cholesterol advice with low carbing

Disneyfan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
been low carbing for almost 2 years since diagnosis. Lost five and a half stone (plus an extra two that I lost before diagnosis) so down to 10.5 from almost 18 stone. I'm 44 (as of yesterday!) my 4 hba1cs since losing weight have been 36, 31, 36 and 35 (last week). Total cholesterol has been 4.9, 4.5, 4.9 and last week 5.4 ... so I've been called back and 'offered' statins (which I declined).

My hdl is 1.9, my ldl is 3.5. Can't remeber the triglyceride number but it's ok, and my ratio is therefore 3. How can I bring the ldl down? She gave me the whole eat brown rice/bread/pasta stay off the mayo/cheese and cream routine. The reason I reckon it's up is now I'm not trying to lose weight I'm snacking on cheese and baking with almond flour. I'm not overwowed by cheese, it's just the easiest thing to snack on that's low carb. Any better alternatives??

adnil

I came off Gliclazide last August to go on 5:2 diet plan. Haven't looked back, have lost 2 stone, 5" around chest, 7" around waist and 5" around hIps. I have just started on a low carb diet went to get my blood sugar results from nurse today good and bad news BS 6.2 however cholesterol up from 3.5 to 5.3 and BP 153/85 help. I can't work out what I am doing wrong unless it is cutting out my porridge first thing in the morning. It's like two steps forward three steps back. I have to go back in three months time for a fasting blood test. I am also on Simvastatin and metformin. B

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I shouldn't worry if I were you. I have similar numbers to yours but told my DSN with whom I discussed this that the fact that my HDL was so good probably meant my LDL were few, large, fluffy and benign.She was mildly impressed with my knowledge in this matter as it was "new" science.

I will never eat statins, ever, and my GP is OK with this as he himself went off them due to side effects.

My triglyceride were 0.9 but I expect them to go lower now that I am on strict LCHF.

Reactions: 5 people

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This might be a stupid question but is almond flour a low carb food?
By comparison to most other flours, definitely. It's a staple in lowcarb baking for that reason.

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Almonds and almond flour is ok in moderation. Some nuts are quite high in carbs, cashew for example, but almonds, hazel nuts and walnuts are a bit lower.

Reactions: 2 people

maggie2

I have just come a visit to the gp and am happy to say my Hbalc has come down from 6.7 to 6.4 which apparently is ok for my age - 76 but he says your cholesterol is too high LDL 1.6 (maybe different way of counting in France where I live) and suggested statins.
I refused. Why??? gave explanation and left it at that. I just wondered if anyone else has found an increase whilst low carbing.
Would love to hear read comments as I am unsure what to do now.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
flour-comparison-chart-31.png

Reactions: 2 people