High this am?

Jessd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi
Got up this morning & bm was 3.2, had my breakfast,gave insulin for it,walked dogs, went to work, was out & about & thought i'd better check numbers- 25.9 :( great!! Not sure what all that was about, whether big rebound from low this am. I have had a cold since Friday & taking Lemsip regularly for it
Came home & changed my set,hopefully it'll come down ok, really felt rough with it

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sounds like an infusion set failure prior to your breakfast bolus. Good call changing the set. I hope all is well now.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I always use my pen to deliver a correction when bg goes sky high. Saves worrying about pump playing up and what's caused it

I can understand that, definitely. On the other hand, using the new set for the correction dose is the quickest way to prove that the new set is working properly.

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
Could be the cold taking hold too. Mines be with me for over a week and BSs have been all over the place. Not quite as high as that but it did hit 16.5 and I've been having to run a temp basal of up to 130% for a lot of the time.

Jessd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes I changed set before correction
Have to say numbers have been ok with cold,whether today was just a bad set or whatever
All back to normal now thanks

Reactions: 4 people

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people

fig

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
pleased you're feeling better now and you new set is working :)

Jessd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi
Been to clinic today, last time I went they gave me a choice to go onto Degludec, have chosen not to. Would rather stay on the pump as is good for me as pretty active
Basically today they want me to go right back to basics-basal rate testing,starting tonight.
So I've had an early tea,low carb-omelette,this was at 5pm, did a bm just now & it's 7,ok so far but obviously know that need more than 1 days good result,going to send my DSN results after 3 days, then do morning lot & afternoon
Looking like I'm going to need to do a months worth apparently & they really want me to do it properly.

Reactions: 2 people

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sounds like good advice. A good month metering and tweaking and with any luck you will get a year of plain sailing and good BGs out of your efforts.

Jessd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yea I know
Am keen on my fitness,running/cycling
Asked about this re basal testing & have been told not to do any on days of basal testing,am a bit disappointed as enjoy it,suppose just have to walk the dogs more

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
This is what I have never understood about basal testing and instructions from dsn's... To avoid doing your normal day to day things like running or exercising....

Personally I basal test doing my normal hobbies and work... Otherwise I would be sat at home doing nothing... My bg levels would be higher, I would raise the basals and then when I went to work or hobbies I'd be so low I'd be on the floor.....

I even whilst basal testing have my normal white coffees...as this is normal living for me..

To me, which hoes against nhs advice I do my normal living but without food...orherwise how the heck would I be so physical in my daily living.. Or know that my bolus's or corrections were right??

You got to do what's right for you but I fear that without your normal living whilst basal testing that you will not get balanced...

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I am with DD on this. We had this question on the pump course. One guy ran literally every day but the DSNs insisted he stop running to set his basal. Ridiculous. You should set your basal according to a typical day.

Reactions: 2 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Trouble is with exercise the day after can be troublesome with levels., so basal testing on those days may well be just as bad.

As I exercise 6/7 days in one way or another I treat the one day as not to worry about.. And certainly wouldn't basal test on that one day or nights?

I find it so odd that dsn's think that its ok to basal test without doing your natural day to day living.

I remember being diagnosed 30 years ago and ending up in hospital... They told me to go out for walks away from the hospital and to not stay in bed wtc during the day time and to go to sleep at normal times. I walked to my shop I managed and gave them a suprise.. Obviously not in a hospital gown!! So if the hospital treated me like this 30 years ago why on earth are you being told to test on exercise free days?

Jessd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes have thought it's going to be a bit of a pain,mind you still haven't quite got rid of this cold.
So am I right that I should just carry on as normal & go out on the bike or for a run & not worry about it & still do basal testing

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Personally Jess I would do normal living, but this is then you having to explain to your dsn your reasoning....