Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Dogs and particularly cats should not be getting carbs. It's shocking that we see diabetic dogs and cats now. What do we expect, feeding carbs to a predator? Dogs might tolerate some carbs but cats don't tolerate any. Decades of pet food manufacturers trying to persuade cats to eat carbs to boost their profits. I think it's disgusting.

But it doesn't have a great bearing on diabetes in humans or the treatment of diabetes in humans. It's interesting but not conclusive.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

The trouble is vets encourage owners to feed their pets dry food, one reason being it promotes good dental health in the animal.

Before the dried food became common place we always fed our dogs Winalot or Pedigree Chum, if you look at the nutritional information you will see that one of the main ingredients is cereals, still probably a lot less than in the dried kibble food but they do contain carbs nonetheless.

We feed our dog dried food and have done since we got him, he's as fit as a fiddle (or a butchers dog;)) and is never ill.

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You should obtain 2 books, not directly related to diabetes, but related to the science of low carb eating. Both are by Phinney and Volek. The Art and Science of Low Carb Living and the Art and Science of Low Carb Performance. They are both doctors / scientists, I haven't got the performance one but it is to do with endurance sport. They have done a lot of work with a professional cycling team in the US, looking at maximising performance while 'low carb-ing'. The one just on living goes right into the science and convinced me that a low carb diet was a healthy alternative for life. I am not t1 - I was just pre-diabetic, (now fit and healthy, on Atkins dietfor life) so not a comparison, but there might be some tips to help you combine a low carb diet with an exercise schedule.

I keep meaning to read that book, but haven't round to it yet, I've had several people recomend it

Donna1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
My nurse feels i should be well out my honeymoon period but im not! I still only need 3/4 units at breakfast n maybe 6 at dinner! I was diagnosed last june so nearly a year im still on similar amounts i was when diagnosed! Ive been slightly carb counting ratio 1:10 but found i was having hypos so have had to cut the ratio!

Reactions: 2 people

Omar101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance, laziness.
My nurse feels i should be well out my honeymoon period but im not! I still only need 3/4 units at breakfast n maybe 6 at dinner! I was diagnosed last june so nearly a year im still on similar amounts i was when diagnosed! Ive been slightly carb counting ratio 1:10 but found i was having hypos so have had to cut the ratio!

What amount of carbs are you having at bf and dinner?

I'm the same with insulin units but for me it has more to do with my diet/lifestyle, I've done a lot to increase my insulin sensitivity and its culminated in low insulin requirements. If I have 40 carbs at bf I only need about 3 units and at dinner slightly more.

I had been needing large amounts of insulin in the past so I'm sure I'm not in a honeymoon period.

diabeticdancer

I'm hoping the activity I do will keep my insulin sensitivity up. I'm currently on 0.1 basal and 1:15 ratio of bolus on pump. This has managed to keep my numbers below 8.5 for a week and I have only had one hype because I done a split bolus when I wasn't supposed to.

How do you know when honeymoon period is over? I don't want mine to end...

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm hoping the activity I do will keep my insulin sensitivity up. I'm currently on 0.1 basal and 1:15 ratio of bolus on pump. This has managed to keep my numbers below 8.5 for a week and I have only had one hype because I done a split bolus when I wasn't supposed to.

How do you know when honeymoon period is over? I don't want mine to end...

You are doing awesomely well. The honeymoon is over when you start seeing unexpected highs all the time and need to increase your basal and your ratios.

To prolong the honeymoon, experiment with giving very slightly more basal and bolus. If your blood sugar drops, revert. But it is possible it won't drop, in which case you are resting the beta cells.

Omar101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance, laziness.
I remember hearing some speculation on n-3 fatty acids prolonging pancreas function in T1's, How relevant or true it is I don't know. I did see a large increase in insulin sensitivity when I cut saturated fat intake and replaced it with unsaturated fats including n-3's however.

Some quick searches gave this:

http://scielo.isciii.es/pdf/nh/v24n2/revision1.pdf
http://www.nutraingredients.com/Res...1-diabetics-keep-producing-insulin-for-longer
http://diabetes.diabetesjournals.org/content/56/4/1034.full