MiniMed Paradigm® Veo™ Insulin Pump and Continuous Glucose Monitoring System

Topher

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
HI, I thinking i might be getting this pump, and just seeing if anyone has any reviews about it and the CGM part of it. When you disconnect, can you still swim, take a bath/jacuzzi with the CGM sensor/ reciever still attached etc . What is the CGM like during sporting activities - any reviews would be helpful - thank you

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
HI, I thinking i might be getting this pump, and just seeing if anyone has any reviews about it and the CGM part of it. When you disconnect, can you still swim, take a bath/jacuzzi with the CGM sensor/ reciever still attached etc . What is the CGM like during sporting activities - any reviews would be helpful - thank you

I can't answer many of the questions except to tell you the sensors are well known not to be that reliable or accurate. If you are self funding those then save yourself some money by having the vibe and using the dexcom sensors as they last a lot longer and are more reliable.
The receiver is built into the pump so obviously you can't have that attached whilst swimming as the pump is not waterproof.

Julie1471

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Having high blood sugars!!!!!
Topher, the vibe is waterproof, but can not be used in a hot tub or jacuzzi, due to the change in water temp and I think it might be the same for the sensor. But you can bath/shower and swim with the pump, you just have to make sure that the seals on the battery cover and cartridge cover still have the rubber membranes on. Give me a little while and I'll have a look in my user manual to see if the Dexcom is waterproof and for how long. ,

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dexcom is waterproof and is used by triathletes that im aware of so must be fairly robust. not sure if there is a time span - I'm not aware there is.

Julie1471

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Having high blood sugars!!!!!
Ok, looked at the Dexcom manual, it says that the sensor is water resistant when showing,bathing,swimming if the transmitter is fully snapped in. And that it's been tested to be water resistant when submerged up to 8.0feet for 24hrs. But that the transmission range from the transmitter to the pump is up to 12feet without obstruction. But the wireless communication does not work well in water so the range is much less, if you are in a pool or bath.

Topher

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
HI, Thanks for that. But it is really infor on the Medtronic Veo with CGM that i am looking for, as i can get all the consimables funded for this, and if i go for the Animas Vibe w/ dexcom, i would have to self fund the CGM Dexcom part

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You can get the CGM consumables funded?!? That's amazing! How?

I for one would switch in an instant if the consumables were free.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 3 people

Flowerpot

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi I have been using Medtronic CGM for just over 3 years and a Medtronic pump for about 6 years. I have found the accuracy of the Enlite sensors to be great and I haven't had any major issues with large discrepancies between my blood glucose and the interstitial sensor readings. I also find it very accurate at hypo levels which is lifesaving for me as I don't have any hypo awareness.

I cover my sensor and transmitter with Flexifix clear adhesive film and haven't had any issues with water getting in to any parts of it. The transmitter is waterproof so you can shower, bathe and swim with it in although the pump is not waterproof and needs to be removed. The advice is if fully immersed no deeper than 8 feet and not for longer than 30 minutes. If the pump is disconnected and the transmitter signal becomes weak or is lost, it usually finds the signal within a few minutes of reconnecting the pump and the CGM carries on as before. I wouldn't feel happy to shower etc without a waterproof adhesive covering over the sensor and transmitter but that is mainly to ensure I get the full life out of the sensor without accidentally pulling it out. Without an adhesive film covering the whole thing, the sticky tape on the sensor and transmitter can be dislodged quite easily.

I haven't tried it out in a jacuzzi but having a bath doesn't cause any issues. I'm not much use on the sporting front as I'm partially sighted and trying to walk in a straight line is about as sporty as I get. I can't see why the sensor and transmitter would be affected by sport although there is probably an issue wearing a pump in contact sports. Hope this helps. I wouldn't want to be without it. Good luck.

Reactions: 4 people