Need a diabetic bump buddy 29+2

K8tie_x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm 29+2 with my second baby just wondering if there's any of you roughly the same position thereabouts who wants someone to chat with. Feeling like I need a diabetic buddy to chat with as nobody else really knows what we are going through unless they're in the same position feel like all I say is going over their non diabetic heads lol

Im 26, I've been diabetic type 1 23 years, on a pump for 2 months ish x

Reactions: 2 people

kt78

Hi K8tie! I am only 15 weeks today with my first, so not ideal! But I have been t1 since I was 6 and am 36 now and been on a pump for about 3 years now. I could share my pump knowledge and you could swap preg/baby tips? Plus, we both have a great name in common! ;)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

pump69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi,

I am on a pump - have been for a year now. Currently pregnant - 28 weeks with my 1st baby. managing variably so far. HBA1C 6.7 initially & around 5 now but I think it's the pregnancy pushing it down, not better control! I had a scan at 24 weeks & baby was on the 52nd centile. Next scan tomorrow so will see how that goes. Blood sugar control variable.......... Fasting levels seem ok but still getting some above 10 spikes post meals. Have doubled my bolus ratios which has made a big help!

How are you getting on?

Susan.

K8tie_x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Wow 5 is amazing!! I'm 6.3 now and that's been so hard to reach so well done I honestly don't know how I could get any lower without lots of hypos or cutting out carbs altogether. I keep trying to think about reducing carbs but finding it so hard when craving carby foods and feeling sickly and hypo even when I'm not :(
Im sure your scan will be good tomorrow I've got one a week on Weds when ill be 32+1 hope he's behaving and not well off the chart, fingers crossed.

Do you check 1/2 hourly after meals? My drs don't really ask for these levels so I tend not to focus on these rather pre meal readings. However I am conscious of breakfast being really bad for my levels so try to skip that completely and wait while dinner but then I end up snacking all afternoon and end up hypo as I'm constantly nibbling but I feel like all those first trimester dizzy and sick symptoms have come back and food is the only thing that helps... Not good!

I'm 31 weeks tomorrow and feeling really pregnant today I feel like walking has all of a sudden turned into a waddle lol

pump69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I do loads of sugar checks!! It just doesnt seem to be that predictable - I can eat the same thing on 2 days & have differing spikes. But not all the time! I think 1/2 an hour after a meal is useless personally. I tend to check at 1 hour after eating - for me this would be my highest point. I correct it if its above 8ish using my correction ratio (despite the pump disagreeing as it tells me I still have active insulin). I will almost always need something else to eat though - typically at hour 3 after eating, to prevent a hypo. My successes so far have been burgen bread based!! I have 1 slice with peanut butter for breakfast & at lunch I have 2 slices toasted - with either cottage cheese on top or mashed up avocado & a green salad. I find it more difficult to reduce the carbs at dinner time though! I also find that delivering the insulin 15-25 minutes pre meals helps with the spikes. It's very difficult!!

K8tie_x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry I meant 1 or 2 hourly after means not half hourly. With my first the recommendation was 1 hourly but I tend to leave it till 2 and like you even at 2 hours if I'm in target I'm hypo at 3/4 hours. My hypo awareness isn't always there either which is scary I try and drive as little as possible if I can help it.
I've had inconsistencies too with what happens I was asking the drs about this and they said its hard to tell as we don't know how active the baby is or what exactly baby is taking from you that may account for the random hypos. I am always stable and in range overnight but had it creeping up overnight last night even with a correction so going to see what happens tonight.
Good luck with your growth scan tomorrow let me know how you get on if you want to email or add me on Facebook let me know would be nice to have a fellow diabetic pregnant buddy to chat with :)

Moaney

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi I'm just being nosey.....but how many more scans after week 22 do u get?! Have u both been told u'll get induced early?! :eek: I'm trying to work out when u shld put in for mat leave, hoping to last as long as possible! x x

K8tie_x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had a scan at 20 weeks then my first growth scan at 28 weeks. I've got 4 weekly scans booked so 32 weeks and 36 weeks but if they think ill need closer monitoring they'll do fortnightly scans but the guidelines say monthly growth scans is sufficient. The aim generally is to get to 38 weeks but I ended up having my daughter at 37 weeks due to size so hoping to get closer to 38 this time. When are you hoping to start your maternity Moaney? I'm not sure what the policies on maternity leave are now but if I was you I'd check what happens within your workplace if you have your baby earlier than you expected which they may just automatically start your maternity early or you might be able to use holiday days to take you upto your official maternity start date. In which case it doesn't matter if you tell them you want to start maternity at 38 weeks really, the thought of working up until 38 weeks though us a very scary thought but suppose it depends what type if work you are in x

samtov

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Really interesting to read your posts. I am 22 + 2 and my hbac1 is 5.7 I am not using a pump. The only reason it is so good is because I hypo a lot. I spike around 10 and then it slowly drops leading to a hypo. Spoke to doctor about this and he didn't seem particularly worried. Just told me eat more. I don't really worry too much about the hypos it's more the spiking that worries me, but if I raise my insulin anymore my hypos will be worse. I thought I would have to start injecting a lot more round this time but my body doesn't seem to need it as yet. Hope all your growth scans go well : ) x

Moaney

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I'm a bank teller so not a difficult job, but still stressful at times. I can go off any time from 28 weeks just means I'd go back earlier which I don't want, I want to work as much as I can leading up to it. I was just wondering if 38 weeks is a definite. I'm finishing up at 36 weeks if so. If I manage that is. I am off today as I was getting ready for work I stood up and a lot of fluid just trickled down my leg. Clear but sticky. Is this normal?! I called NHS & they want me to wear a pad and monitor it. I've had such a fright!! :eek: Has this happened to any of u?!

K8tie_x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Samtov Your hba1c is brilliant at 5.7 well done I don't think they are even bothered about doing another hba1c with me I go fortnightly and they look at my readings and adjust anything that needs changing. I found the first increase happened around 24 weeks my main changes where I need more though are during the night and around breakfast time. I'm 31 weeks and these past few nights have crept up overnight more than 4mmols so I've just put my overnight basal rates up again to try and get them constant. With my first I ended up on a 7:1 ratio at breakfast time but the rest of the day stayed around 2:1 so I'm trying to just avoid any carbs before lunchtime to avoid that major spike in a morning. Like you though if I have a carby meal if I'm near enough in target post meal I'm always hypo 3-4 hours after so I'm trying to just not eat as many carbs but it's so difficult when that's the only thing that stops me feeling dizzy and sickly. Fingers crossed that will subside soon.

Moaney- the exact same thing happened to me at 24 weeks I had this gappen teice in the space of 15 minutes, then generally I get this weekly, never had it with my first though so I rang the hospital and they asked me to go straight in. They had me lay on the bed for an hour then examined me to see if waters were leaking as get would have pooled round my cervix. Luckily they weren't but she said (sorry I know too much information) that there was alot of watery discharge which is common at that stage in pregnancy. I didn't know whether it was clear the first time but the following times I've known it's been white as been wearing black underwear. Supposedly it's a build up and things can trigger it to come away all at once such as temperature changes can't remember what else they said. I know it's disgusting but she said you will know if it's your waters as its got a very distinct smell of semen! Hope it stops for you anyhow and all is ok x

Moaney

Type of diabetes
Type 1
It hasn't happened again all day. I don't have a sense of smell & I was alone so unfortunately I cldn't tell them what it smelt like. :eek: I haven't had any pain I was just so worried. Baby has hardly moved all day and now she is tossing and turning. I can't help think is it because fluid is leaking?! God I'm such a worrier. They didn't ask me to go in just to keep an eye on it. Pregnancy is so stressful when it's ur first I think, I don't know what to expect as I get further into it so any little thing that feels different, I get paranoid and worry!! Can't wait till she's here!! x x

kt78

If you're on a pump one thing you can do to avoid post meal highs is a 'super bolus', you basically add some of your next hours basal dose to your bolus and then reduce your basal over the next hour or two so you are taking the same amount of insulin in total over say 2 hours but you are taking more of it before you eat. Hope that makes sense (!?)
Another, maybe easier to work out way, is to increase your basal for an hour when you start eating then reduce it by the same amount the next hour to avoid a low. Who knew pregnancy involved so much maths?!

aditi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm 29+2 with my second baby just wondering if there's any of you roughly the same position thereabouts who wants someone to chat with. Feeling like I need a diabetic buddy to chat with as nobody else really knows what we are going through unless they're in the same position feel like all I say is going over their non diabetic heads lol

Im 26, I've been diabetic type 1 23 years, on a pump for 2 months ish x
Hi there!

I completely get what you mean! and sometimes when things start to take a toll on me.. i just randomly browse for happy diabetic mother stories! (something to keep me going!) I am 26 weeks now.. and the road is getting tougher.. with my requirements increasing! would be very glad to chat with you and help myself in the process too! thanks a bunch! I am a type 1 diabetic for 14 years now.. and am 25.. its my first pregnancy.. hoping and praying all goes well!

aditi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I do loads of sugar checks!! It just doesnt seem to be that predictable - I can eat the same thing on 2 days & have differing spikes. But not all the time! I think 1/2 an hour after a meal is useless personally. I tend to check at 1 hour after eating - for me this would be my highest point. I correct it if its above 8ish using my correction ratio (despite the pump disagreeing as it tells me I still have active insulin). I will almost always need something else to eat though - typically at hour 3 after eating, to prevent a hypo. My successes so far have been burgen bread based!! I have 1 slice with peanut butter for breakfast & at lunch I have 2 slices toasted - with either cottage cheese on top or mashed up avocado & a green salad. I find it more difficult to reduce the carbs at dinner time though! I also find that delivering the insulin 15-25 minutes pre meals helps with the spikes. It's very difficult!!

From what my doc tells me.. that HBa1c is not really the criteria in pregnancy as the blood volumes increase and haemoglobin is on the lower side. Also I believe checking after 2 hours post 22 weeks makes sense as that gives you a fair idea of your sugars.. in the initial trimesters you need to be more careful to a void hypos.. i am checking about 8 times a day.. but sick of taking 2 am and 6 am readings.. it just spoils my sleep! only hope it all goes off well! i am 26 weeks now.

K8tie_x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's hard not having anyone who 100% knows what a diabetic pregnancy is like isn't it, or to be on hand to have a rant or ask their advice. I'm realllly feeling it at the moment. I'm 33+5 now going for weekly growth and artery Doppler scans as at 32 weeks baby just shot off the abdominal circumference graph. They're aiming to get me to 37 weeks now but taking it weekly as to what the scans show :s those last months are tough as your insulin requirements do just shoot through the roof and it seems to get worse and worse (sorry to tell you this just be prepared). I have found that eating any breakfast is a no no for me at the minute I seem to be getting some massive post meal highs, however my bloods aren't consistent from day to day today's post breakfast level was good after a hypo though. I used to be the same looking for success stories but unfortunately it's always the bad things you see isn't it. If it make you feel better I have a healthy 4 and a half year old born at 37 weeks, my bloods were good through that pregnancy but even better through this one as I now have a pump. Are you on a pump? I did experience the same in that pregnancy too where abdominal circumference went high on the graph from about 30 weeks. If you want to inbox me/email/add me in Facebook to chat let me know xx

aditi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's hard not having anyone who 100% knows what a diabetic pregnancy is like isn't it, or to be on hand to have a rant or ask their advice. I'm realllly feeling it at the moment. I'm 33+5 now going for weekly growth and artery Doppler scans as at 32 weeks baby just shot off the abdominal circumference graph. They're aiming to get me to 37 weeks now but taking it weekly as to what the scans show :s those last months are tough as your insulin requirements do just shoot through the roof and it seems to get worse and worse (sorry to tell you this just be prepared). I have found that eating any breakfast is a no no for me at the minute I seem to be getting some massive post meal highs, however my bloods aren't consistent from day to day today's post breakfast level was good after a hypo though. I used to be the same looking for success stories but unfortunately it's always the bad things you see isn't it. If it make you feel better I have a healthy 4 and a half year old born at 37 weeks, my bloods were good through that pregnancy but even better through this one as I now have a pump. Are you on a pump? I did experience the same in that pregnancy too where abdominal circumference went high on the graph from about 30 weeks. If you want to inbox me/email/add me in Facebook to chat let me know xx
Hey Katie!

Wow you are at 32 weeks.. keep the enthu going lady.. i am more than definite everything will be fine.. remain positive!

thats scary no breakfast! i wonder how i ll be able to manage that! yea i know what you mean about those stories bit.. yea i am on the pump.. sorry but i am really new to this forum and can't even find a way to message you here! can i have your email id? and then we can connect.. or maybe u can drop me a message with your email id on this forum..

healthy 4 and half year old.. thats inspiring! was that a normal delivery?

good luck with everything.. be positive!

K8tie_x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It was a failed induction so ended up in a caesarean and she was back to back too which probably didn't help with progress in labour. She was 7lb 10oz at 37 weeks. I've been ok with breakfast up until recently but I remember last pregnancy needing a 7:1 ratio at breakfast when I was still on 2:1/3:1 the rest if the day, I get the dawn phenomenon which doesn't help with the morning readings at all. I often feel dizzy and light headed though in the morning so done days have no choice but to eat. It's this point in the pregnancy that babies pile alot of their weight on so I try to be as strict as possible with myself. Ill inbox you my email

slc1988

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi ladies. So please to read this it can feel quite alone being pregnant and type 1. Im struggling with hypos and spikes (to about 10) I have a 4 year old who did well as bs were much worse with her. Im 13 and a bit weeks :) x

K8tie_x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's hard to get the balance between hypos and stability isn't it when your pregnant. I'm trying to eat as little amount of carbs as possible especially in a morning as this is when I have the big spikes. I can tolerate more carbs in the afternoon but still get lots of unexpected hypos. I just try and check as much as possible as sometimes I miss the warning signs and don't start to feel it while about 2.5 so just be careful with that. Slc I've got a 4 year old too but wasn't on an insulin pump with that pregnancy and I am now, I thought my control was good with my first but the pump has made my control much much better. Are you on a pump or do you inject?

Well I'm 35+2 and baby was measuring really big at 32 weeks, his growth has slowed down though now and he seems to be steadily growing on a normal growth line which I'm so happy about. Fingers crossed if he stays growing steadily I will get as close to 38 weeks as possible, hoping to go into natural labour but not holding my breath!!