Idiopathic type 1 diabetes

debbiiee

Hi
Saw my doctor today & he was pretty happy seeing my BG readings, and asked me to eat & monitor BG, and suggested rapid acting insulin too... I will be away for easter, so I am planning to start rapid acting after easter...:)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people

debbiiee

And Mike, I would be really happy to have all the scientific information too. Your posts were really useful to me as a medical student, apart from helping me manage my KPD. Waiting for ur posts:)

debbiiee

Today only one of my 1 hour postprandial value was at 172mg/dl, & everyother 1hour & 2 hours postprandial were within 140!!!! That 172 was a result of having 2 full pomegranate with some yoghurt & almonds as snacks. I could not resist eating pomegranate:p I went for a 30 minute cycling & my BG was 94 at the end of 2 hours from 172!!! Is that all right?:rolleyes:

Reactions: 2 people

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
That's pretty excellent! :)

Remember that the cycling is only partly responsible for the drop. Exercise doesn't correct blood sugar that fast. Most of the reduction is your plucky little beta cells, bless 'em!

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Well yeah sugary sweets will do that. Your plucky little beta cells can keep you healthy but they are not up to the challenge of sweets any more. :-(

emikedbarker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Mike
I would also be pleased to know about BMI. My body mass index was 18 at diagnosis after 7 kgs of weight loss, then 18.5 with insulin in a month, then I was 19... But now again I went down to 18. I am looking so lean that everyone who knows me inquires Why my weight has gone down. But I am not concerned much about this, just want to know if this KPD is related to low body mass index too....

There might be. A third of us are normal weight. The killer part is that the obese KPD's tend to be far more successful in managing their diabetes. It's just weird.

emikedbarker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Could you do me a favor? Leave as much of your story on my blog so other people might read it. Every little bit helps.

Good Luck

Mike

debbiiee

I am currently taking novorapid before each meals, a total of 7 units per day. Yesterday night i went to bed at 87mg/dl & morning got up with a fasting value of 140! Its the same thing happening for few days, my fasting BG is higher than bedtime value:(
What's happening:confused:

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Do you have a correction ratio? Whatever correction dose you took in the morning to correct the high BG, add that same amount - or maybe half of that, initially - to your night time basal dose.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Actually I am not on any basal insulin. I am taking only novorapid with meals...
Ah OK. In which case, you might have to start taking some.

You might get away with increasing your insulin:carb bolus ratio. Post those numbers. :)

debbiiee

Sure. I talked to my GP today. He asked to take levemir... I will probably start this weekend...

Sent from my GT-S5830i using DCUK Forum mobile app