Uncanny likeness to a drumstick lollipop

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Oh for the love of God! Spent 5 hours outside with the kids walking around the local forest and eating a picnic. At 10:30am it was sunny but chilly (10 degrees) . I have just got undressed and notice that all of my face, chest and arms are so red I could be mistaken for a drumstick - much to my husbands amusement. Apparently I did need sun cream!
image.jpg

Reactions: 9 people

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
images
hope the kids are ok ( I know they are ), coincidentally I think I just heard that some people are over protecting their children's skin with a to high sun cream factor.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I believe I heard that the incidence of Rickets has risen due to the overuse of high factor sun cream.

Fallgal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Because I'm very fair, I've always worn high factor sunscreen, big sunglasses and often hats. Before I moved to England, I was never one for the beach (now I love it), sun, heat, etc. I've now had skin cancer three times/three surgeries, two of them in the last 6 months. I guess there really is something to be said for overdoing it. :(

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The problem with using high factor sun cream too much is that it stops us from getting vitamin D from the sun. I have read that Vitamin D helps protect us from, amongst other things,........skin cancer.

Fallgal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My brother had skin cancer as well, as did my father. I'm going to call up my mom and yell at her for constantly telling us to put on sunscreen. LOL (I'm only kidding about yelling at her. She did what she thought was right at the time!)

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
I'm very irritating, i just go brown without any suncream, even in florida i only wear the sun cream for a day or so to get me used to the sun, but over here never have to.

my brother has just had he's second skin cancer removed, he used to fit windscreens onto cars for 15 years so id put it down to that, he never wore sun cream so its hard to know which way to go, i know my missus makes my kids bathe in sun cream if they are just passing a window in the house where the curtains are open, much to their displeasure

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
when i read the title i thought for a second you had found something that tasted like drum stick lollies (which i loved) :(

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Isn't it oh so hard to get the balance right? Obviously you don't want burnt skin, so you use sunscreen. That's got to be sensible, but getting the balance right....that's so difficult to do. Thankfully I don't like sunbathing at all, so I only really need to use it when out on long walks in the sun....and like Scandi I sometimes forget. The lobster look doesn't really look good on me either!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I saw a kid in a push chair yesterday - white blond hair, very fair skin. Bawling his eyes out. His parents had left him sitting beside their picnic table, in the full sun, in a pub garden. He was as red as a lobster, and distressed. Very distressed. I'll bet he feels even worse today.

Poor wee niblet.

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
I saw a kid in a push chair yesterday - white blond hair, very fair skin. Bawling his eyes out. His parents had left him sitting beside their picnic table, in the full sun, in a pub garden. He was as red as a lobster, and distressed. Very distressed. I'll bet he feels even worse today.

Poor wee niblet.

Oh no!:( Poor kid!

tomvonc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anyone who asks a question about diabetes without thinking what they're asking.
I'm really annoying, I'm usually brown after that little sunny spell we get in April/May all the way through til October ;-)

Tom

Reactions: 2 people

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
I'm the same Tom-I never burn either and brown really easy too but I do have the advantage of some Mediterranean blood in me.;)

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Totally unfair. Chest still bright red!
Not unlike this....
image.jpg

popsy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Crowds of people, my idea of hell would be a huge gathering of any sort!

Heights, scare me to death!
Liars, cheats. poseurs, any kind of violence, thieves and people who take advantage of others.

The way the world is going to hell in a handbasket.

Global warming, the melting ice caps, whaling..I mean what for?!

Cruelty

Having to give up my eat everything philosophy..and I really really dislike consequences.
Blah....I go red then peel. I don't remember ever being brown even if I do all I'm supposed to do with the sunscreen. I do remember when I was a kid on the annual holiday in a caravan, being sat on the table in the caravan and having huge blisters on my shoulders popped by my Mum with a sterilised needle. Was probably pre-sunscreen days that or they just didn't give a ****! :eek:

popsy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Crowds of people, my idea of hell would be a huge gathering of any sort!

Heights, scare me to death!
Liars, cheats. poseurs, any kind of violence, thieves and people who take advantage of others.

The way the world is going to hell in a handbasket.

Global warming, the melting ice caps, whaling..I mean what for?!

Cruelty

Having to give up my eat everything philosophy..and I really really dislike consequences.
Poor Scandi, hope you are ok, it's horrible that tight sore feeling and forget showers! Ouchy! :arghh:

Reactions: 2 people

tomvonc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anyone who asks a question about diabetes without thinking what they're asking.
I'm the same Tom-I never burn either and brown really easy too but I do have the advantage of some Mediterranean blood in me.;)
I'm half Scottish and half German! Go figure that out if you can. I should burn under a 40w lightbulb :-/

Tom

Reactions: 4 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh dear Scandi, I hope it gets better soon. It's really not nice at all is it?