The slower the loss

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Why is it that "the slower the weight loss the most likely someone is to keep the weight off"??

I can't figure this out?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Yes but, so often so may people write the slower you lose weight the more likely you are to keep it off?? Why??

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Because you are dieting gently. Diets that give you lots of weight loss quickly are not normally sustainable. So when you hit your target weight the maintenance diet is harder and you put the weight back on again. Diets that make you lose weight slowly are much more sustainable because they tend to be less severe and therefore easier to keep up , and once target is reached the maintenance diet is easy peasy. Apparently. ;)

Reactions: 7 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Follow up studies consistently (sorry, can't face googling the links at this time of night) show that diets are usually only 10% effective. If I recall correctly, that means that within 2 years, 90% of dieters have regained the weight (and poss more) within 2 years in a rebound kind of thing. Crash diets have a lower success rate.

The most effective way of keeping the weight of is to lose slowly, fooling your body into not noticing that you are dieting. Even better, is to make permanent lifestyle changes that mean your body uses more energy than you eat.

Another good chance of losing the weight is to diet in stages, 10% of body weight at a time with stabilising plateaus of approx 6 months in between.

Reactions: 7 people

popsy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Crowds of people, my idea of hell would be a huge gathering of any sort!

Heights, scare me to death!
Liars, cheats. poseurs, any kind of violence, thieves and people who take advantage of others.

The way the world is going to hell in a handbasket.

Global warming, the melting ice caps, whaling..I mean what for?!

Cruelty

Having to give up my eat everything philosophy..and I really really dislike consequences.
Follow up studies consistently (sorry, can't face googling the links at this time of night) show that diets are usually only 10% effective. If I recall correctly, that means that within 2 years, 90% of dieters have regained the weight (and poss more) within 2 years in a rebound kind of thing. Crash diets have a lower success rate.

The most effective way of keeping the weight of is to lose slowly, fooling your body into not noticing that you are dieting. Even better, is to make permanent lifestyle changes that mean your body uses more energy than you eat.

Another good chance of losing the weight is to diet in stages, 10% of body weight at a time with stabilising plateaus of approx 6 months in between.

Ah hah! Now that makes sense. It has taken me 5 years to lose about 30kgs. Each time I have lost weight it has gone up and down and up and down then stabilised at down and off I go again but always downwards. I read sometimes about people losing huge amounts quickly and think I don't do that but I really do think that my body has time to get used to being a bit smaller so although it has taken a long time to lose this weight, it feels normal each time I start on the next stage.

I do believe though that it's of paramount importance to lose weight in the way that's comfortable for you. Someone else's method may not work. All trial and error.

Brunneria: When it's not so late I would be glad of a look at those studies if you can find the link. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 3 people

annelise

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unfriendly and bigotted persons; i.e. persons who do not have an open or enquiring mind - but all within reason - persons may have a reason to appear as such - we will never know their backgrounds or where they come from ...
I totally agree with former posters - slow and steady will do it. - I lost 15 kg some years ago and have been watching it ever since - and you need to watch it! - and then take care that you are not into the yo-yo rhythm - going down and then up again.

annelise

Reactions: 2 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This link gives a good overview:
http://www.fatnutritionist.com/index.php/why-diets-dont-work/
I find the comments at the bottom of the page particularly poignant.

http://www.cracked.com/quick-fixes/fat-officially-incurable-according-to-science/
A humorous article that is, in my experience very accurate

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/74/5/579.full

There is some evidence that yo yo dieting (which I did for years) is worse for you than staying fat, eating well and being reasonably fit (all of which I currently do). In my dieting days I used to average 1/2 stone of weight gain a year.

I'm fat and a darn sight happier now that when I had this mythic slim Me waiting just around the corner.
I have also promised myself that I will NEVER inflict another low fat, restricted calorie, portion control diet on body EVER AGAIN. The sense of relief when I made that promise had me in tears.

By eating low carb and keeping my blood glucose under reasonable control, I do not put on weight. If I lower the carbs a wee bit more, I may lose the odd pound here and there. I do not look for it, but I do enjoy it when it happens.

And it is worth bearing in mind that after spending my entire adult life carrying significant amount of excess weight, getting slim would deflate me like a sagging water balloon. Lovely thought, eh?

Edited for typo

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 6 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Makes sense that if you lose weight slowly it allows time for the body to adapt.

Reactions: 2 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I so wish that people didn't do "diets" as such.. If just one of them worked permanently there wouldn't be all these ducan, 5:2, weightwatchers, slimmers/slimming world diets let alone the fad that my sister in law went on buying in her special foods to lose weight...and then within a year had put it all back on plus a stone. Think that LCHF because of its liveable permanency of being able to do it ought to just have "lifestyle" or "living" put after it so that everyone not just diabetics can see that it is a permanent solution and not a "diet".

Reactions: 6 people