Having being told back in January that I was prediabetic [A1c was 5.9 or 41 mmol/mol]

Gardengnome

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
going to a gym
I bought myself a Codefree meter to try and see which foods would spike my blood. I'd had an NHS health check in Jan 2013 where they had focussed on hypertension and it was only months later, when I saw my medical notes online, that I realised the A1c was bumping on the upper limit of' 'normal'. My dr agreed and did it again saying that changes I'd made to diet and lifestyle for hypertension would have lowered the A1c. Unfortunately not. He told me to come back in a year and seemed convinced the numbers would rise as they hadn't reduced with all the weight I'd lost [about 3 stone] and exercise etc.

So, new to finger pricking I test first thing in the morning, then 2 hrs after my evening meal. The fasting reading today was 4.8 and 2 hrs after my evening meal it was 7.5. I don't really know how to get the best out of the meter - how often should I test and do I even need to. Are these numbers OK? I eat LCHF on the whole but am not too rigid about it. My BMI is <19.

Gardengnome

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
going to a gym
Have to say I was rather hoping that would be the case Jack but wasn't really sure. My real reason for purchasing the meter was that if another A1c showed a rise as the dr said it would I would be a sitting duck for DM. Dr seems to think I am anyway so it would be great to prove him wrong!!

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
if you keep your bloods in range you will be fine for the next A1c. If you see your BG go haywire, you can act on it and won't go for years being undiagnosed like a lot do.

Gardengnome

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
going to a gym
thanks for your advice, will act on it! And just keep my fingers xed.