First meeting with DN

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
This follows on from another thread http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/unmedicated-vs-a-little-metformin.56291.

Just had my first meeting with my DN this morning, and it went pretty well really. Headline outcome is that I continue what I'm doing, unmedicated, pending further review and discussion when I have my next bloods in 3 months. :cool:

Fairly quickly I established that the nurse was someone who was amenable to pragmatic feedback and discussion. She initially wanted my BP readings which was the only formal request made by the GP three weeks ago, so as well as handing her the handwritten form I passed over my own (longer term) data and graph. The graph shows a downward trend, yet all they do is average the lot, which on a downward trend just skews the number to higher than it is currently (more opportunity to prescribe more smarties perhaps?). She asked if I had been offered any BP drugs, or if I was interested in them, I said thanks but no thanks as I was doing fine with diet and exercise in bringing it down.

She noted that the GP had prescribed statins 3 weeks ago. I said yes he had but that I wasn't taking them. She asked why, I said I wasn't convinced by the cholesterol/heart disease relationship, and neither was I convinced about the long term (lack of) side effects issue, especially on suppression of Q10 and impact on cognitive function. She didn't pursue that.

I said I was already taking steps to improve things, notably diet and exercise. The exercise was already showing results in BP reduction, and the diet in lowering of BG levels and weight. At this point I introduced my BG numbers and obviously the fact that I had bought a meter and was testing. No argument there, in fact at this point she suggested herself that I carry on doing the same things and we'll see what the next blood tests show. Fine by me I said. She then (maybe felt she had to) introduced the 'carbs with every meal' line. The conversation then went:

Me: I don't really understand that, because as far as I'm concerned it's the carbs (bread etc) that have got me into this situation, and my BG testing has demonstrated that the carbs spike my levels. For me, carb might as well say sugar.

She was nodding and even smiling at this, and then said: My take on this is that, however many carbs you are eating, make sure you distribute them as evenly as you can across all your meals rather than have them all in one lump. That is good advice, and I thought it was interesting that she said that rather than push the 'healthy plate'. She volunteered that she had another T2 patient who was doing hardcore Atkins, and 'he is doing fine'.

She then weighed me and checked my feet for circulation and sensitivity (no problems) and said I would be booked in for a retinal exam to start their annual sequence to check for any issues there.

She asked if the GP had wanted to prescribe any medication for the diabetes. I said no, and took the opportunity to say that I was unhappy with his manner when I was diagnosed (You've got diabetes, this is life changing (that was OK), get yourself a BP meter and fill in this form, here's a prescription for statins, make an appointment to see the nurse, thank you and goodbye). We agreed (again) for me to carry on doing what I was doing until the next 3 month review. She said I can see any GP in the practice I like in future.

We had a laugh about erectile dysfunction (now you're diabetic, if you need them any pills are free, so that's a bonus!).

I asked to see details of my 2008 blood tests - apparently fasting BG around 6.5, HbA1c 45, total cholesterol 5.9. She thought that had that been now, I would have been notified as pre-diabetic.

She phoned later to tell me a couple of things she forgot at the time - I need to do a 'baseline' ECG and have a urine test (can do that just before my next review).

I'll ask to see her in future!

(At this point I'd like to thank this forum for the education over the last 3 weeks, I would not have been able to pre-arm myself otherwise.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 8 people

Gudrun

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hmmm.. probably a lot less than stuff I like
Sounds like it has gone totally in your favour with a DN who was willing to listen to you (and even agree) rather than follow the NHS guidelines.

I agree.. without the superb teaching we have gotten on this forum we would approach DNs and GPs meekly rather than well informed and strong.

Well done, Sanguine. I am going to see my dietitian in 2 weeks (who told me to follow the Eat Well plate). Will be interesting to see her reaction when I tell her that I didn't follow her advice and my BS went down (just because I didn't).

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done Rod. Good to see you have a reasonable nurse. Keep up the good work. My own results are due tomorrow.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done to both you and the nurse. I haven't seen mine since my initial appointment which must have taken about an hour. She did give me a pneumonia jab (I'd already had my flu one as per leaflet from Dr), do foot tests and arrange for my eye test, but I think in some areas she's a bit clueless - e.g. don 't eat sugar, but you can eat raisins instead.... :eek:

And I think that the suggestion to eat your carbohydrates with every meal is actually a good idea, and is something I try do myself in the belief that I'm spreading the load and hopefully avoiding heavy spikes in my glucose levels.

Robbity

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Well done to both you and the nurse. I haven't seen mine since my initial appointment which must have taken about an hour. She did give me a pneumonia jab (I'd already had my flu one as per leaflet from Dr), do foot tests and arrange for my eye test, but I think in some areas she's a bit clueless - e.g. don 't eat sugar, but you can eat raisins instead.... :eek:

And I think that the suggestion to eat your carbohydrates with every meal is actually a good idea, and is something I try do myself in the belief that I'm spreading the load and hopefully avoiding heavy spikes in my glucose levels.

Robbity
Do you eat low GI? Just can't get my head around this eat carbs with every meal melarky? Why bother with rice, pasta, potatoes and bread when you can get your energy from fat which doesn't raise bs? I get my carbs from green veg, Puy lentils and beans- they don't spike me. Odd how we all react to different things!

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Scandi, I didn't mention to the nurse that I was doing LCHF, just that I had 'significantly reduced' my carb intake. In that context I think she was just saying that for those who did still eat some carbs and maybe hadn't ascertained what spiked them and what didn't, then 'spreading the load evenly' was a reasonable approach. But as you say we all react differently and sometimes surprisingly. So best to test, then we each know what works for us, and hopefully don't get surprised or disappointed by the next HbA1c.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Do you eat low GI? Just can't get my head around this eat carbs with every meal melarky? Why bother with rice, pasta, potatoes and bread when you can get your energy from fat which doesn't raise bs? I get my carbs from green veg, Puy lentils and beans- they don't spike me. Odd how we all react to different things!

Hi Folks
20+ years ago, following an accident that disabled me for life, and the immobility that followed the accident contributed to massive weight gain, I was advised to have at least half of my plate at each meal as carbohydrate. I believe this was a contributory factor to my T2 diabetes, which was diagnosed 12 years after the start of the 'healthy' high carb diet. I didn't lose weight until I reduced the carbs to a minimal amount. Started with the Newcastle diet, which brought blood glucose under control to such an extent that my diabetes has been in remission for 2 years. Now maintain by low carb diet. Get most carbs from non starchy veg, and beans or pulses. Only have small, very small portions of pasta or rice once or twice a week, and use sweet potatoes instead of spuds.

The important thing for each of us is to find something that works right for each individual is different. Sometimes the support and advice from medical professionals is the standard script to NHS guidelines. One size does not fit us all, so it is great if you can get a nurse or GP that takes the time listen and support the individual.

Be well

Pipp

Reactions: 4 people

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

No I'm doing a low carb diet. I haven't touched any starchy carbs since January, and my carbs come mostly from veggies and a bit of fruit.. I like to spread these if possible so that I eat a few with each meal and (hopefully) don't eat more than I can cope with at one time. That's my theory anyway!! :p And I've probably always eaten that way, having a bit of fruit, veggies, or salad with most meals.

Robbity

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
No I'm doing a low carb diet. I haven't touched any starchy carbs since January, and my carbs come mostly from veggies and a bit of fruit.. I like to spread these if possible so that I eat a few with each meal and (hopefully) don't eat more than I can cope with at one time. That's my theory anyway!! :p And I've probably always eaten that way, having a bit of fruit, veggies, or salad with most meals.

Robbity
With me it depends. Quite.often mine are just my evening meal when I have green veggies or Puy lentils. Have limited fruit. Worried about next hba1c as had cold for nearly a week and worried that it is now becoming chest infection. Won't be able to get doc appointment till next week. Really can't afford to have any more time off work.

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Get well soon Scandi - I would ring the out-of-hours service if you think it's getting worse.