Chocolate

Ambersilva

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Chocolate is good fat so we can eat it. My dietician says so.

She's got a degree in whatever so knows it all. Doesn't she? ;)

Stick to the dark 85% or more stuff though. I like to drop a square or two into my coffee, or to dunk it in hot coffee. :D

saloplass

Insist on getting a monitor and test strips on prescription - it is the only way you can see what food is doing to you glucose levels. Perhaps your surgery is just trying to save money??? My surgery said they did not want me to have a monitor because they did not want me to get stressed, what an absolute load of nonsense!! My levels are far better controlled as I can see what I am before a meal, and adjust accordingly.

Reactions: 2 people

pippi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
thete is no way they will let me have one lol
i will know by next hba1c if its come down or not and if not will then kick off again lol

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

ne0h

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Don't listen to the drama queens (and drama kings) who say you can't eat this and that. I eat lots of kitkats, mars, snickers and double decker chocolate bars when I feel like it. A small chocolate bar is neither here nor there and won't change anything dramatically. If you ask me, there are too many people using scare tactics to dictate what you should and should not have. I read on another forum someone who was going on about fish and chips being 'bad'. How & since when can a bag of traditional fish and chips be bad for anyone? In my view you don't have to worry about counting calories / carbs and looking at food labels - just use common sense and eat normally.

pippi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
i am soo relieved to jear that ne0h lol
i am concentrating predominately on losing weight hoping that will reduce sugars x

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Vegas

Hi all

First time commenting-no surprises it's regarding chocolate :) After years of struggling I've only recently discovered here and how reducing carbs has made a massive difference to my bs levels. Sorry if I appear thick but when I look for low sugar I check the label as per 100g and have been trying to do the same for carbs however, if I'm reading the comments right it's more about the number of carbs in what I eat rather than looking at per 100gram (I hope this is making sense) any advice appreciated greatly as any chance I can include chocolate into my diet would be welcomed!
Thanks all

K

Kat100

Dark chocolate .....well one year ago I hated it .......

Now one year on and I keep a secret stash just in case.....I like 70%

You could start at 60% and work upwards ......it does get better really....x

Reactions: 2 people

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Don't listen to the drama queens (and drama kings) who say you can't eat this and that. I eat lots of kitkats, mars, snickers and double decker chocolate bars when I feel like it. A small chocolate bar is neither here nor there and won't change anything dramatically. If you ask me, there are too many people using scare tactics to dictate what you should and should not have. I read on another forum someone who was going on about fish and chips being 'bad'. How & since when can a bag of traditional fish and chips be bad for anyone? In my view you don't have to worry about counting calories / carbs and looking at food labels - just use common sense and eat normally.
That's all very well saying that, but there are many diabetics who have to control their illness by restricting their carbohydrate intake because their bodies aren't able to handle them properly - if they do otherwise they can end up in serious trouble. People who go on low carbohydrate diets do it for a very good reason, and are not going to thank you for telling them to eat normally!

Robbity

Reactions: 9 people

ne0h

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That's all very well saying that, but there are many diabetics who have to control their illness by restricting their carbohydrate intake because their bodies aren't able to handle them properly - if they do otherwise they can end up in serious trouble. People who go on low carbohydrate diets do it for a very good reason, and are not going to thank you for telling them to eat normally!

Robbity
There are way to many rumours and fad diet ideas going around. The idea that you have to go on a 'low carb' diet is nonsense and is not recommended by Doctors. I am diabetic and I am not going to be intimidated by all of the false stories about what i can and cannot eat. The harsh truth is that a lot of people need to get off their backsides and do some exercise. Obviously, if people sit and eat all day without adequate exercise they are going to develop diabetes yet people don't want to hear this. Most want the easy answers.

Ambersilva

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Well done you.

If you can eat all that stuff and maintain blood sugar at safe levels, then you are probably not a typical diabetic.

Reactions: 10 people

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
NeOh
Are you deliberately trying to encourage people to eat a diet that could harm them ?
CAROL

Reactions: 5 people

Mazzer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
NeOh, I have been reading some of your past posts and you seem to be a very negative person, and I don't think it is a good idea to state that most people want easy answers. Some people are unable to exercise because of other medical problems and need to cut their carbs to maintain their blood sugars. Also nobody is trying to intimidate you, if you don't like what people are saying, then don't read it. If you can eat all those chocolate bars and not get high sugar levels then you are extremely lucky, but perhaps you don't test as your doctor has probably told you not to.

Reactions: 8 people

ne0h

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
NeOh, I have been reading some of your past posts and you seem to be a very negative person, and I don't think it is a good idea to state that most people want easy answers. Some people are unable to exercise because of other medical problems and need to cut their carbs to maintain their blood sugars. Also nobody is trying to intimidate you, if you don't like what people are saying, then don't read it. If you can eat all those chocolate bars and not get high sugar levels then you are extremely lucky, but perhaps you don't test as your doctor has probably told you not to.
I am entitled to hold and state my own opinion on a topic am I not? Why do people like you feel the need to resort to personal attacks when something is written that you disapprove of? I do not appreciate your tone which is clearly an attempt to intimidate me. If you have nothing positive to contribute why bother posting?

ne0h

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
NeOh
Are you deliberately trying to encourage people to eat a diet that could harm them ?
CAROL
Of course I am not trying to encourage people to eat a diet to harm them. I am trying to do the opposite and remove that fear that certain people - especially around here - are trying to instil in everyone. It is counter productive to become obsessed about food labels and weight and simply causes people to become miserable. All I am saying is that generally people should loosen up and eat what they fancy in moderation (with exercise) . There is no need to follow all these fancy 'low carb' diets and other silly diets that some people are promoting. Neither is there a need to test glucose levels three times a day. All these things create fear and simply make people miserable and worried.

Ambersilva

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
ne0h,

I knew a diabetic who would not listen to advice given to her by her consultant or anyone else. She ate all the high carb stuff that you spoke about. She couldn't feel her feet so frequently had bleeding blisters that failed to heal. She also suffered from double incontinence and did not realise that toilet accidents had happened. She began to have frequent falls. The killer blow came when she had a bleed in the brain stem area that affected her ability to breath. Being in a coma and unable to breathe brought about a swift end.

Reactions: 4 people

Mazzer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am entitled to hold and state my own opinion on a topic am I not? Why do people like you feel the need to resort to personal attacks when something is written that you disapprove of? I do not appreciate your tone which is clearly an attempt to intimidate me. If you have nothing positive to contribute why bother posting?

Of course you are entitled to hold and state your own opinion, but what you are doing is telling people not to listen to people that are giving advice about "low carb and other silly diets" that works for most people on this forum, enabling them to keep good control their blood sugars. Most people are more worried about ending up with complications by eating things like fish and chips and bars of chocolate. I for one am not obsessed with food labels, nor am I miserable, I am happier, less fearful and miserable knowing what my blood glucose is doing. You can eat as much fish and chips as you like and as many chocolate bars as you like nobody is telling you not to do this, but if people want to follow a diet that suits them and they want to test their bg 15 times a day, what right do you have to tell people that they don't need to, that is your opinion, and if it suits you, carry on. Nobody is trying to instil anything into anyone, everyone on here has a choice and they make their own informed decisions based on what they have tried and tested and what works for them.

Reactions: 9 people