Don't need to loose weight

STEWBRU

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am Type 2 and was diagnosed October last year. I have reduced weight and now my BMI is just at the top of the normal range. If I go on low carb diet will I loose more weight? My BG readings are around 6 in the am before food and does not change that much after food. On 2000 mg Metformin. I have cut out all sugar from my diet and only the occasional glass of wine. I feel good and have very few symptoms. Some dry mouth now and then. Confused about the low carbs.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Being right at the top of 'normal' BMI may mean that you would be better off losing some more weight.
It depends on how much visceral fat you are carrying.

Low carb diets proposed here are more about good BG control than losing weight, but they can lead to weight loss as well, which shouldn't be a problem in your case.

There is another thread going on about BMI which may be worth reading.

Cheers

LGC

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
eating low carb doesnt have to be about weight loss. when someone gets to the weight they want (or that their body is most comfortable at), then there are several options
  • eat more
  • add extra carbs, not fat
  • add extra fat, not carbs
you get to choose which is most appropriate for you, your body, and your lifestyle.

STEWBRU

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for replies. That makes more sense to me now. Being new to this forum it's a little difficult to understand what's gone before. I really thought that a low carb diet was for weight loss. So it is not what you eat as long as it works for "you", Correct??

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
exactly,

personally, I prefer to low carb simply because eating bread, cakes, rice, pasta and (to a lesser extent) potato, puts my glucose levels up to high.

It isn't (for me) about the evils of sugar, yada yada, it is simply that I feel better without the carbs.

and to be brutally honest with myself, I cut the carbs down as little as possible. I know that I have eaten too many when my knees ache, my concentration deteriorates, I retain water, and my blood glucose is higher than I want. Those checks and balances allow me to eat dark chocolate, masses of veg, some fruit, meat, fish, some dairy, and some grains like barley, rye, millet, in small quantities.mmMy treats are coffee with cream, cheese, choc, home baked low carb cakes. I've been doing this for years, so I don't carb count. but I do check my blood several times a day, and if I go too high one day (because I splurge and have a sandwich, or a cake at work, or we go out for a meal), I do it in moderation and end up cutting back hard the next day, to give my body time to recover. Nowadays, I barely even have to think about it.

Ages ago, I read a book about a diabetes, written by a very successful low carber. her advice was to simple - you are going to fail. sooner or later, no matter how strict you are, how zealous you feel, whether it takes 5 days or 5 years, sooner or later you WILL fall head first into a bowl of pasta, sending your blood glucose into the stratosphere. lol. So she suggested that you invest a little time in finding out how much carbohydrate you CAN eat, and enjoy that. then, when you eventually fall into that carb-fest, you just pick yourself up and go back to an eating regime that works and that gives you food you enjoy.

Hope that helps.

Reactions: 4 people

STEWBRU

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
That's really helpful.

For me it's not so much cut out the carbs but in moderation they do not seem to raise BG too much. 6.3 before breakfast , 6.4 2 hours after. Porridge, banana and tea with small milk.
Processed sugar. Now that's a different story. A scoop of ice cream and up it will go to double figures, finger tips become like plastic with no feeling.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ages ago, I read a book about a diabetes, written by a very successful low carber. her advice was to simple - you are going to fail. sooner or later, no matter how strict you are, how zealous you feel, whether it takes 5 days or 5 years, sooner or later you WILL fall head first into a bowl of pasta, sending your blood glucose into the stratosphere. lol. So she suggested that you invest a little time in finding out how much carbohydrate you CAN eat, and enjoy that. then, when you eventually fall into that carb-fest, you just pick yourself up and go back to an eating regime that works and that gives you food you enjoy.

Hope that helps.

Was that Jenny Ruhl's book? That was possibly the best piece of diet advice I ever read.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Stew, there's also the possibility of "reversing" type 2 diabetes by dramatic weight loss, reported by Prof Roy Taylor and also referred to as the Newcastle Diet. It is not for the faint hearted! But the reported results are very good. The diet is now going into a large scale trial after the success of two small scale trials. Something you might want to consider. Though it sounds like you are already doing very well.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Low carb doesn't mean zero carb so find out what level you can take that allows you to achieve a good blood sugar level. Low-carb is mostly about blood sugar control but can help with weight loss ('it's no fat that makes you fat but the carbs). Try to get the weight down to a good BMI level and then try to hold that and the blood sugar in the right region. Eat to the meter as they say.

Reactions: 2 people