confused

mikeill

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just diagnosed as prediabetic. Fasting BG was 7.5 then 2 hours after glucose drink it was 11. That was a week ago. Bought a home meter and have been testing regularly, my fasting glucose has never been more than 5.8 or lower than 4.8 and 2 hours after meals is very similar always around 5.8 or less. Could the hospital have made such a mistake? or is it my meter? I do not suffer from any symptoms of diabetes yet.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi and welcome, meters have a +/- 20% error rate and you should only take the lab results for diagnosis
you can get a sugar solution/calibration fluid to check your meter

mikeill

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome, meters have a +/- 20% error rate and you should only take the lab results for diagnosis
Thanks for the advice! I did calibrate the meter with that small bottle of fluid that came with the meter but noted that the range was stated to be 7.4 -9.9. On the test it came up as 9.0 so I guess as it was in the range the meter is calibrated ok. I understand that the lab diagnosis should be more accurate but such a difference worried me (difference was quite significant and at best 30% higher than my meter readings)
Thanks for your advice.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Sounds like you are only marginally pre-diabetic which is good news for you. I would just test occasionally 2 hours after a typical meal and look for any upward trend. Don't worry too much about fasting readings as these can be affected by overnight glucose dumps by the liver. If you aren't already doing so just keep the carbs down which will help control blood sugar. Based on test solution for my two meters, it looks like they are both +/- 15% accuracy

A

AnnieC

Hi I am prediabetic and my fasting bloods were 6.9 first test and 6.8 second one two weeks later, GP said that is very borderline T2. I bought a meter to test my BS at home and my readings vary between low 5's before a meal and mostly in the 6's 2 hours after.I don't test at every meal though.I have cut out the things that raise BS the most lke rice pasta root vegetables..except celariac....and bananas and grapes