What do you eat

Jordansmum

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am really struggling to find things to eat I am living on two cups of Cheerios and a salad a day will I be on a diet for life .thanks

Lizzy5172

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
This is what I normally eat...2 egg cheese omelette for breakfast, large salad with ham,beef, chicken for lunch and fish, meat and loads of vegetables for tea. Nuts for a snack if needed, sugar free jelly if I need something sweet. Diet no, way of life yes. Please do eat more than you are or you will get very bored and crumble. Good luck :)

Reactions: 6 people

Jordansmum

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you for your reply I am veggie so finding it hard can I still eat things like baked beans? I am really missing bread and potatoes which probably what made this way in the first place.

Lizzy5172

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I would choose the low sugar baked beans and also cheese is good. Do you have meat substitute like quorn? Why not have a lovely stir fry with parmesan sprinkled over, delicious. I am sure you would find lots of different things to cook on the forum for recipes etc.

Reactions: 2 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't know how adventurous you are with food, or your budget, but there are masses of low carb snacks and interesting foods. But it needs a change in thinking...

These are lower carb, but you still may need to be careful:
  • Mashed carrot and swede
  • Mashed sweet potato
  • Sweet potato oven fries have recently appeared in my local tescos freezer section!
Really low carb options are
  • Mashed cauliflower, especially with cheese!!!! Yum
  • Mashed haricot beans (buy a tin, drain, mash, add butter, microwave)
Snacks with raw carrots or celery, or by the spoon
  • Guacamole
  • Hummus
  • Cheese
  • Greek yogurt
There's a thread on here of the most fabulous low carb recipes - I highly recommend the creamy cabbage. Mr B actually put a cabbage in the shopping trolley last week. Which gives an indication of how wonderful it is :wideyed:

this is too difficult

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes
Lo
Thank you for your reply I am veggie so finding it hard can I still eat things like baked beans? I am really missing bread and potatoes which probably what made this way in the first place.
Low sugar and salt Heinz baked beans seem to have very litle effect on me. Unfortunately bread doesnt work well for me. I have a risotto made with barley instead of rice sometimes.

Batholith

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi
Here are some of my no-carb or low-carb favourites:

Stir fried veg (6 or 7 different ones sliced up fine fry in olive oil) with a lightly cooked omelet. I push the veg up the side of the wok and fry the beaten egg in the middle.
Almond, Watercress and Tomato salad.
Peanut butter thinly spread on multi seed crackers
A square of Lindt 90% cocoa chocolate
Tomato juice (it is about 1/3 the carb content to fruit juice) with a squirt of Encona hot pepper sauce.
Rollmop with green salad.

None of these raise my BG by much
Cheers

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Hi Jordansmum :)

Cheerios are about 74% carbohydrate, so pretty bad for your blood glucose levels. The good news is that there is an abundance of delicious, healthy meals for T2 veggies.

I have been following a low carb/high, healthy fat diet since Christmas and have managed to bring my bg levels right down, lost 30 pounds and am not hungry. There are loads of meal ideas and recipes on this forum.

My meals today are quite typical of what I eat:

Breakfast: cheesy omelette
Lunch: veggie strawberry jelly (the wobbly kind) with blueberries and Greek yoghurt. Decaf coffee with double cream
Dinner: chickpea and veg ratatouille with grilled haloumi and salad leaves. Got a low carb almond muffin from the freezer defrostoing for later too. I want a treat because I am working on Good Friday..boooo! Maybe a glass of lemon vodka later too for the same reason :woot:

This is my first Easter as a T2. I will not miss out on the chocfest - got some 85% cocoa chocolate, blueberries and almonds.

Opalshards

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Liars, thieves, users, cruelty, doing the washing up. Lol
2 Coddled eggs on seeded toast with Flora pro active spread, Mackerel in tomatoes sauce on toast.
I love Cauliflower cheese as a meal or with Carbonara sauce.
Veg Curry, Veg Goulash. Your favourite veg roasted.
Fresh fruit, nuts, seeds, No need to starve or be on such a restricted diet.

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
hi, as mentioned there is alot you can eat, being veggie will make eating less carbs more challenging but im sure its doable, on the up side being a veggie has already been a challenge so you may be used to trying to figure out foods

cheerios? lol you may as well eat the bread

nuts are a great snack, eating too little is not a great idea, you will have to do some research to make this work, as already said there are a zillion recipes on here, quorn is low carb far as i know (never tried it) i eat alot of stuffed mushrooms, i buy them ready made from the veggie section of the supermarkets, they are a meal on there own

best of luck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Don't give up on potatoes. Many varieties of new potato are fine to eat and also some not new potatoes providing you have found out their effect on you using a meter. All is not lost.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Reactions: 6 people

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
i just ate a whole 70% egg, once i started i couldnt stop :( 40g per 100g carbs, not sure how heavy the egg was, but i feel as sick as a dog now lol what a moron, least i wont care about not eating chocolate now for the rest of easter

A

Avocado Sevenfold

i just ate a whole 70% egg, once i started i couldnt stop :( 40g per 100g carbs, not sure how heavy the egg was, but i feel as sick as a dog now lol what a moron, least i wont care about not eating chocolate now for the rest of easter
Aaww nevermind. A quick 26 mile jog should burn off that sugar in no time :D

Reactions: 4 people
A

Avocado Sevenfold

It's interesting though

70% choc = 40% carbs
85% choc = 18% carbs

I don't know if there is much difference in taste as I haven't tried the 70%. Maybe a passing connoisseur could help.

(Sorry for the hijack Jordansmum)

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
the 70% tastes like milk chocolate to me, id have prefered 85% but it was a present

Yup, appologies, ill shup

Jordansmum

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you all for th replies .good thing to hear I can still have cauliflower cheese didn't think I would be able. Funny thing is the diabetes dr mentioned Cheerios and Special K to me but when I looked at Special K it seemed to have a
Ot more carbs in it.had a really hard night last had a good look around the Internet and it all seems depressing feel like I have been given a death sentence.

My levels seem to be going down this morning my fasting one was 102 when I was tested it was 143 hoping that is good?
Also lost between 6 and 10 lbs (don't know how good my scales are ). Just wish I was not so depressed.

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
not a death sentence at all! in fact for many, its a life sentence, without the changes db forced me to make im sure i would have lived a much shorter existence, i understand how you fell though, when i first read up on it i was waiting to check out at any second, with some lifestyle changes no reason not to live a long happy life, maybe longer and happier than before db

Reactions: 7 people