Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
interesting my test with codefree against accucheck came out like this
Accu Code
7.1 6.5
5.6 5.8
4.9 5.0
7.4 7.5

so pretty good correlation on a small sample size and I tend to believe the code free one more (for the first number) as I always had trouble with strip failures on the accucheck

Gudrun

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hmmm.. probably a lot less than stuff I like
I'm just reading through the user instruction guide that came with the Codefree meter. It mentions in there that we are to use the lancet only once. Is that really important? I never bothered to change the lancet with the AccuChek and used it for over a year.

It is obviously only my blood that gets tested, so I don't think I want to go through the trouble of changing the lancet every day - Or do I have to???

this is too difficult

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes
I use a new one every time. If not you are sticking something in yourself that has been lying with traces of blood on it allowing bacteria to grow.
If I make a mess of a test or repeat immediately I use the same lancet.

rick28a

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am using the Accuchek Nano, it is small and handy and codefree. I can copy my data with the free usb device from Roche.

tomvonc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anyone who asks a question about diabetes without thinking what they're asking.
I've tried out 7 different meters in the 3 months I've been diabetic! Accuracy wise, there isn't much in it (Apart from the Glucomen LX Plus the hospital gave me which consistantly reads 20% low!). IMHO, the best meter is the one you find easiest to use and most convinient. For me, I have settled on the Contour Next USB. Small, intuative interface, small blood sample size (and the ability to add more mid test), excellent battery life, able to log carbs and insulin, and good management software. I also have an iBG*Star which I use without the iPhone. Pop on a silicon skin, slip 3-4 strips and a single delica lancet under the skin, and I have a keyring BG testing solution which is always with me! Hope this helps.

Tom

Edit: Just noticed you're self funding, in which case strip cost is probably the most important factor.

Gudrun

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Edit: Just noticed you're self funding, in which case strip cost is probably the most important factor.

thanks, Tom. Yes, the cost is really the deciding factor in my choice. I have nearly 50 strips of AccuChek left and test my fasting BS in the morning with both AccuChek and Codefree. So far the Codefree is a little lower (e.g. 5.0 on AccuChek this morning, 4.7 on Codefree). But it's like weight... as long as you can see it going down, it doesn't really matter what the number say (as long as they are at an acceptable level).

tomvonc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anyone who asks a question about diabetes without thinking what they're asking.
thanks, Tom. Yes, the cost is really the deciding factor in my choice. I have nearly 50 strips of AccuChek left and test my fasting BS in the morning with both AccuChek and Codefree. So far the Codefree is a little lower (e.g. 5.0 on AccuChek this morning, 4.7 on Codefree). But it's like weight... as long as you can see it going down, it doesn't really matter what the number say (as long as they are at an acceptable level).

Consistency is more important to me than absolute accuracy. For example, if I'm at say 4.2 on MY meter and I know I still have insulin on board, I need to eat something. YOUR meter may say something different, but that doesn't matter I know how MY meter equates to the way I feel and to what's going on in my body, and I can rely on it.

Tom

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

Gudrun

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Consistency is more important to me than absolute accuracy. For example, if I'm at say 4.2 on MY meter and I know I still have insulin on board, I need to eat something. YOUR meter may say something different, but that doesn't matter I know how MY meter equates to the way I feel, and I can rely on it.

Tom

You are absolutely right, Tom. We have to measure our progress on OUR meters, not someone elses.