Bad lipids?

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Cholesterol 7.6 (target <5, <4 diabetics)
HDL 1.57 (target >1)
LDL 4.99 (target <3, <2 diabetics)
Triglycerides 2.31 (target <1.7)
TC/HDL ratio 4.84 (target <4)

The hospital want me to go on statins and get my LDL under 2. I guess they have a point - these lipid scores are *****. :-(

What do people think? Would you go on statins with these scores?

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
your tri and HDL are good enough. It depends what type of LDL it is, the big fluffy ones or the small dense ones that do the damage. if you are really hesitant about the statins, you could ask for the LDL type test.

as you can see in my sig. the statins are very effective if that what you want

Reactions: 2 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My answer to your question.... Would you go on statins with these scores? No, personally I wouldn't. However, I am type 2 and I notice you are type 1. Not sure if being type 1 means higher cholesterol is worse for you? I can't find my last blood test results but my total cholesterol is generally a bit less than yours ... around 6.
Your HDL is way better than mine. The best mine has been in the last 7 years is 1.0. Consequently your TC/HDL ratio is better than mine.

I would not take statins because of the possible side effects. I have spent much of the last 17 years suffering from fatigue, lethargy and muscle pains, so there is no way I would take statins and risk having these side effects. I went to a naturopath a few years back and she told me my total cholesterol was fine ( 6.2 then) and that she felt NHS guidelines on cholesterol were far too strict.

I have a friend (male, in his 40's) who was put on statins because his total cholesterol was very high (15+). He suffered badly from fatigue whilst on them and the drugs only lowered his cholesterol level to 12.5. In the end he gave them up as the cost to his health was too high.

So, in answer to your question...Would I take statins with your scores? No, never
Should you take them? I don't know

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 6 people

Mazzer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Spiker, I have been on Simverstatin for years and have not had any side affects apart from weird dreams, my Husband also takes statins, as he has a heart problem, but has not had any of the side affects that other people have experienced.

You can only give them a go and see how you get on.

Marilyn

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks Mazzer. I tried atorvastatin and simvastatin before and both made me very tired and stupid dopey.

Omar101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance, laziness.
Hi Spiker, just curious as to what your diet consists of and what your HBa1c history is.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Spiker, just curious as to what your diet consists of and what your HBa1c history is.
Hi Omar

My Hba1c has been deteriorating over the years and is now in the high 9% range, not good. My diet is honestly a poor effort at low carb with many lapses.

Mazzer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks Mazzer. I tried atorvastatin and simvastatin before and both made me very tired and stupid dopey.

Hi Spiker, my husband felt tired on simvastatin and asked the doc to change them, he now take pravastatin which he feels fine on.

Omar101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance, laziness.
Hi Omar

My Hba1c has been deteriorating over the years and is now in the high 9% range, not good. My diet is honestly a poor effort at low carb with many lapses.
Well it seems you know what you need to do.

Personally I would only go with statins if good diet and control were not helping.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
TBH with those high levels I would be looking at statins Spker, there are alternatives to Sim and artovastatin so it might be worth mentioning this to your gp if you've not already discussed them.

I don't know what sort of diet you follow but foods like oats and linseeds can help lower cholesterol, also exercise is said to be hugely beneficial when it comes to lowering bad cholesterol so do try and get active if not already there.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The doc said my total cholesterol was high so I should go on statins. I said TC is meaningless so run me a full lipid profile and that might persuade me. TBH I was expecting her to run VLDL which is the most persuasive measure. If I stick to my guns the only metric I care about is the HDL/LDL ratio. Mine is only 12% over. So maybe one last shot at getting that down by diet and exercise. I could see it as an opportunity. If I can get the ratio down with LCHF that might change some minds at the hospital.

Or I could try one of the statins I haven't tried yet.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 4 people

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Spiker, I have been on Simverstatin for years and have not had any side affects apart from weird dreams, my Husband also takes statins, as he has a heart problem, but has not had any of the side affects that other people have experienced.

You can only give them a go and see how you get on.

Marilyn
I have had side effects with 2 statins that impair my ability to work. If I had heart trouble then I would take statins, because that would put me in the only group for which there is evidence showing that statins work.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Spiker, my husband felt tired on simvastatin and asked the doc to change them, he now take pravastatin which he feels fine on.
Cheers maybe I will ask for those. As the NHS is desperate for me to take statins maybe they will give me whatever kind I ask for, money no object! :)

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My total cholesterol is very similar to yours, a bit lower 6.x, but I have a very much higher HDL adn lower LDL. My HDL is over 1/2 of the total. I've had two doctors both independently see my readings and say that they would not recommend statins in my case as my ratio and HDL are good.

I'm with Noblehead here on the diet factors. I eat oats regularly, mostly daily if I'm home; also lots of nuts, seeds, regular oily fish and eggs.

I also exercise very regularly.

Reactions: 4 people

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Well it seems you know what you need to do.

Personally I would only go with statins if good diet and control were not helping.
Well unfortunately, knowing is not the same as doing. I agree with you however.

I actually asked the NHS for help with diet compliance. It was quite hard to ask for help. Instead they gave me a pump. Which I am grateful for. But I still need diet help. :-(

Reactions: 3 people

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
The two things I find to have the greatest impact on cholesterol are exercise (good), wine (bad).

In your situation I'd try to be honest with myself: Am I going to change my diet and exercise and bring down my HbA1c in the near future? If not, take the statins. I believe high HbA1c + bad lipid profile = disaster. I know some people disagree.

Smidge

Reactions: 3 people

Mazzer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Spiker, what sort of help do you need regarding your diet?

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Just help with compliance and carb cravings. I asked for hypnotherapy, pramlintide, low dose naltrexone (LDN). Refused. I got a pump. Oh well.