I'm a caretaker trying to figure out what foods are good and not good for diabetics

megalina

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
I am taking care of my mother in law- I have moved in with her due to not finding anyone suitable after hiring several times. My mother in law is 87 and overweight for her size of 5'6 she is about 180 I think. Problem is her ability to be active is decreased by having 3 strokes. This makes keeping her sugar levels lower harder because she can't work the food she takes in off like other people do with exercise. I am a healthy younger person who has had no weight issues. So all this carb counting calorie intake counting and starchy food being just like sugar has me very confused. To me it looks like she does try to eat healthy for the most part but her blood sugar levels still go way way up. Her dr said high levels are not of concern only worry about lower levels for her age. That seems odd for her to say that as I logically have common sense to know high sugar levels are very bad on the body. Perhaps she meant because she is 87 and therefore not going to last longer anyway - I don't know. It sounded contrary to all I've ever heard or read on this disease. I wonder if the medications just are not working for her anymore also. I know blood sugar rises after eating but close to 300 is scary for me to see her get all sleepy like and not be able to keep her eyes open very long. I call dr she tells me its ok just watch the level to see if it goes down in an hour. Or she tells me its caused by her stroke. I don't think these meds are doing much if anything to help lower her levels. Its kind of common sense to think anything you take your body will build a tolerance to it and it may be less effective over time. Is this just too logical of thinking for this condition?

For example her blood sugar was 128 upon waking up - I gave her the meds which one requires her to wait 1/2 hr before eating - she has oatmeal not quick oats and puts flax seed in with it plus walnuts, blueberries and bannana on top oh and a bit of almond milk. 45 min later she is only part way done eating and her sugar shot up to 226 she is fallen asleep. is that normal? Her dr says only worry if it drops below 80 ...........

that sounds like a healthy breakfast to me she adds no sugar only those listed ingredients - is it related to portion size ??? I don't get it can someone clue me in?

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

mine

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
in very old people they could not digest well, hence illness cured.

C

catherinecherub

Hi megalina and welcome.

You obviously care very much for your mother in law and want the best for her and I congratulate you for moving in and looking after her..
Is she on any medication for her heart? Some of these including beta-blockers can raise blood sugars as can steroids and antidepressants. It might be worth listing her meds here.

The basic information that has been given to you already is a good starting point.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/basic-information-for-newly-diagnosed-diabetics.26870/

Try and work out how many carbohydrates she consumes during the day. Some of us can manage quite well on up to 150 whereas others find it impossible to go over 50. There is an individual response to carbohydrates. and you will see on the forum that some foods are acceptable for some and others have their own list of their tolerances.

She may have been given a diet sheet from the Cardiologist which may not match her diabetic needs and so a compromise has to be found.

This article might help you understand the response from her Dr.

http://newoldage.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/04/26/diabetes-advice-for-the-elderly-relax/?_r=0

Whilst I understand that her movements and activity are limited, can she do any armchair exercise? This might help and make sure her fluids are kept up. Plain water is very good for diabetics and can help keep blood sugars lower.

I wish I could be of more help but it is difficult without knowing her medications.

Take care,

CC.