I wanted to Burn Out not Fade Away

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
What's all this West Yorkshire? If there's an East Riding, there must be West and North Ridings too:

East_Riding_Logo.jpg

There are still village signs that proudly display Yorks W R

360px-Signpost_near_Skirethorns_-_geograph.org.uk_-_1009850.jpg

Reactions: 2 people

Gudrun

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hmmm.. probably a lot less than stuff I like
What's all this West Yorkshire? If there's an East Riding, there must be West and North Ridings too:

East_Riding_Logo.jpg

There are still village signs that proudly display Yorks W R

TE]

Brilliant. Although when I first moved to England I think it was already West Yorkshire (1976), but I do remember talk about the West Riding.

lunarlinda

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Injustice, discrimination, greed, selfishness, WAR
You can't beat the friendliness and hospitality of Yorkshire folk. I'm proud to be from Yorkshire, I love wearing my flat cap and my whippet is very happy too! xx

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Again we have a similar life story, except I've been mainly healthy until just a couple of years ago, when my blood pressure started giving me problems. I've been on lots of temporarily successful diets in my time, but never seriously tried Atkins (though I found 2 books in my bookcase!), as it seemed to go against all the current medical advice at the time. I've always been an interested cook though and fast food or pre-prepared anything very rarely touches my lips. I'm currently just trying to make the lowest carb things I possibly can and ditching the 'serve with potato/rice/pasta' bit.

I was about to put away the slow cooker yesterday evening (used for the casserole the night before) when I had a bit of a brainwave and mixed three egg yolks with double cream, some sweetener and a tablespoon of lemon juice. I divided the custard into 4 ramekins and set them, covered in clingfoil, in the pot with boiling water in the bottom. Cooked them an hour on medium (just below boiling) whilst we watched Game of Thrones. We couldn't resist trying one luke warm a bit later, but they'll be better fridge cold today. They tasted very indulgent and the lemon juice took away the sweetener tang. I admit I only realised that lemon juice had carbs after I had added it (I have lots to learn!), but I googled it at just 1 per tbsp, so that can't be bad. I think, if my weight drops and my next tests are ok, I can live like this long-term. It's cert ainly done wonders already for the IBS or wheat-intolerance or whatever I bloody had when I first went to the doctor!

Question: are you self-testing? I'm not yet, on doctor's advice as she said they could 'lead to complacency'. She's good otherwise, though, and was delighted that I had joined a forum for advice.

Very glad to hear you have family to visit you. Will the move take you nearer?
Here's an interesting question: is your doctor diabetic? I suspect not. So many of us have been given so many reasons not to that someone actually started a thread. If it hadn't been so worrying, it would have been funny. Had I not been testing, I would not have known what was wrong (hypo 3.3) and wouldn't have phoned the NHS helpline who wouldn't have sent the ambulance. Turns out with the weight loss and the LCHF diet, I had to much metformin in my system. Now reduced to 1. My hba1c has also reduced from 79 to 42. The bottom line for going against the NICE guidelines is cost. Not complacency. I would strongly recommend that you buy one of your own. You can get an sd codefree monitor from ebay and the strips cost £7 as opposed to approximately £25 for the ones from the chemists.

Helsin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good Morning Scandichic, I ordered it yesterday through Amazon. Should be here by Thursday. Also found a useful-looking app for my ipad so I can monitor weightloss, bp etc. 1.5 kg down this morning. Not huge, but a start.

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Again we have a similar life story, except I've been mainly healthy until just a couple of years ago, when my blood pressure started giving me problems. I've been on lots of temporarily successful diets in my time, but never seriously tried Atkins (though I found 2 books in my bookcase!), as it seemed to go against all the current medical advice at the time. I've always been an interested cook though and fast food or pre-prepared anything very rarely touches my lips. I'm currently just trying to make the lowest carb things I possibly can and ditching the 'serve with potato/rice/pasta' bit.

I was about to put away the slow cooker yesterday evening (used for the casserole the night before) when I had a bit of a brainwave and mixed three egg yolks with double cream, some sweetener and a tablespoon of lemon juice. I divided the custard into 4 ramekins and set them, covered in clingfoil, in the pot with boiling water in the bottom. Cooked them an hour on medium (just below boiling) whilst we watched Game of Thrones. We couldn't resist trying one luke warm a bit later, but they'll be better fridge cold today. They tasted very indulgent and the lemon juice took away the sweetener tang. I admit I only realised that lemon juice had carbs after I had added it (I have lots to learn!), but I googled it at just 1 per tbsp, so that can't be bad. I think, if my weight drops and my next tests are ok, I can live like this long-term. It's cert ainly done wonders already for the IBS or wheat-intolerance or whatever I bloody had when I first went to the doctor!

Question: are you self-testing? I'm not yet, on doctor's advice as she said they could 'lead to complacency'. She's good otherwise, though, and was delighted that I had joined a forum for advice.

Very glad to hear you have family to visit you. Will the move take you nearer?

"lead to complacency"? That takes the (low-carb) biscuit!! :D

Gudrun

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
can get an sd codefree monitor from ebay and the strips cost £7 as opposed to approximately £25 for the ones from the chemists.

Scandichick, can you (or someone else) please explain the differences between the various monitors? I bought an AccuCheck when I first started self-testing a year ago (strips cost £25). And as I am only prediabetic my GP won't fund it, so I pay for it myself. But I go through quite a few each day and it is getting expensive.

The SD Codefree monitor... is it the same as AccuCheck? Which one do you use? It would be nice to have something of equal value with less cost.

peacetrain

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have the accu check on prescription and I go through about 50 tests per week. Nobody at the surgery was mentioning how much I was using but I felt guilty so I bought a code free and fund myself. In my pinion there's little difference so, if I were you, I would transfer to the code free. I can't believe the NHS hasn't plumped for a cheaper option. Are they on commission for the products they prescribe? The accucheck mobile I have will be handy when on holiday though. From what I've read here, many people are very happy with the Codefree. Hope this helps.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 3 people

patjenkins1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Try to eat healthy snacks not bars of any sort. I have found all the do called health bars increase my abdominal fat. Like you low carb dirt actually gies against the grain because I have had lie fat drummed into me for over 30 years. And what good has it done me. Non. I have heart disease, and take tablets for cholesterol and blood pressure so I am trying to change my outlook on diet. It's not easy after so many years of brainwashing . Good luck

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Gudrun

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
thanks, Peacetrain. It seems odd that the NHS doesn't change guidelines which monitor they prescribe. Perhaps the Codefree is newer? Or are they just very slow in changing?

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Scandichick, can you (or someone else) please explain the differences between the various monitors? I bought an AccuCheck when I first started self-testing a year ago (strips cost £25). And as I am only prediabetic my GP won't fund it, so I pay for it myself. But I go through quite a few each day and it is getting expensive.

The SD Codefree monitor... is it the same as AccuCheck? Which one do you use? It would be nice to have something of equal value with less cost.
That's what I was telling you all although I understand the reluctance to buy off internet. The sd codefree monitor is currently on sale on ebay. Diabetics get a discount. About £12 for initial kit and £7 for strips thereafter. Tap in sd codefree into the search engine. Home health uk is the seller. Very quick too. Stores readings too and requires less blood.

Reactions: 3 people

Gudrun

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
That's what I was telling you all although I understand the reluctance to buy off internet. The sd codefree monitor is currently on sale on ebay. Diabetics get a discount. About £12 for initial kit and £7 for strips thereafter. Tap in sd codefree into the search engine. Home health uk is the seller. Very quick too. Stores readings too and requires less blood.

Thanks, Scandichick. I had a look on Amazon for this monitor and one reviewer claimed that the measurement of the BG is widely inaccurate compared to their current/previous monitor. Do you use it? I have just bought another 50 strips for my current monitor so can wait a week or so before getting another (cheaper) version.

I am happy to be persuaded to change :)

forgot to say that I have just put a new thread out to see what monitors people use and what their experiences (with accuracy) is.

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thanks, Scandichick. I had a look on Amazon for this monitor and one reviewer claimed that the measurement of the BG is widely inaccurate compared to their current/previous monitor. Do you use it? I have just bought another 50 strips for my current monitor so can wait a week or so before getting another (cheaper) version.

I am happy to be persuaded to change :)

forgot to say that I have just put a new thread out to see what monitors people use and what their experiences (with accuracy) is.
Got mine from ebay and very happy with it! Can only speak as I find.

Gudrun

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thanks, I have ordered it. Should be mine in a day or two :)
I have ordered replacement strips, paid an extra 0.77 first class and they were there the next day. Needs less blood than the accu check. Hope it works well!

Gudrun

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I ordered them from Amazon and got an email yesterday that they were on their way. I look forward to compare the readings with my old AccuChek. Thanks a lot of your recommendation, Scandichick. Not just with the meter, but also with the LCHF diet. You were the first to recommend it to me and I have been following it eversince and found it easy.

My husband yesterday suggested that, as I have done so well, I should be ok to have the occasional chocolate or biscuit, but I know if I do, the thud with which I fall off the wagon could be heard from here to Scandinavia (and further afield) :)

Helsin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just received my monitor in the post. Time to get serious.