BMI idle musings

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
I know that traditional BMI has been to some extent discredited although in macro terms it is a rough guide to where you are in the skeleton/normal/mass of blubber range.

However whilst reassuring myself that I am within the normal BMI range using
http://www.nhs.uk/Tools/Pages/Healthyweightcalculator.aspx
I really looked at the BMI range.

Now I am a {cough} mature male who is around six feet tall.

Looking at the site above my 'normal' BMI range is from 9 stone 10 lbs to 13 stone 3 lbs.
I weigh 12 stone 10 lbs at the moment so I am within the normal range.
However I am idly contemplating what I would look (and feel) like if I weighed 9 stone 10 lbs!
Dem bones, dem bones, dem dry bones......clatter, clatter, clatter......

[Although the great Charles Atlas who featured in the adverts at the back of all the war comics of my youth claimed to convert a 7 stone weakling into a 'real man' using Dynamic Tension.]

Further thought - I was quite a gangly youth and at school in my teens I consistently weighed in at 11 stone 7 lbs over several years.
On the site above this places me at that weight to the heavy side of normal weight with a BMI of 21.8.

Hang on - I put in my age when this weight was measured as 15 (made me tell my birth date and the date the measurement was taken) and said I was in the 79th percentile for this age.

Check at age 16 - 72nd percentile.

So according to BMI I have been towards the top of the normal weight range since a teenager.

This is making me very suspicious of the 'normal' BMI range as I can't recall carrying any surplus fat as a teenager.

However it would be good to return to the 32" waist I vaguely remember so perhaps I am further up the BMI scale than I care to admit.
At 12 stone 7 lbs I am around a 34" waist (or was a year or so ago).

So will try and slowly lose a few more pounds, and check how I feel at 12 stone 7lbs - and see if I can face going any lower.

This is quite important, because I don't seem to be carrying much fat at the moment over most of my body, so what I am carrying must be around my internal organs.
So working my way down towards the 12 stone mark may improve my insulin resistance and BG control.

Still, <shudder> 9 stone 10 lbs and being told I am still a normal weight?
Doesn't bear thinking about.
I would have to be bed bound and starving with major muscle wastage to get down that low.

I (and possibly others) have felt disgruntled from time to time when people claim that T2 diabetes can be reversed just by losing weight, when my BMI is in the normal range.
So perhaps there is still room for significant improvement.
Although somehow this did remind me of
http://dilbert.com/strips/comic/1997-05-13/

So - in conclusion (drinks will be served shortly) anyone for the under 22 BMI club?

Cheers

LGC

Janiept

Expert
Yes this is a tough one isn't it. Your BMI is normal - god I hate that word - but maybe, just maybe if you lose some weight your diabetes will come under control.
When I was diagnosed 18 months ago my BMI was 22 so no major weight problems but I got quite obsessive about food and exercise and my BMI is now down to 18 and last Hba1c caused my doctor to pronounce that I am no longer diabetic?
Oh and yes, I look like a bag of bones. Very unattractive.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I just tried out your link, which tells me my healthy weight is between 7st.10lbs and 10st.6lbs.

30 years ago I went to Weight Watchers and successfully lost weight. I weighed in at slightly under 9 stones. I was a bag of bones. My bones stuck out, and my face looked gaunt. Everyone thought I was ill or coming down with something. I had to have an operation shortly after this, and was told by the doctors that I was under weight. I ate for England until I weighed in at 9st.8lbs. The difference was amazing. I looked normal. My point is, if I went down to what that BMI says - 7st.10lbs I would look anorexic and definitely not healthy. Where on earth do they get these "healthy" weights from?

Reactions: 2 people

Randburg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grey Cats
In South Africa where I reside, the move is away from BMI, to % Body Fat, as the feeling is that BMI does not take into account your Body Type(Frame). If your frame is big,( large boned) you will nearly always exceed BMI, but % Fat can be normal.
I think in the long run I prefer to carry less fat ? I'm 2% over body mass Index, but happy with my weight
Comments?

Reactions: 2 people

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
According to the Atkins calculate height, weight BMI I need to lose a further 4 stone. I actually think that 3 will do. My husband must lose another 4lbs. If he does this, there won't be a lot left. I think looking too thin is as bad as being too fat. Always remember when I was 20 years younger and a healthy size 14, seeing a woman whose bones were sticking out on her back and when she turned around her collar bones were so prominent that you could have used them to hang clothes off. I think they're is too much focus on appearance and an obsession with weight. Obviously being obese is not a good idea and I have to admit I was a fool for allowing myself to get to my biggest size due to the impact that will have had on my body. However, too thin and all the health issues that brings is not a good idea. I'm aiming for balance. Everything in moderation (apart from carbs! :eyeroll:

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Raises an interesting thought - apart from some kind of scan how could they estimate the amount of visceral fat?

Given that visceral fat is the biggie for T2s.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I think it's been accepted for a while that body fat % is a more relevant measure. It was just harder for doctors to measure it quickly and easily. Now that body fat % scales are more common maybe we should switch to that. I know that are not perfect but it sounds like they are more accurate than BMI.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

julifriend

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
BMI of 19.1 here! On diagnosis I was at the top end of the normal BMI for my height and age and now I'm pretty near the bottom. I weigh less now than I did in my teens and now fit into 30" waist trousers. Thankfully I seem to have stopped losing weight whch is just as well.

Janiept

Expert
Ok, so I look like a bag of bones and people keep saying I look awful but putting vanity aside, life is so much easier at this low weight.
Housework, exercise, gardening, just running up and down stairs is a piece of cake (oops) :hilarious:
and we are talking about health here aren't we.

PS, After typing this I clicked on another thread and saw this which seemed kind of apt haha.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/picture-loons.35029/page-49#post-523077