run my BG a little higher while on holiday.

Have a good holiday!

Smidge

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
If I'm not mistaken (reading some of your previous posts) you are a type 2 and not on insulin but do take various meds, therefore I'd check with the patient information leaflets if it's safe to drink or ask your gp or pharmacist.

Generally red wine has very few carbs as do some spirits, rather than wait for your holidays and potentially spoil it, why don't you try a few drinks at home first, if you have a bad reaction then you know not to drink when your away but if your fine then party away :)

Reactions: 5 people

NotSoSweet2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rudeness, tv soaps.
Thank you everyone, that info was really helpful. Yes noblehead I am type 2 and on various meds so I think I will space it out a bit, drinking every night for a week/two weeks is not very wise but I don'y want to be a party pooper so your suggestion of a few drinks at home first (any excuse to party :woot::angelic:) sounds good.

NotSoSweet2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rudeness, tv soaps.
Thanks wizardo, Indiana91 and smidge, I appreciate all your advice!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you usually spend time around your friends when they've been drinking?

I ask because I don't drink, and no matter how much I love my friends I don't love them drunk. They are soooo boring!!!! And the things they find funny are about kindergarten level. Either that, or they get maudlin. With the attention spans of brain damaged gnats. Lol.

They probably feel I'm really boring too! And a spoilsport. And a wet lettuce.

So we compromise by only meeting up when they haven't been drinking!

Worth thinking about - you wouldn't want to lose friends because of them boring you rigid for 2 weeks...

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thank you everyone, that info was really helpful. Yes noblehead I am type 2 and on various meds so I think I will space it out a bit, drinking every night for a week/two weeks is not very wise but I don'y want to be a party pooper so your suggestion of a few drinks at home first (any excuse to party :woot::angelic:) sounds good.
I would call that getting into the holiday mood before you get there

NotSoSweet2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rudeness, tv soaps.
Brunneria I don't drink and yes I understand totally where you are coming from in regards of boring, loud, in your face drunks (I used to be one lol) well actually I was never like that or maybe I was :). I find sitting in a bar or pub almost as boring as watching paint dry but I guess on holiday you make an exception as long as you don't compromise too much and keep a level head. I will probably have the equivalent of a bottle of wine all holiday. You can still have fun with or without alcohol ;)and each to their own!

NotSoSweet2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rudeness, tv soaps.
Andrew I have a confession to make, I don't really drink :);) Well maybe very ocassionally! So are you a party animal?

semiphonic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Ignorant people, diabetes!
Gin and slimline tonic is very very low in carbs, of course if you don't really drink you could just have the slimline tonic, who's going to know there's no gin in it? ;)

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Andrew I have a confession to make, I don't really drink :);) Well maybe very ocassionally! So are you a party animal?
No I rarely drink and actually went dry for many years. As for a party animal, give me a quiet room with no one around and I am happy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I go out drinking every weekend and I've never had a problem but! I would say know your limit and don't go past that! And have a good meal before that have both carbs & protein.. But this is my personal experience! And trust me I drink a lot! So the odd few on a nice summers day shouldn't be a problem.

Drink responsibly lol

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App